Movies What's your thoughts on Joaquin Phoenix Oscar speech?

What did you think of his speech?

• Total voters
Yeah first part was annoying. “What gives us the right to steal milk from baby cows??” Second part was good though and very applicable to our shitty post social media culture
He wasn't talking about stealing milk from baby cows, he was talking about stealing baby cows from their mothers.

Excellent comprehension skills.

The next time I'm at work I'm gonna climb up on a patient's bed and start ranting about how shitty we are as humans. See how that goes over.

It's pretty much customary for these actors to make these type of 'we gotta go something about ___', but not actually doing anything about it themselves. The masses will still massage their egos despite them doing just as much as the average person, only difference being is that they're famous people so somehow their words mean more. Talk is cheap guys

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Joaquin walks the walk on animal rights.

He's a flake.. But he's a good actor. What Deniro does is delusional AND mean spirited. Just delusional is better.

The speech was good but then again he's an actor and it's kind of what they're supposed to be good at so...meh.

He looks fantastic with the grey beard though. Has left the 'quirky and interesting' stage behind, and becoming very handsome and wholesome w onset of maturity. A beautiful man.

Oh my god Tony you sound like a girl! :eek:

I don't think a cow needs to go through this so I can have milk with my cereal. Pretty much that simple really.

The calves chill with the adult cows here. Honestly the cows here have it better than a lot of the people. Lazing around in a field all day never having to work or pay taxes. And having food and a place to sleep provided.

They literally have a better life than homeless people or natives here.

Also modern cows aren't a natually occuring species. They are an abomination that exists only due to selective breeding. They literally wouldn't exist if it wasn't for humans.

I don't think Joaquin thinks he's 100% correct or most animal activists for that matter. They're just aware of the horrors that happen within the industry and have chosen to speak out about it. Like you yourself mentioned about the caged chickens having their beaks cut off, that's not even scratching the surface of what actually goes on within the live stock industry.

It's all what about what matters to you as an invividual. We can't all see things the same.

Immigration reform would help ease the over population that has neccessitated factory farming. Build that wall and let ICE do their job, and impliment a blanket immigration ban.

That's step 1.

I feel like people take personal offense to someone speaking from their heart just because it doesnt line up with their beliefs. Not everything is an agenda,or a political attack against you. I loved the bit about his brother.

The irony in this thread is palpable with the poster exclaiming how they don't give a shit about what actors have to say and that they don't understand why they have a platform, yet at the same time they spend 90% of their time talking about movies and shows. Including the very movie this actor won an award for, in which they were championing that movie as important "anti-SJW" social commentary.

Immigration reform would help ease the over population that has neccessitated factory farming. Build that wall and let ICE do their job, and impliment a blanket immigration ban.

That's step 1.
Yes, a ban on immigration will end animal suffering! What are you even talking about dude, what a complete non-sequitur.

Last edited:
I thought it was epic and insightful. I don't think anyone has ever gave a speech as profound as that ever in the Oscars. It was fresh and inspiring.

Joaquin, though admirable, at one point was talking about the rape of cows cause of milk usage and what not while securely death gripping his golden statue. Ok sir, you are a vegan, that's great, grab your award thank your bro for inspiration, then go preach about your veganism to the press afterwards.

Brando in 73 takes the cake for biggest balls. Refuses to attend the Oscars cause of its treatment and portrayal of natives, then sends a native in his place to deliver a message and reject the Oscar. Doing that back in 73 was pretty much carrier suicide, but Brando gave Hollywood the double birds anyway. Now that was gangsta.

I thought it was epic and insightful. I don't think anyone has ever gave a speech as profound as that ever in the Oscars. It was fresh and inspiring.

The good ol boys on this site will hate it for obvious reasons.

Oh my god Tony you sound like a girl! :eek:
giphy.gif

Hes neglecting his animal instincts we all still have deep inside.
We are all part of the animal kindom, we all eat, use and benefit from lesser creatures the same way other animals do. Were just top of the food chain. It seems as if some humans have a weakness to the realities of life.

Imagine making a speech that doesn’t mention the fact that pedophillia is rampant in Hollywood.

Hes neglecting his animal instincts we all still have deep inside.
We are all part of the animal kindom, we all eat, use and benefit from lesser creatures the same way other animals do. Were just top of the food chain. It seems as if some humans have a weakness to the realities of life.
Yielding to our basest instincts would be fine if we were still paleolithic hunter-gatherers but technology has allowed us to amplify our influence in obscenely unnatural ways.
Biomass-humans-livestock-wild-animals-e1527774939549.png

Look at how we've transformed this planet into a factory to satisfy our appetites. Luckily, some of our chimp brains are smart enough to recognize this and offer solutions to mitigate the damage, if even a little. But if we continue at the current pace, the world will be nothing but zoos and farms.

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

And you can smell this toxic waste for miles. This is the price we pay for cheap bacon.

I never saw that before. Good speech. I agree. We do terrible things to animals. They feel pain. Their pain is real. They feel real anguish. And we need to rethink what our values are. I’m certainly guilty of eating the meat that comes from those animals. Every day.

Back