Whats Your Game?

"If he taps, it's good jiu jitsu"

I disagree with this.

to me it's similar to "if it's edible it's good food"
or
"if it runs it's a good car".

I can see how you mean, but to me it's about the art's.

You could never tap anyone, but have beautiful jiujitsu.

Top or Guard? Top, but occasionally closed guard since the hip heist sweep is fun

Style? I think take downs are the coolest, but unfortunately most of the guys in my group pull guard and I don't get to practice nearly enough. I guess I think more like a wrestler or judoka.

Offensive game? Lots of pressure from side control and modified scarf hold

Defensive game? Get the F back to my feet.

Go to sub? RNC

What are you working into your game recently? heel hooks

Fav/Hate style to roll against? People that pull delariva and x, it's obnoxious lol. They should stand up and take me down like a man.

Guard: any closed guard technique that squelches the opponent like a pile of long-expired butter. If he manages to re-posture a single time, then I've failed

Top position: Mount! All day, every day.

Best submissions: triangle choke, d'arce, arm triangle, keylock. That's right, I roll keylocks. Also wacked-out shiz from youtube and from "rolling with my cousin Ernie in the garage", and let me tell you, said shiz really does work.

Love me kimuras and heelhooks. I'm a relatively little guy (165lbs) so I'll use the kimura as a control point to take the back most of the time. From there I'll work for an RNC.

I'm a guard player, mainly butterfly and collar/sleeve. I love transitioning to deep half and x-guard/ashi-garami when I can.

When passing I'll use bullfighter passes or knee slices. Sometimes I'll force half guard on someone and work from there. Definitely working on my passing lately, its pretty rudimentary. My school (Renzo's) is very submission oriented, so even though we do guard pass drills very often, sporty guards aren't seen quite as much because they tend to leave you vulnerable for leg attacks. Knee Shield is a good example of this. Only the bravest play it, because its extremely easy to get heelhooked from there if youre unaware. And against some guys, it simply doesn't matter. They're gonna tap you out if they gain control of your leg.

Standing - I love counter-wrestling. I was working diligently on it, but I'm limited due to knee issues. I turn my knee the wrong way at all and I can pop out my knee cap. It's something that I need eventual surgery for

My A game is: stepover/leg drag/knee slice pass to side control, then north south or mount for kimura/cross choke/armbar.

My B game is bottom foot on hips guard to triangle or sweep.

Yeah, I don't have many moves.

I prefer the top position if I can get it.

From the bottom I prefer closed guard if I can get it. My closed guard is based around keeping posture broken and working to trap the opponent either to sweep or set up subs. My closed guard is predominantly focused on hip bump sweeps, either as a sweep (unlikely) or to attack triangles or force them to come back down where I look to trap them up.

I play a seated guard looking to get to SLX for sweeps, and I play an ok old school DLR game but I prefer to play SLX or look for tripod sweeps. Half Guard I like to play knee shield variants, lockdown and Leite style half guards, I also really like Octopus half if I struggle with the underhook or the opponent threatens chokes.

As far as escapes go, I like to play sit up escapes and near or far side underhooks. I either look to recompose a sitting guard or butterfly, jailbreak to half or butterfly or underhook out to the front headlock or work towards a single.

On top I like Torreando's and knee cuts, lately I have been working smash passes (dope mount and leg drags) while trying to focus on getting the headquarters positon. Against inverters I look to get double unders and hopefully develop a low passing game with over under passing too.

Top half I love to attack darce's and arm triangles. I will even try pass with overhooks to get to the front headlock. I prefer side control the most, and will work arm triangles or take mount and look to arm triangle/armbar/triangle. I'm not a huge back taker, and if I get the back I prefer to trap an arm, or work towards the crucifix from side ride.

My stand up game doesn't involve much shots, I prefer to look for grips to work snap downs, ankle picks or crappy uchimata's or harai goshi's usually just to set up other stuff. I have some ok footsweeps and a decent Polish trip. Sometimes if I feel lazy, I just sit to seated guard.

My game revolves around traps, with darces and triangles. Currently working smash passing and would eventually like to develop a leg lock game to go with my SLX, a more offensive butterfly game, better back attacks and some low pressure passing.

I like to play top even though I'm not a wrestler nor is my Judo any good, when I'm on top I like to constantly attack with any submission I can threaten with.

My top game is probably a belt ahead of my bottom game, but if I'm in bottom guard...DLR, especially the x-DLR (or whatever it's called that JT Torres uses a lot). Lots of single leg x to full x to sweep.

Top: I have a passing sequence that I pretty much always do, but don't even know what the first pass in the sequence is called. Gui Mendes showed it at a seminar and it's like magic. Basically lapel and outside knee grips, knee slice below your opponent's knee. Kind of a knee slice/x pass combination. I've hit it on guys who otherwise tool me, which, I feel, is a good benchmark for evaluating how effective the move is. If that doesn't work, I leg drag to the opposite side. I've started using the smash pass (as Lovato shows it) a lot recently because my instructors kill with it.

novice here, but from guard i try to set up sweeps (mostly hipbumbs) with sub attemps (armbars triangles kimuras mostly) and vice versa.

from the top i can smother well as a wresler, know about three-five passes

all i do from mount is either a triangle or armbar but i enjoy side control more

from side control i love kimuras and keylocks, inverted triangles and north south chokes as well as sometimes the ezekiel chokes.

i do my best to slow it down and be technical which is why i love and learn more in the gi

sweep --> smash-pass --> pressure-top --> sub

Makes up a goodly portion of my rolls, unless things go bad haha. Rarely hit a sub from guard

good mix of games. what do you guys hate/refuse/cant play?

Whats your bread and butter?

Top or Guard?
Style?
Offensive game?
Defensive game?
Go to sub?
What are you working into your game recently?
Fav/Hate style to roll against?

Vaporizer your highest % sub? Is it practicing with low belts, or are you landing on higher ups too and it's due to your entry whether its textbook or a variant combined with the lack of knowledge of the subs existince in general? I'm interested because I know this move is suppose to be a for sure thing if set up properly, due to position(s).

I'm a NoGi guy, my only JJ lessons were NoGi, I've never done Gi.
I love playing both top and bottom, that's the game.

My style adapts to my opponents but the constants are the pace, and submission chaining. My style is referred to by others as Catch when not Submission-Wrestling or simply aggressive or thoughtful NoGi.

Offensively whether on top or on bottom, if the feeling out process is over or skipped, my sub attempts usually won't end until it's finished, whether that's achieved in one go or by a chain is up to the skill level of my opponent. I usually prefer to work from either guard, side control, mount, ride, or backmount. Bottom I like closed guard, butterfly, rubber, half, side control, closed mount, and ride.
My sweeps & submission sweeps keep my confident, and comfortable, as well as my subs themselves of course.

I'm good at maintaining position on top and bottom. I am also proficient with my sweeps, and if I can't hit a typical sweep I'll go for submission sweeps. Bottom I'll play with butterfly and rubber guard, in butterfly, if I don't sweep them, I'll carry them while deciding which way to make them fall to narrow down the choices of subs to attempt. In Rubber I'll work to take the back and if not that, I'll initiate a submission chain from either gogo, or omo. Top I maintain an nigh-unshakeable base, I'm very good at "projecting" weight, I've got good defense, plain and simple.

A typical RNC is my go to, due to the fact that I feel I can catch anybody with it and that anyone who's back is taken by me is hopeless if I start fishing for it.

I alwsys try to make every action and reaction quicker, I see many are used to a methodical pace and easily get outworked with a high pace if the skill is dangerous. So I try to make use of overwhelming speed with insurmountable will.

I hate to roll against people who refuse to tap, and get noticeably hot-headed. It makes me feel they're trying to seriously hurt me, and I get very insulted if I feel someone is trying to do that. I'm aware of the fault, so I don't take it to heart as much as when I was a kid, so I just try to finish them as quick as I can so they don't have the time to build up so much more anger &/or frustration.

I love to roll with the high belts, all of them; purple, brown, black and the masters above. I also love rolling with people who are lucky like me and have an affinity for grappling &/or MAs. It's not only for the challenge, it's so they can pass on their ideas and signature moves to me, and I can share mine with them. I love how everyone freaks out on my signatures too, they don't expect what I do from a nobelt, and they usually ask why I don't just move on to Gi, telling me that the strictest professor would still recognize that I'm at least well into purple belt level when it comes to efficiency, and that the knowledge I lack isn't due to bad habits and can easily be taught and retained.

Last edited:
pressure top from side control. mostly gi chokes and kimuras.
pass kneeslide or backstep or front flip if I feel frisky
Gaurd moslty half leite style with alot of single x and reverse DLR

But my Game is leglocks and loop chokes. I have alot of leg lock chains that really screw with people. I am our schools leg lock guy (except for one amazing brown belt but he is big and doesnt do them even though he is amazing at them) and we are pretty old school so I take some flac but I love that side of the game. I am blue close to my purple but my leglocks are defenetly a level above the rest of my game.(only thing I catch browns and blacks with)

recent fun combos
omoplata to kneebar
backstep to kneebar
mount escape to toe hold/kneebar
my favorite is backstep to reverse honey hole knee bar then chain toe hold to crossed double leg control to kneebar. Kinda hard to explain.
In no gi mostly leg knot from single leg x to heel hook or back take with kimura to RNC

Its weired we are Rickson lineage so leglocks are cool blue and up but there is def alot of older BB that think they are cheap shit. I love it. I hate that people will try and wait to the last min on toe holds till there is a pop. Heal hooks I just catch and release unless its brown belt and above bc people are stupid

Disclaimer: I suck and a lot of people on here could probably give me the business.

On the top I mainly look for the headquarters position. If I can't get it, my next move is to cry. From there, I try whatever works, but mainly knee fold and knee through passes (unless I'm mistaken). I'm also trying to get into over/under pressure passing as I weigh 250lbs. Don't really know how to finish those yet. All things in due time.

I like being in top half guard because I find it easy to use my weight for passing in that position, as typically the half guards I deal with leave me in contact with the opponent despite having one leg trapped. To pass, I usually try to open their legs with my arm or with the top of my foot against their thigh. Mostly depends on where his legs are placed on mine.

In mount, the only finish I really have are arm triangles. I'd like to add armbars and fist chokes to that, plus collar/lapel chokes in the gi (I prefer no gi however). My back control isn't very good-- a lot of guys escape it without too much trouble and I'm not sure why. That position definitely needs work. From there, I go for the RNC and armbar, but I rarely catch those.

My best position by far is side control where I give good pressure and can fend off sweeps/bumps pretty consistently. As far as submissions go I only really look for a DWL grip and try to finish a keylock, straight armbar or kimura (whatever I can get). I pretty much have no game if I can't get the DWL grip so I need more attacks from the side, maybe a kneebar or some type of choke.

My KOB/north south are both pretty bad and need work. Basically, I need more good positions to threaten from besides side control.

My guard game consists of locking closed guard, failing to catch guillotines/kimuras, attempting to stop a guard pass, sometimes managing to do so but otherwise completely failing to be offensive. I have a lot of trouble stopping them from posturing up/stiff arming. I pretty much just try to break them back down when that happens, but I have nothing once I do.

Once passed, I generally cry and wait until the round is over to try again. Usually I just get passed any time I go for an armbar or triangle.

Basically I need a lot of work across the board, but my guard in particular is REALLY REALLY BAD. I've considered devoting most of my focus for the next year into it. I just feel completely uncomfortable and ineffective on the bottom and I don't like it at all. I'd feel good if I could say that my guard game was at least equal to my top game, but it's not by any means. I realized this when I found myself legitimately struggling to stop kids within their first 2 months of training from passing my closed guard. I would absolutely smash them on top, but from the bottom it's like night and day. It really upsets me. I want to tap people from guard more than anything to be honest.

Last edited:
If it starts standing up, I grab the head to shoot for a double leg, or try to work a single from the clinch. If I'm lazy or know I'm going to get thrown on my head, I pull butterfly guard.

From butterfly: my favorite move is definitely to unbalance the dude and go for 1LX. I mostly go for a pass after that. I'll go for a straight ankle lock if I'm pressed for time.

Other favorite I've worked a lot on (and still need to work a ton on): bottom half-guard. I love to underhook and sweep with a double leg. If he stands up, I go for KOTD or X-guard. If he stays on his knees... well it's a work in progress.

On top:
I mostly pass half-guard standing up, and aim for side mount. From side mount I go to mount, attack an Americana to bait them into giving me a gift wrap, and use it to get to the half-back.

Top sub: RNC from half-back. In the gi I go for a wing choke or a bow and arrow.
Notable subs:
- Straight ankle locks.
- No gi baseball bat choke from KOB.
- North-South Kimura from side mount.
- Leg triangle from closed guard (mostly on noobs).
- Arm triangle from mount

Stuff I can't play:
- DLR. I don't get it. At all. I feel like I'm just trying to get my knee exploded by shoving it between his legs.
- DHG. I don't see it. I'll have to incorporate it at some point because it fits well in my game, but right now, nada.

Subs I can't get:
- Guillotines. I think I tapped someone once with it, in my third class ever. It was the dude's first class.
- Omoplatas. My last resort, and when I'm lucky I end up in side mount.
- Darces/Anaconda chokes. I honestly think it's mostly because I feel bad aiming for people's necks (see: guillotine above). Seems too brutal for some reason.

Stuff I'll work on during the next year: bottom half-guard (best guard EVA) and the truck. I have the perfect physique for stuff like that.

Last edited:
Back