When Referees Try To Be Heroes

Christhammer

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I know it's a tough job, I know mistakes can be made either way.......

But please let the fighters fight.... Even if you were 90% sure TJ was done he's earned the right to try and survive a bad exchange to come back or go to sleep.

No one would have complained if the Kongo fight was stopped. Fighters health is important. I don't wanna see fighters end up talking like Chuck

I get what you are saying but this is not a street fight

Refs first job should be to protect the fighter

Poor Barry.
Same shit happened vs CroCop.

No one would have complained if the Kongo fight was stopped. Fighters health is important. I don't wanna see fighters end up talking like Chuck

1. It's not up to you, these are grown ass adults in a combat sport
2. Chuck has always sounded goofy (no offense Iceman)

I get what you are saying but this is not a street fight

Refs first job should be to protect the fighter

It is their first job, but TJ was dazed and not unconscious. With your vanilla definition you can stop a fight after the first strike is landed "to protect the fighter."

I swear most fans would rather see a Frank Mir vs Carwin situation then a maybe a bit early stoppage

BCHY5TH.gif

UFC is on ESPN now

You will most likely start seeing a bunch of early stoppages

1. It's not up to you, these are grown ass adults in a combat sport
2. Chuck has always sounded goofy (no offense Iceman)

It's not up to you, either. It's up to the refs, and stopping a fight because a fighter is taking shots, flush, without defending is their #1 job. That's why they are there. No, don't "let them fight" when one fighter isn't able to defend himself.

I get it, you wanted a longer fight, or you were rooting for TJ. It's up to him to put up a fight if it's going to continue, not for the referee to allow him to take unnecessary brain damage when he isn't able to do his part.

I swear most fans would rather see a Frank Mir vs Carwin situation then a maybe a bit early stoppage

BCHY5TH.gif

No but not at all comparable

Mir was legit out

Tj was moving and trying to cover up

I know it's a tough job, I know mistakes can be made either way.......

But please let the fighters fight.... Even if you were 90% sure TJ was done he's earned the right to try and survive a bad exchange to come back or go to sleep.

Yeah and after that the referee will be roasting by the same people who complain on early stoppage.

Liddell's brain being the state it is in has nothing to do with referee stoppages, and everything to do with him fighting past his prime being KO'd over and over again.

We should be thankful for the Kongo/Berry fight not being stopped early, and we shouldn't pretend that early stoppages are not a problem.

It is their first job, but TJ was dazed and not unconscious. With your vanilla definition you can stop a fight after the first strike is landed "to protect the fighter."
TJ dropped like he was made out of jello. He goy flash KOed and woke back up when Henry hit him again, shit was only going to get worse and considering how hard a cut TJ had the ref did the right thing.

People are only questioning it cause TJ rolled over in slow motion and tried to grab a leg after the ref stopped it and Henry was walking away. Had the ref given him 5 more seconds we wouldn't be having this conversation and TJ may be in a coma. Ref did his job here, just look at how TJ gets up at first before he has the cage to hold him up.

90% of people were convinced TJ walks threw Henry and are now just grasping at straws to try and justify him getting steamrolled in a little over 30 seconds, TJ included.

They are not a problem though
Although not a common problem, this fight exemplifies why they are a problem.

Dillashaw was not done, he was not finished, and we can only speculate about what the outcome had been had the referee not stopped it early.

I’ve watched the finish a few times now. I don’t think TJ was even hurt when he got up. Wasn’t stumbling all over the place, wasn’t grabbing onto the cage. I think this was a really poor decision.

Back