When does Deadwood get good?

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
I'm like on episode 4 and while I appreciate the performances I don't feel like anything is happening yet. This is my second time trying to watch it, and its not that I don't like it - I just forget about it and come back to the next episode weeks later

I know shows like this are a slow burn

should i keep going? Does it get good? Is it dated and I missed the time to watch it?

You'll hear the term "cock sucker" be used more frequently.

I'm like on episode 4 and while I appreciate the performances I don't feel like anything is happening yet. This is my second time trying to watch it, and its not that I don't like it - I just forget about it and come back to the next episode weeks later

should i keep going? Does it get good? Is it dated and I missed the time to watch it?
I had this problem with The Wire. Every one totes it like it's the greatest show on earth. But it was boring as all fuck.

As for Deadwood though it picks up, stick with it. It helps if you like movies and shows or are interested in that wild west period though.

Cocksucka

It is what it is. Just like The Wire. I am a big fan of both.

Both are based loosely on history. Deadwood about actual Deadeood. And The Wire based on the creators experience as a cop on Bmore, and the main story arc with Barksdale is in reference to the drug lord he helped bring down, who is also in the show as a deacon.

I really enjoy the attention to detail and trying to make it as realistic as possible. Sometimes that can be slow paced tho.

You have to understand that Deadwood is presented more like a staged theatrical performance. Hence the Shakespearean dialogue (modified with a healthy dose of profanities) and long soliloquies. I think it's the second best HBO show ever, but it's not for everyone. If you aren't hooked by the 4th episode more episodes won't change that.

It is what it is. Just like The Wire. I am a big fan of both.

Both are based loosely on history. Deadwood about actual Deadeood. And The Wire based on the creators experience as a cop on Bmore, and the main story arc with Barksdale is in reference to the drug lord he helped bring down, who is also in the show as a deacon.

I really enjoy the attention to detail and trying to make it as realistic as possible. Sometimes that can be slow paced tho.
You have to understand that Deadwood is presented more like a staged theatrical performance. Hence the Shakespearean dialogue (modified with a healthy dose of profanities) and long soliloquies. I think it's the second best HBO show ever, but it's not for everyone. If you aren't hooked by the 4th episode more episodes won't change that.

See I really like the Wire
and usually slow burn stories are up my alley. I just don't think any of the characters are worth caring about, and that seems pretty important to a show like this

See I really like the Wire
and usually slow burn stories are up my alley. I just don't think any of the characters are worth caring about, and that seems pretty important to a show like this

true, I guess the main character played by Olyphant is not nearly as charismatic as McNulty.

Well, the overall tone and pace of the show never changes, so it might just not be for you. There are of course amazing story arcs within, but if you find yourself tuning out, not paying much attention and getting lost, it might just not be holding your attention.

You definitely want to binge it though. At least two episodes a day. Don't be taking three week breaks, or anything. I'd suggest at least giving the entire first season a proper go, before deciding if you like it or not.

Personally, I think it's one of greatest shows ever made, but you can't please everyone.

Well, the overall tone and pace of the show never changes, so it might just not be for you. There are of course amazing story arcs within, but if you find yourself tuning out, not paying much attention and getting lost, it might just not be holding your attention.

You definitely want to binge it though. At least two episodes a day. Don't be taking three week breaks, or anything. I'd suggest at least giving the entire first season a proper go, before deciding if you like it or not.

Personally, I think it's one of greatest shows ever made, but you can't please everyone.
Thanks

I think I'm going to binge through some of the season today and see if I'm into it. I mean part of the reason is just that my attention wanders during scenes with characters I dont care about yet, and when I refocus I'm slightly lost and then further out of it.

Again to reference the wire, i had this issue in the second season of the wire the first time I watched it- but after I got through it I find it the be a masterful season

I'm on the same boat. I watched a few episodes years ago and hadn't continued since. I still might someday given all the great reviews.

I had this problem with The Wire. Every one totes it like it's the greatest show on earth. But it was boring as all fuck.

As for Deadwood though it picks up, stick with it. It helps if you like movies and shows or are interested in that wild west period though.

Cocksucka

After reading and hearing about the wire, it seemed like a show I would love and I wanted so badly to like it, but I agree, it was extremely boring and I stopped after a few episodes...

I remember not liking it too much the first time around. I dont remember how I decided to rewatch it, but at this point, I've seen it 5x and think it's amazing.

Just try to appreciate E.B Farnum as the weakest little groveling asswipe you've ever seen. That should help a bit.

I tried my damned hardest to get into it, I struggled with the accents and gave up I think 3 or 4 episodes in.

Back