Movies What's your thoughts on Joaquin Phoenix Oscar speech?

What did you think of his speech?

• Total voters
I take political opinions from celebrities as seriously as I take medical advice from mail delivery driver.

The speech was good but then again he's an actor and it's kind of what they're supposed to be good at so...meh.

He looks fantastic with the grey beard though. Has left the 'quirky and interesting' stage behind, and becoming very handsome and wholesome w onset of maturity. A beautiful man.

- queer rights
- gender inequality
- racial inequality
- some other inequalities I think
- environment
- species inequality
- don't take milk from cows that's meant for their babies

Then some decent stuff about being a dick and hard to work with in the past and let's all work together and give second chances, etc.

Glad I skipped that.

I'll think about it over a glass of milk

Would be interesting to see how many people dismissed what he had to say because of him being a celebrity but also voted for Trump, who is nothing more than a celebrity.

I love the guy.

And what he said about the cows, people might hate on him for saying it, but it's a fact.

The messages seemed okay. Best part is how he said how hard he was to work with in the past.

He just overacted the whole thing a bit.

And, the animals thing is kinda right, but I mean there's so many of us and we all literally live off stuff that was at some point alive. It's like telling a bunch of vampires they don't treat the humans very nice before they suck their blood dry. He's right, but I mean... we still have to take their lives one way or another.

Actually, in a certain sense, his story about the mother cow can be seen as us providing an opportunity for the cow to live at all because if we didn't need her milk and meat, cows might be extinct by now.

There's a lot of arguments that can be made here, but he simplified it too much, then acted like it was super enlightened is my point.

The messages seemed okay. Best part is how he said how hard he was to work with in the past.

And, the animals thing is kinda right, but I mean there's so many of us and we all literally live off stuff that was at some point alive. It's like telling a bunch of vampires they don't treat the humans very nice before they suck their blood dry. He's right, but I mean... we still have to take their lives one way or another.

Actually, in a certain sense, his story about the mother cow can be seen as us providing an opportunity for the cow to live at all because if we didn't need her milk and meat, cows might be extinct by now.

There's a lot of arguments that can be made here, but he simplified it too much, then acted like it was super enlightened is my point.

He had to make the speech short as possible, considering their time limit is 45 seconds. But obviously he went over. But I think he got his message through perfectly considering the time restraints.

He had to make the speech short as possible, considering their time limit is 45 seconds. But obviously he went over. But I think he got his message through perfectly considering the time restraints.

Fair

It was epic. I’m not usually into people getting preachy in that context, but Joaquin comes off as a genuine article, so it worked. Straight from the heart, & I find it hard to disagree with anything he said.

Also, Joaquin Phoenix is the Diaz Brothers of the film world

While I agree It's impossible to totally avoid harming animals in one way or another, that doesn't mean we can't make conscious decisions in our daily lives that directly affect them.

I used to be a vegetarian, for many years. And it wasn't until I found out about what happens to dairy cows did I fully commit to being Vegan. To me I had to align my own ethics and morals with my actions. Since then I've never consumed dairy.

I'm Vegan but if I had to make a choice to consume animal products I'd much rather eat fish than touch dairy products knowing what happens within that process.

Cows do cry for their young taken from them (there's plenty of videos on yt) and the process is repeated until she can produce no more. Then she'll be slaughtered for her meat.

I'm lucky enough to have alternatives to choose from (oat, rice, almond, coconut milk etc) that means I don't have to contirbute to the cows suffering and not miss out on anything.

While I agree It's impossible to totally avoid harming animals in one way or another, that doesn't mean we can't make conscious decisions in our daily lives that directly affect them.

I used to be a vegetarian, for many years. And it wasn't until I found out about what happens to dairy cows did I fully commit to being Vegan. To me I had to align my own ethics and morals with my actions. Since then I've never consumed dairy.

I'm Vegan but if I had to make a choice to consume animal products I'd much rather eat fish than touch dairy products knowing what happens within that process.

Cows do cry for their young taken from them (there's plenty of videos on yt) and the process is repeated until she can produce no more. Then she'll be slaughtered for her meat.

I'm lucky enough to have alternatives to choose from (oat, rice, almond, coconut milk etc) that means I don't have to contirbute to the cows suffering and not miss out on anything.

It's okay to latch onto that perspective because there may be room for change with how things are handled.

But, understanding that if we didn't eat them at all they might be considered wholly pests and we would be killing the young and old with impunity... is that better or worse?

Seriously, think of a pest like animal and how we just kill them with no thought to their family or anything. Then, apply that to this situation and it honestly doesn't seem so grim.

You could say, well we don't treat other animals we don't eat in nature (say bears) like pests. But, we kinda do. There's only 400k bears in the US, there are 94 million cattle. There are nearly as many dogs as well.

I think it's okay to be considerate of animals, and to the ones we eat. But, I feel a lack of empathy toward people who throw away their "human jersey" for animal rights because I honestly don't see how they can think their view is 100% correct.

I'm much more aware of cage free chicken eating than I am with not eating beef.
Chickens stuck in cages fed grain their entire life with their beaks cut off is fucking sadistic.

I thought it was epic and insightful. I don't think anyone has ever gave a speech as profound as that ever in the Oscars. It was fresh and inspiring.

I love this guy.

It's okay to latch onto that perspective because there may be room for change with how things are handled.

But, understanding that if we didn't eat them at all they might be considered wholly pests and we would be killing the young and old with impunity... is that better or worse?

Seriously, think of a pest like animal and how we just kill them with no thought to their family or anything. Then, apply that to this situation and it honestly doesn't seem so grim.

You could say, well we don't treat other animals we don't eat in nature (say bears) like pests. But, we kinda do. There's only 400k bears in the US, there are 94 million cattle. There are nearly as many dogs as well.

I think it's okay to be considerate of animals, and to the ones we eat. But, I feel a lack of empathy toward people who throw away their "human jersey" for animal rights because I honestly don't see how they can think their view is 100% correct.

Chickens stuck in cages fed grain their entire life with their beaks cut off is fucking sadistic.

On the whole, I would say coyotes and foxes have much better lives than cows and chickens. One day their luck runs out and they get a bullet through the heart, but up until then, not too bad. Even setting aside the quality of life the whole way through, I'd rather go out like a coyote, fox or feral pig than the way most livestock does.

These celebs are all delusional. They make millions upon millions of dollars, have circle jerk award shows every other month to praise themselves. They get on stage and want to tell your Average Joe how he/she should live their lives.

You could say, well we don't treat bears like pests. But, we kinda do. There's only 400k bears in the US, there are 94 million cattle. There are nearly as many dogs as well.

I don't think Joaquin thinks he's 100% correct or most animal activists for that matter. They're just aware of the horrors that happen within the industry and have chosen to speak out about it. Like you yourself mentioned about the caged chickens having their beaks cut off, that's not even scratching the surface of what actually goes on within the live stock industry.

It's all what about what matters to you as an invividual. We can't all see things the same.

Back