when is a weight advantage a weight advantage?

machomang

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
i'm about 180, white belt, and i notice i start to struggle with guys when they are about 20 lbs heavier than me.

i'm sure it's tougher for lower weight classes to deal with guys who have a smaller weight advantage, or is it?? anyways, what's the weight advantage you guys start to struggle with?

for me the sweet spot is around 30 - 40lbs I notice that the guy is beast...but also its work the other way round, rolling with someone 30 - 40 less then me I feel "big" I'm 5 ft 7 and 180.

But I wouldn't say I struggle with the weight advantage even though I only do no gi, I personally struggle vs certain body types or styles as opposed to straight up weight, Mainly long thin people

A weight advantage is a weight advantage when it is a weight advantage.

I've rolled with guys who've outweighed me by 45lbs - me being 220lbs - who've felt fairly light, and against 180lbers who've felt like a ton of bricks.

It's all in the technique and how you use your weight - actual weight is merely a factor in the equation.

Although my long limbs seem to help me deal with a weight advantage (to a point) at 150(ish) pounds, 30 pounds of disadvantage the roll begins to look significantly different. But, partners and opponents like that tend to reveal the strong points of your game like nothing else.

When the heavy guy is better than you technically.

With guys at my own level, I "feel" like I am at a disadvantage with about 40 or 50 pounds. Anything less than that, and I consider us "basically the same size". I'm 210# so I don't even think about it unless they guy is 250# +

a weight advantage is always a weight advantage. thats why they have weight classes.

a weight advantage is always a weight advantage. thats why they have weight classes.

But even within a weigh class, you can have 20 pounds between people in the same weight class. In UHW, I have seen 100# + weight discrepancies.

i'm sure it's tougher for lower weight classes to deal with guys who have a smaller weight advantage

In my experience that has been the case. In the lower weight classes each pound holds more significance proportionately.

Depends on the person, but usually around 20+ kilos or 50+ pounds I feel like I'm fucked. :icon_chee

Anyone who beats you automatically has a weight advantage.

When you are lighter and getting your ass kicked it's a weight advantage, when you are heavier and kicking ass it's not a weight advantage duh

I have never rolled with someone whose weight / strength has caused me to struggle / condense my game but really probably about 20lb is a noticeable difference. 50lb weight disadvantage = sh*t just got real.

When I started Jiu Jitsu maybe 6 years ago I was 6'3" 165ish lbs. I then took a 4ish year break during which time I started lifting weights regularly and eating more (thanks strength sub-forum). I came back about a month ago at 190lbs and the difference in being able to maintain side control and mount is NIGHT and DAY.

Not to mention when I try and move somebody, they actually move now. Size and strength is important, all other things being equal.

Back