Wheezy breathing after HIIT

Radon

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've noticed after a taxing cardio workout like HIIT, or possibly attempting a record mile time that afterwards I'm left with what I'd call "lung burn". The soreness is generally gone within an hour but I get some residual effects.

The common theme when this occurs is my breathing is basically out of control, because my body wants more oxygen than it's getting, and the pace is sustained for 5-10 minutes.

Afterwards, I'll have a cough if I try any deep controlled breathing, accompanied by wheezing. Exhaling or inhaling deeply sounds similar to with a pretty major chest cold. Pretty gross wheezing sound. A strong lung clearing cough usually clears up the wheezing to some degree, and I don't produce anything gross. Just basic spit/phlegm.

The symptoms above only last for 12-24 hours, but I kinda wonder if it's a bad thing. I remember all the way back to middle school I'd experience similar symptoms after running the mile and trying hard, but since then I smoked for about 4 years, and I also had walking pneumonia a year ago.

My question is if this is a common experience among anyone who pushes themselves in cardio, or is it a very minor case of asthma or some other lung related disorder?

Where do you live? Is it still cold there?

I've only noticed any kind of lung burn when I was doing cardio outside when it's cold. But on the flip side I am so out of shape at this moment that any kind of cardio leaves me with the wheeze. But I smoked. I always thought that was why.

Sounds like bad air, or possibly exercise induced bronchospasm (caused by cold, dry, dirty or allergen filled air).

i get this after HIIT, but i been outta shape this winter cardio wise

Well this was in a gym at normal temperature and the air quality I would say was great.

The only thing is it's Colorado, so the air could be slightly dry. We haven't really gotten any rain yet, but I'm not sure on the exact numbers. Also I'm in Fort Collins, Colorado which as far as I know has good air quality. I've lived in Colorado since I was 8 so the dryness here could have always been the problem.

I plan on continuing my routine though, so maybe my lungs will get more accustomed to sucking serious wind.

I was actually doing a different HIIT routine before with 30 second rest, 2:30 recovery, and I didn't really have any problems as my breathing would have a chance to slow down a good deal in between intervals. I just switched to a 30/30 split.

Well this was in a gym at normal temperature and the air quality I would say was great.

The only thing is it's Colorado, so the air could be slightly dry. We haven't really gotten any rain yet, but I'm not sure on the exact numbers. Also I'm in Fort Collins, Colorado which as far as I know has good air quality. I've lived in Colorado since I was 8 so the dryness here could have always been the problem.

I bet that's it right there. I get the same thing when I run and it's below freezing(ie almost zero moisture in the air). I used to think it was because of the cold.

I live in Seattle, and I do a trade show in Arizona for a few weeks every year. I also noticed it happens to me there a little bit if I go hard during my morning run. I'm not a doctor, but I kind of connected the dots for myself.

Maybe heavy breathing under dry conditions causes your lungs to become dehydrated from the moisture lost when you exhale, and as your body tries to replenish the moisture throughout the day you accumulate a little excess fluid in your lungs.

Again not a doctor, but I think it is all related to the lack of moisture in the air.

It means you're doing it right.

I still get this all the time

*shrugs*

After a hard 3 miler the last few minutes are a fight to control myself so I don't panic because the oxygen coming in isn't the amount my body needs

My guess is that this is normal...especially if the area you live in has dry air or is above sea level.

The only way to combat this is to bring a spare oxygen tank with you...otherwise, I think you're OK.

Glad to hear it's a sign of hard work and that I'm not the only one.

I've decided no more cigarettes period. I was doing the weekend cigarette (or 3) while I'm out at the bars, but I think I've had enough for one lifetime.

I'm also setting a three beer limit on my drinking days (Friday + Saturday) :(.

It'll be worth the results.

could be a lot of things, if you're worried go to your doc. You might be mildly athsmatic. I get this too, but only in the summer months because of alergies. After cardio (usually outside) I wheeze and even laughing can send me hacking.

Glad to hear it's a sign of hard work and that I'm not the only one.

I've decided no more cigarettes period. I was doing the weekend cigarette (or 3) while I'm out at the bars, but I think I've had enough for one lifetime.

I'm also setting a three beer limit on my drinking days (Friday + Saturday) :(.

It'll be worth the results.

ah cigarettes! even one or two a week can have an effect. i remember when I quit smoking and it took months for my lungs to clear. I could literally feel them getting stronger and clearer as i ran on the treadmill.

Back