When did GSP start his gymnastics training?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by repsakv, Jun 4, 2018.

1. repsakv

repsakv White Belt

Hi guys,

I'm writing an article about gymnastics training for fighters. (for my fightsports-blog that I write as an hobby, nothing serious :) )
    In this regards, I obviously cover GSP and his gymnastics training. But I would like to mention when he started training gymnastics, but I cant find it anywhere. Most information that I find states something vague like "a few years ago". Does somebody maybe has a more precise idea?

Greetings

2. Bodil

Bodil Orange Belt

He started doing ring work for the Shields fight, so around early 2011.

Reference: UFC 124 prime time episodes

Tone C, repsakv and Badger67 like this.
  3. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Probably not the only reason. But he got alot more stiff and slow in his movement in that time. Stronger but slower.

repsakv likes this.
  4. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

Well if he started gymnastics in 2011 he was already 30 then, so of course he'd be stronger but slower in his 30's as opposed to his 20's anyway. I believe it has more to do with age than because he started gymnastics, even though it might play a part too.