Movies What's your thoughts on Joaquin Phoenix Oscar speech?

What did you think of his speech?

• Total voters
I usually hate virtue signaling but I can understand the feeling of wanting to do something positive with millions of people watching you. I think he's just trying to raise awareness when a lot of people are ignorant to what they are doing it.

I was fine with it as long as he walks the walk. Virtue signaling and chastising people while acting like you should be immune from criticism (I'm looking t you, Leo) is when it gets cringe.

I thought it was fucking brilliant. It was insane.

I feel beforehand a cow was like "are you ready to do your duty, for Rome?"

"Yes, father."

i said very good, if you have a platform to reach a whole bunch of people and go viral thats a good thing to put out there, i prob liked that speech more than the joker

To put it in the simplest terms I'll use a quote from the RZA from when he was trying to explain his reasons for being Vegan on the Rogan podcast:

“to be honest with you bro, I just hit you with this right here, the reality of how I feel. No animal needs to die for me to live, ok?”

Well let's change that to, "No animal needs to die and be eaten by me so that I can live." Otherwise, we get into if humans are animals, and if police and military count. And then you could say, "But, they chose that profession", but then you one could argue that a very real need + luck & statistics did and intent had very little to do with it. Then there are countless products which require animal byproducts. Anything with glue: smartphones, TV's, computers, etc.

But, wait a second, regardless, we're left with the cold reality that whether you eat them or not, we're going to kill them and use their byproducts.

eSf04m7.jpg

So, what's your point again? Lol.

I suppose you could say you want to minimize the effect of the death of animals contributes to your life by not eating them. But, one wonders if going to live in the woods and give up basic forms of technology while eating deer would actually be on a higher moral perch. I'm betting it would.

So, were left with: No animal whose death is convenient for me to give up should die.

But, then we look at how much of the cow is used for meat vs their byproducts, but that gets reduced to, "Well, a dead cow is a dead cow."

Not trying to be a dick, just fleshing the issue out. Anyway, I think you probably just meant, "If I can make a small and convenient change to which products I use so that they might be treated better, eventually.. I will." Which is about where I am, and where most people are, probably. To send the point home, it appears milk and veal-based products like hotdogs are what contribute to the popularity of dairy cows, so subtracting that from your diet does 99% of the heavy lifting when it comes to the moral injustice involved in that industry.

Well let's change that to, "No animal needs to die and be eaten by me so that I can live." Otherwise, we get into if humans are animals, and if police and military count. And then you could say, "But, they chose that profession", but then you one could argue that a very real need + luck & statistics did and intent had very little to do with it. Then there are countless products which require animal byproducts. Anything with glue: smartphones, TV's, computers, etc.

But, wait a second, regardless, we're left with the cold reality that whether you eat them or not, we're going to kill them and use their byproducts.

eSf04m7.jpg

So, what's your point again? Lol.

I suppose you could say you want to minimize the effect of the death of animals contributes to your life by not eating them. But, one wonders if going to live in the woods and give up basic forms of technology while eating deer would actually be on a higher moral perch. I'm betting it would.

So, were left with: No animal whose death is convenient for me to give up should die.

But, then we look at how much of the cow is used for meat vs their byproducts, but that gets reduced to, "Well, a dead cow is a dead cow."

Not trying to be a dick, just fleshing the issue out. Anyway, I think you probably just meant, "If I can make a small and convenient change to which products I use so that they might be treated better, eventually.. I will." Which is about where I am, and where most people are, probably. To send the point home, it appears milk and veal-based products like hotdogs are what contribute to the popularity of dairy cows, so subtracting that from your diet does 99% of the heavy lifting when it comes to the moral injustice involved in that industry.

Cool graphic, thanks.

It's not possible to avoid animal products 100% of the time, but it's pretty easy to eliminate 90%. When that becomes your new baseline it's not that challenging to make it 95%, then 97%, then 99%. Don't use the difficulty of eliminating that final 1% as an excuse for doing nothing.

I thought it was epic and insightful. I don't think anyone has ever gave a speech as profound as that ever in the Oscars. It was fresh and inspiring.

Are you being serious?

- queer rights
- gender inequality
- racial inequality
- some other inequalities I think
- environment
- species inequality
- don't take milk from cows that's meant for their babies

Then some decent stuff about being a dick and hard to work with in the past and let's all work together and give second chances, etc.

Meanwhile trannys and queers and vegans are handing out awards to Korean directors. Joaquin was about 5 years too late with this speech. The second chances thing also struck me as odd. Does he think the Harvey Weinstein's and Kevin Spacey's of the world should get second chances? I wonder who he is referring too.

One of my favorite actors btw. But this was a cringey speech.

Yes when was the last time you seen a speech like that at the Oscars? In fact, it's never happened before in that scale.

The ex-girlfriend of the director he worked with on The Master did the same thing over 20 years ago...

And just because something hasn't been seen before, doesn't make it awesome. You got to prepare something bad ass if you are going to try and do this kind of thing and to me it felt like JP was rambling.

Would be interesting to see how many people dismissed what he had to say because of him being a celebrity but also voted for Trump, who is nothing more than a celebrity.

Ooh, got 'em!

giphy.gif

The ex-girlfriend of the director he worked with on The Master did the same thing over 20 years ago...

And just because something hasn't been seen before, doesn't make it awesome. You got to prepare something bad ass if you are going to try and do this kind of thing and to me it felt like JP was rambling.

No it wasn't rambling, he was coherent and he delivered his message eloquently. I guess everyone has their own interpretation of that speech. But I thought it was magnificent. The ending touch about his brother was just icing on the cake.

It's okay to latch onto that perspective because there may be room for change with how things are handled.

But, understanding that if we didn't eat them at all they might be considered wholly pests and we would be killing the young and old with impunity... is that better or worse?

Seriously, think of a pest like animal and how we just kill them with no thought to their family or anything. Then, apply that to this situation and it honestly doesn't seem so grim.

You could say, well we don't treat other animals we don't eat in nature (say bears) like pests. But, we kinda do. There's only 400k bears in the US, there are 94 million cattle. There are nearly as many dogs as well.

I think it's okay to be considerate of animals, and to the ones we eat. But, I feel a lack of empathy toward people who throw away their "human jersey" for animal rights because I honestly don't see how they can think their view is 100% correct.

I'm much more aware of cage free chicken eating than I am with not eating beef.
Chickens stuck in cages fed grain their entire life with their beaks cut off is fucking sadistic.

Predators will always be fewer in number than herbivores regardless of human intervention.

No it wasn't rambling, he was coherent and he delivered his message eloquently. I guess everyone has their own interpretation of that speech. But I thought it was magnificent. The ending touch about his brother was just icing on the cake.

Felt like virtue signaling from a rich white guy who is insulated from the real world to me. Talking shit about people who drink milk etc... was really dumb. The look on Antonio Banderas face said it all.
9Mdrwba.png

made it 40 seconds until being bored out of my mind and stopped.

NEXT

Predators will always be fewer in number than herbivores regardless of human intervention.

Good point. Still 30 million deer and half a million buffalo compared to 90 million cattle. You got me though, that was a bad comparison using bears. I hadn't thought about the prey/predator dynamic.

It's pretty much customary for these actors to make these type of 'we gotta go something about ___', but not actually doing anything about it themselves. The masses will still massage their egos despite them doing just as much as the average person, only difference being is that they're famous people so somehow their words mean more. Talk is cheap guys

It’s his time so he can say what he wants. However I see no reason to care about or respect his views.

Good point. Still 30 million deer and half a million buffalo compared to 90 million cattle. You got me though, that was a bad comparison using bears. I hadn't thought about the prey/predator dynamic.

I just thought to mention that, but your point probably still stands since the difference is number is so large even after adjusting for the predator/prey ratio.

Back