When do jiu jitsu classes normally start grappling stand up live?

i will stand up if requested (usually 2 or three times out of a session) since im the wrestling coach. they always want to try to take me down.

I my previous school we always started rolling from the knees and sometimes had takedown classes/sparring. In my current school we do 5-10 min. takedowns every class and start always from standing.

Now that I am used to starting from standing, I absolutely hate starting the roll from the knees. It totally screws up the intensity and flow of the roll. I despise the knee wrestling/half-assed butterfly guard/feeling out period.

Usually after class or when our numbers are low on nogi night we start on our feet. On gi nights we sometimes start on our feet during when we go live and after class when it open mat time. Our coach is also a judo blackbelt and a former d-1 all american wrestler so he is good about incorporating stand up into our curriculium

Different by school and instructor and practitioner, really. I know folks who refuse to start from standing due to injury risk. My instructor usually won't let non-competitors start from standing unless they've had enough experience training it, even if both agree to do so.

When i compete in No gi tournaments, If the guy i'm fighting is really slick, i'll just hit a takedown, try to pass, if i cant, i'll stand up and hit a takedown again. Its cheap, but i don't mind Fitching through a couple tourneys. I'm proud of my wrestling roots. :)

Moral of the story...Wrestle!

Surely your opponent is under no obligation to stand up? They can just play guard and you need to engage?

Being at a school in Pittsburgh (wrasslin' country) we do "feet-to-floor" takedowns almost every single class. It helps a lot in becoming confident in starting a match standing, and you're allowed to pull guard most days. Usually we have two guys out, a line fills in and whoever scores points first wins. If you pull guard and don't sweep within about 30 seconds, you lose and go to the end of the line. I love it!

Being at a school in Pittsburgh (wrasslin' country) we do "feet-to-floor" takedowns almost every single class. It helps a lot in becoming confident in starting a match standing, and you're allowed to pull guard most days. Usually we have two guys out, a line fills in and whoever scores points first wins. If you pull guard and don't sweep within about 30 seconds, you lose and go to the end of the line. I love it!

That sounds like a pretty cool drill. And very intense.

That sounds like a pretty cool drill. And very intense.

It really is, especially in the bluebelt classes where we have a few D1 wrestlers regularly. Needless to say I'm usually out pretty fast when I get to them, but on a lucky day if I take down one or two guys in a row and stay "out", it gets really tiring. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a new format, it helps with people getting ready for competition! My takedowns were inadequate when I got there, now I'm at least confident and have a sort of stand-up "game".

It's rare to drill takedows at mine unless it's no-gi thursday. But one can always find a patner willing to drill anything.

you guys think it would be particularly rude to ask my coaches if and when they start working from standing?

you guys think it would be particularly rude to ask my coaches if and when they start working from standing?

I would think it'd be more appropriate to ask them for their help in developing options from that position, and inquire about opportunities to get more practice on those techniques.

Asking the question isn't rude, as long as you ask the right way. Don't frame it as them neglecting to give you what you need. If you want help on your takedowns, ask for help.

For example, "Do you guys ever plan on showing us some takedowns?" comes off a lot more snotty than "I'm interested in competing, but I feel like I need to get better at takedowns, could you please give me some advice?"

Back