When do jiu jitsu classes normally start grappling stand up live?

Andrewwawa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is this only in preparation for tournaments? Starting from blue belt on?

I am new and understand it can be dangerous and all of that, and its not a huge deal to me but startin from stand up is the most interesting to me.

we drill stand up takedowns but never live.

Every school is different.

Where I work out we do live judo/wrestling every class once you can do a breakfall. I have been to BJJ schools that NEVER do standing sparring.

usually, only the couple of weeks before tournaments

I've been drilling stand up and starting rolls from standing since day 1 (although we usually start from the floor due to lack of space). Every school is different though.

We always start from standing at my school, unless there are too many people on the mats and not enough room, then we start from knees.

Every school is different.

Where I work out we do live judo/wrestling every class once you can do a breakfall. I have been to BJJ schools that NEVER do standing sparring.

This has been my experience as well.

It's not like there are some universal rules. It completely depends on your instructor.

Usually it's dependent on the space during straight BJJ. IF there is plenty of space and my partner wants to stand, we stand.

But we also have TD tuesdays in our MMA class to work standup.

I do my stand-up at Judo and Wrestling classes - I'm very much a top-oriented player and so spend about five hours a week training stand-up. It's very hard to persuade your average jiujiteiro to start standing mainly because a) if they know you have a Judo/Wrestling background and they don't they'd just buttflop/jump or pull guard straight away (yes, even in training . . . :rolleyes:) or make their excuses not to, b) lots of jiujiteiros are too scared of taking a fall from a live throw/takedown which, ironically, is because they don't practice live throws/takedowns much at all. For a martial art that emphasizes aliveness the lack of live training for takedowns and throws is bizarre.

i believe the competition team at my school works takedowns, and they also do judo as well, otherwise the rest of the time we just work from the ground. not everyone at our school competes, and not everyone wants to learn the standup portion because of the risk/reward in injury.

i do not fear takedowns and throws, i just don't want to deal with the consequences that could result in injury if i do not complete the falls correctly. since i am not competing, i don't really need to learn them at this stage in my life. however, if i did choose to compete, i could always do the butt-scoot

usually, only the couple of weeks before tournaments

This for most schools. This is also why most traditional BJJ schools have really poor takedowns. As a long time wrestler and now BJJ guy, trust me. Its a shame, I think it should be broken up more evenly, %50 on feet %50 on knees. Assuming you have the space of course.

I don't care if you're roger gracie, if you can't get the fight to the ground it doesn't matter how good your BJJ is, ask king Mo. Or go watch M. Garcia vs Kron Gracie from the last ADCC, the only reason Marcelo won was bc he trains wrestling a lot and has better takedowns than most people in BJJ.

When i compete in No gi tournaments, If the guy i'm fighting is really slick, i'll just hit a takedown, try to pass, if i cant, i'll stand up and hit a takedown again. Its cheap, but i don't mind Fitching through a couple tourneys. I'm proud of my wrestling roots. :)

Moral of the story...Wrestle!

Last edited:
please stop

Sorry, am i wrong? Everyone knows Marcelo trains a lot of wrestling. He hit Kron with a single leg takedown, and spent the rest of the match on top. Kron couldn't take Garcia down at the end.

did i say something that bothered you?

BTW i'm not hating on BJJ, i'm a 2 stripe purple belt, and i train exclusively in the Gi.

It depends on the place. If you never saw a blue belt doing standing training then do not expect to train it live.

Depends on the gym. At a lot of places, you'll need to arrange to train with some guys on your own time if you want to drill full speed or spar starting from the feet. It's normally a space issue.

Sinistro is adamant about starting from a standing position. Whenever there is room, we start standing.

Depends on your instructor. But for me it is normally before tournament we start standing up. Also whenever we practice takedowns in class we always do the sparring standing up.

Sometimes when they are few people we just start standing up without our instructor approval he doesnt seem to care much. But when gym is full always on the knee.

Wow, maybe it's just because a lot of the guys around here grow up wrestling (or because few gyms around here are straight BJJ), but I'm surprised that so many instructors only work live takedowns in the weeks leading up to a competition. That seems like a good way to get smashed on the feet in a tournament.

Back