When a fighter loses to another....

BluntForceTrama

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
What percentage breakdown do you think it's because the fighter has the others number or it being due to factors such as 'luck' , extenuating circumstances (ie health issues), etc

how unlikely is it for a fighter to come back and avenge a loss?

being due to factors such as 'luck'

I believe the term "luck" is over represented in fighting. The saying the more you train, the luckier you get definitely applies. Even with "lucky" shots as the scorpion elbow Yair hit KZ with or the no look counter Lawler knocked Manhoef out with required years of training and the poise to stay calm under fire.

Iv competed against people multiple times. Win or lose i never felt like I had their "number" The first fight is never going to be like the second one. They will train differently or diet differently change camps. You have to look at each fight as a brand new fight and prep for it that way. If some how I know a fighter is coming in with an injury or i know they had trouble cutting weight i will go to the body or press the action to exhaust them. As far as luck I dont believe in luck I just think fighters make mistakes and they are capitalized on by the other braddah.

Iv competed against people multiple times. Win or lose i never felt like I had their "number" The first fight is never going to be like the second one. They will train differently or diet differently change camps. You have to look at each fight as a brand new fight and prep for it that way. If some how I know a fighter is coming in with an injury or i know they had trouble cutting weight i will go to the body or press the action to exhaust them. As far as luck I dont believe in luck I just think fighters make mistakes and they are capitalized on by the other braddah.

Thanks for the insight!

Id like to add, that somedays some guys are “on” and somedays guys are “off”

Kinda like the expression “any given Sunday”

The funny thing about having a fight scheduled is that you need to keep the energy the whole time during training, and not lose any of it come fight time. There may be some days during camp where one thinks, good thing the fight isnt today, Im just not feeling a fist-fight today…you just need that to not be the day of the actual fight. Its a tricky emotional balance.

I believe the term "luck" is over represented in fighting. The saying the more you train, the luckier you get definitely applies. Even with "lucky" shots as the scorpion elbow Yair hit KZ with or the no look counter Lawler knocked Manhoef out with required years of training and the poise to stay calm under fire.
Yes but do you think Dustin avenges his loss to KZ or does KZ have Poiriers number?

Son ain’t no such thing as luck. It’s intentions and reactions. Some do it better some do it worse.

Yes but do you think Dustin avenges his loss to KZ or does KZ have Poiriers number?
I think Dustin is a better fighter now than KZ is now. So I think Dustin wins. I think Dustin is probably one of the most improved fighters on the roster.

I can’t say that some fighter has another fighter’s # if they only fought once. Couture dismantled Liddell, Hughes tapped Gsp easily….and there are quite a few situations like that in mma. 2-0/2-1 is a different talk.

fair enough but I'm in the stats game and you see these numbers play out with certain teams having statistical edges over opponents even when the team makeup has vastly changed

It proves it's a mental thing in a lot of cases I don't see why it changes much in a one on one situation

I think Dustin is a better fighter now than KZ is now. So I think Dustin wins. I think Dustin is probably one of the most improved fighters on the roster.

Yeah Dustin is like a completely different fighter since then.
Moving up to 155 was the best decision he ever made for his career to be honest.

fair enough but I'm in the stats game and you see these numbers play out with certain teams having statistical edges over opponents even when the team makeup has vastly changed

It proves it's a mental thing in a lot of cases I don't see why it changes much in a one on one situation
For sure competing in anything is mental. If you are not mentally into it you have no business doing something that could cause injury. I had a fight years ago and my wife was very ill and in the hospital. I was an absolute mess and was fighting a really good up and comer. I got my butt kicked all over the place I just was not in this fight at all. All I cared about is what was going on with my wife and her health. Thank god I have good people around me and they threw in the towel because I wasnt going to protect myself in any way.

Back