When did Anderson become this sloppy?

Father time hath spoken. But the thing is that Silva has always played close to the edge, relying on his reflexes to get out of the trouble that he puts himself in, in the first place. Now, it is obvious that those reflexes are no longer as sharp, his body does not respond as quickly as it used to, and his style (especially that quasi wing chun stuff) has basically become too hazardous. He needs to readapt his style or step away from the game.

Anderson's boxing - which used to be brilliant - has evaporated. He's throwing wild, sloppy shots. Unable to make things happen. Things are compounded by the decline of his chin which might make him less willing to risk being cracked, but let's be clear - his punching game was terrible. He did do some good things with his hands, but for the most part it was poor.

In hindsight, his hands have been in decline for a while. In the second Sonnen fight, his boxing was quite sloppy. The last time we saw peak Anderson with his hands was Okami at UFC 134, where he did some beautiful stuff.

Props to Bisping for making Anderson Swing and miss so often though

Man Bisping was sharp tonight. Really polished his striking even considering the knee and front kick he took

This. Still think he can beat some people lower down the pecking order though.

But he really shouldnt fight those guys tbh.. I posted this in another thread but.. possible matchups IF he will fight all these guys and isnt too good of friends with them or something

Shogun
Rashad
Rampage (if he comes back in time)
Machida (doubt they'd fight)
Mousasi (likely)
Tim Kennedy
Loser of Jacare/Vitor( (vitor rematch)
wouldnt mind a Hendo Rematch
Glover would be sweet
Heck... fricking Frank Mir lol (I can dream right?)

The only thing I thought strange was that he wasn't throwing the straight left at all.

I think it was the second Chael fight. That was the first time I seen him REALLY throwing that wild.

He's just getting older and slow. If he wants to be competitive he needs to change things up and be a little more orthodox. The days of him relying on reflexes are over.

Meh, Anderson made Bisping miss a bunch and thought he looked good. He's not as good as he was in his prime but ill always be a fan of his and ill watch him fight anyday, win or lose.

He's just getting older and slow. If he wants to be competitive he needs to change things up and be a little more orthodox. The days of him relying on reflexes are over.

Ha a little more orthodox you say.
Anderson Silva bangs his wife Unorthodox

He's always fought this way, the holes in his standup has gotten more evident when he started to slow down, just like RJJ. He still looked pretty good in some parts, but not even in the same ballpark as prime Anderson.

I think a fight between him and Rampage could be fun.

Apart from Vitor who's a mental midget, Anderson has never fought anyone with hand speed like Bisping. The matrix shit really only worked against guys that are slow and dumb.

he is nearly 41 .. the answer is in that.

Anderson's boxing - which used to be brilliant - has evaporated. He's throwing wild, sloppy shots. Unable to make things happen. Things are compounded by the decline of his chin which might make him less willing to risk being cracked, but let's be clear - his punching game was terrible. He did do some good things with his hands, but for the most part it was poor.

In hindsight, his hands have been in decline for a while. In the second Sonnen fight, his boxing was quite sloppy. The last time we saw peak Anderson with his hands was Okami at UFC 134, where he did some beautiful stuff.
No! ANDERSON'S hands were sloppy in that fight as well. His speed advantage carried him.

When did Silva become the one strike sloppy head hunter he is?
He used to string together combos like crazy. Now not so much

Maybe when he turned 40? Seriously, this is clearly not the same Anderson who was in the matrix 10 years ago at UFC 60 or whatever. He's old, and yet he's still whoopin' ass against guys younger than him.

He looks sloppy because his mind now moves faster than his body, just like any old athlete. He sees Bisping setting his feet and getting ready to punch, his mind says head movement and pivot and counter jab, but his body doesn't react like it used to, and he gets hit.

Father time is undefeated, and it's taking a huge toll on Anderson since his style relies so much on reactions and speed. There are countless athletes we can point to who went through the same thing.

Don't act like he just all of sudden forgot the fundamentals he's trained his whole life, that's stupid.

He's not been a nice man at all with so many of his opponents. Maia's too nice a guy to gloat but I'm sure he's watching.

It's nice to be a nice fighter a'la GSP. To be an Anderson fighter's not cool.

This isn't charm school.

Anderson fights to look like a winner. When gets a competent boxer like Diaz or Bisping there is a lot of doing nothing in fear of selling out his intimidating aura.

Back