when is a weight advantage a weight advantage?

A weight advantage is a weight advantage when the skill level is equal.

I really have to laugh when people claim they've never rolled with someone so strong it took away their game. If that is truly the case you are either a god amongst men or not training with very strong people

Assuming skill is equivalent, or similar... even 10 pounds makes a HUGE difference.

When the guy is good - 1 weight class means a huge difference.
When the guy sucks - sometimes 150lbs aint shit.

I weigh around 175, the guys over 210 can give me trouble if they're the same belt or above, its mostly about using my spped and flexibility advantage to survive until they tire out, or i will go for a high percentage finish fast.

I really have to laugh when people claim they've never rolled with someone so strong it took away their game. If that is truly the case you are either a god amongst men or not training with very strong people

Just another day in the UHW division, bro.

I'm 132 pounds and I struggle to roll with anyone that weighs 150 pounds or more but I'm a white belt so maybe this will change.

Anyone who weighs more than you has a 'weight advantage' the same way you likely have some other 'advantage' over that person as well. Being smarter than someone is an advantage, being more flexible, faster, etc are all advantages, they only matter if you are able to use them effectively. Ive rolled with some guys bigger than me who even after a year of training still had little base and could be easily swept or pushed/pulled, and guys who from day 1 set their weight down and are hard as hell to move.

The only time you should be concerned with a weight advantage is when rolling with someone who seems oblivious to the fact that they are much bigger than you, and rolls recklessly and could hurt you.

if the guy is similar in technical skill level then anything 20 lbs or more.

got a blue belt or two probably a little less technically skilled then me at my gym but they are both 6'2 to 6'3 and 250-275 lbs and they tend to smash through me especially once I start getting tired. (i'm 5'11'' 200 lbs) so 50-75 lb weight advantage even though a little less skilled

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back