White Belt
Reaction score
Whats your bread and butter?

Top or Guard?
Style?
Offensive game?
Defensive game?
Go to sub?
What are you working into your game recently?
Fav/Hate style to roll against?

I'll start it off..

I Play a lot of guard, high pressure, constant squeeze methodical style. mostly old school sprinkled with some 10pjj on top.

No better feeling than trucking people, back takes.

i play a lot of rubber guard, half guard, rarely any open variant.
vaporizer, bow and arrow are probably my highest percentage to hit in my game

Playing around with a little berimbolo.. just because i refused to for so long. some cool stuff but not my thing though..

hate playing vs old school high pressure smash and pass guys...
love playing against old school high pressure, forward, forward,forward smash and pass guys. What better way to improve my guard?!

Interested to hear what everyone is playing around the sherdog world?!

I play a sweep to dominate position style.

I play mostly butterfly and s-leg x.

My pass style Is standing, forcing half then working the Marcelo sequence.

I finish arm bars from side the most. I get son chokes occasionally ( north south , guillotine)

I dont like rolling with light weight styles, legs inverting gets me annoyed but because I rarely face that style ( train at a mma gym) I have to focus more to find openings.

Here's 5 minutes of me doing nothing but kimuraing people and using the double wrist entanglement in competition...

[YT]5kErj3wyx2A[/YT]

I guess I'd say KIMURA.

im getting pretty good at x guard sweeps and over under passes, so thats the majority of my game right now. my goal is to combine bernardo's passing with marcelo's everything else

Throw, counterthrow vs a takedown, arm drag to single/bodylock sequence, or directly enter to a submission from standing.

If on top - Over/under pressure passing. Leg drag passing. Ankle lock / heel hooks in combination with leg drags. Knee slice. Top Rock.

Once passed guard - kimuras, armbars, arm triangles, bow and arrow chokes in gi, RNCs in no gi. Cross ankle locks and both kinds of heel hooks to discourage guard recovery, tied in with the leg drag position and arm triangles / back chokes.

If on bottom: 1LX sweeps, leglocks, 1/2 butterfly sweeps, X guard sweeps, butterfly sweeps, snapdowns and spin arounds when sweeps are stuffed. Turtle rather than give up pass, and kimuras/rolls/leglocks/deep half from turtle.

In transition - Marcelotine, wresting-style controls and turnovers, kimuras, leglocks, judo-esque armbars.

My game is relatively diffuse, now that I look at it.

Mounted titty smother

The worst. Before I got better at scrambling I rolled with guys who outweigh me by like 80lbs and they do this and their rash guard smells like shit. I'll tap out due to not being able to take the BO and they get off thinking they're some BJJ wizard. That used to piss me off so bad lol

Takedown: Ankle Pick (I'll just pull guard most of the time)

Guard: Dariush guard (Sleeve 'n Collar) then i'll kick the leg to get spider (lapel spider) or play the MENDES LA RIVA, depends on the opponent.

Pass: Headquartes position and knee slide non stop.

Side Control: Place KOB, trap near arm with KOB leg and cross/baseball choke or kimura.

Constantly working on everything, but now adding some Leite half guard to the mix

im supposed to have a game?? sheeet, i missed the memo

Against knees in gi: closed guard. Arm drag to the side, sweep, or take the back. Against closed no-gi: butterfly. Against standing with or without the gi: X guard variations. Once on top, my passing is largely knee slice and torreando based, though I also practice long step, hip smash, and leg drag. Once on top I go for kimura control from side, cross collar chokes from knee on belly, and cross collar chokes and armbars from mount. From the back I almost exclusively bow and arrow choke or RNC. I like ankle picks and foot sweeps, as well as tomoe nage and low single standing. That's pretty much my game. I can play some deep half when necessary and am proficient in old school DLR, but it's not my first choice.

I would describe my game as path of least resistance and element of surprise.

I don't play guard to sub. I play guard to sweep. Not that I don't get subs from bottom. But usually, I use them to get on top. I prefer top game and that's why I have good sweeps.

My sweeps game is human jenga. I keep attacking until I find the weakest plane and then take you that way.

Top game is actually very finesse. Most of my training partners have been smaller than me so I always felt guilty smashing. So I just finesse things.

I love fancy crap like rolling back takes and baratoplatas. Huge fan of leg rides and the truck.

Big fan of playing bottom side as if it were a guard and I find subs and sweeps there often.

Edit: I love Russian 2 on 1 from closed guard. It's stupid simple. You either get an armdrag, baratoplata, bicep slicer, posture break and some other fun sweeps.

Last edited:
Mostly defensive standing, I'll look to sprawl if they shoot. I don't really initiate the clinch but if they chose to clinch I'll look for hip toss or trip.
If they are tentative as well I'll try grab and single leg/ high crotch.

On the ground I prefer the top and will look to stand in guard and usually will try to pass with double under(?) and get to side control. Mostly pressure in side control I don't usually work Kimuras/ Americanas as I'm usually the weaker of the grapplers. I hope they scramble and I'll look for a d'arce.

If I find myself on the bottom I'm more offensive, I use closed guard and mostly attack with triangles and arm-triangles to back takes or scramble back to my feet.

All rounder

Standing: clinch takedowns; counter shots with kimuras and 100% sweep

Guard: sweepy butterfly

Top: a lot of different ones but I like the double unders as a "home base" position

Big throws/takedowns followed by a lot of top pressure.

Aggressive standing. Always working the snap down, and trying to transition either to a sprawl or a double. If clinched I'm looking for an inside trip.

On top I prefer low passes like the over under and double under, or standard crossface smashing. If the guy is really good at preventing these passes I'll stand and work a torreado, knee cut, or Lovatos smash pass.

On bottom I'm always looking to sweep or stand. Lots of deep half and SLX, some lockdown and RDLR. In closed guard I work an armbar or hip bump sweep -> kimura -> guilotine -> triange. If it doesn't work I open my guard because that's all I've really got. I prefer to turtle than play bottom side control.

And leg locks are my A game, but I try not to use them unless someone else attacks it.

I am a human backpack. I make my opponents carry my weight and am always attacking their base and posture. I use my Judo "in reverse" to avoid being taken down and just wear on my opponents with overhooks and initiating the clench whenever possible.

From any dominant position, I employ a catch wrestling style of pressure. I'd rather make someone tap from claustrophobia and just plain giving up than any choke or joint lock.

If we're around the same skill level and you're not in better shape than me, my goal is to break you from fatigue. If you are better than me, then I push the pace and try to force errors. Doesn't always work but at least I try.

I am a human backpack. I make my opponents carry my weight and am always attacking their base and posture. I use my Judo "in reverse" to avoid being taken down and just wear on my opponents with overhooks and initiating the clench whenever possible.

From any dominant position, I employ a catch wrestling style of pressure. I'd rather make someone tap from claustrophobia and just plain giving up than any choke or joint lock.

If we're around the same skill level and you're not in better shape than me, my goal is to break you from fatigue. If you are better than me, then I push the pace and try to force errors. Doesn't always work but at least I try.

I bet you're fun at parties.

The worst. Before I got better at scrambling I rolled with guys who outweigh me by like 80lbs and they do this and their rash guard smells like shit. I'll tap out due to not being able to take the BO and they get off thinking they're some BJJ wizard. That used to piss me off so bad lol

"If he taps, it's good jiu jitsu"

Back