What's Your Favorite Michael Bay Film?

the rock by a good margin

the island was also solid and i enjoyed his remakes of the chainsaw movies with jessica biel and his remake of friday the 13th.

rest of his movies sucked that i saw.

I agree with most of this, but The Island was plagiarised from a Michael Marshall Smith book and the blatant theft of a concept really pissed me off.

The Rock was good, everything else....blech. Pearl Harbour, TS? Really?

Bad Boys

[YT]p9jS4gppIFs[/YT]

Not one scene Michael Bay has directed has come close to even the worst scene of Team America. That movie was pure gold.

[YT]32iCWzpDpKs[/YT]
Some of the truest advice I've heard about society in a movie and hilarious while doing it.

... and then more building....
LOL I suppose there is a certain liberation in realizing you're smack dab in the middle of hell. Like, hell's power is in not-knowing you're in hell, and you're victim to that dread unknown wondering what's going to happen next. But, if you already realized that EVERYTHING is the VERY WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN, there's a modicum of relief there.

OMG HOW BAD COULD IT BE?

Don't worry: it'll be the WORST THING.

Oh, okay.

That's that TRANSFORMERS is: serenity in the certitude that the very worst things are about to happen to your eyeballs and childhood. Then? Optimus flying through space on a fucking dinosaur or some kinda goddamn thing.

LOL I suppose there is a certain liberation in realizing you're smack dab in the middle of hell. Like, hell's power is in not-knowing you're in hell, and you're victim to that dread unknown wondering what's going to happen next. But, if you already realized that EVERYTHING is the VERY WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN, there's a modicum of relief there.

OMG HOW BAD COULD IT BE?

Don't worry: it'll be the WORST THING.

Oh, okay.

That's that TRANSFORMERS is: serenity in the certitude that the very worst things are about to happen to your eyeballs and childhood. Then? Optimus flying through space on a fucking dinosaur or some kinda goddamn thing.

I only saw like five minutes of the third one and busted out laughing like thank God I didn't get suckered into a third theater visit with that one. It seriously feels like they watched a kid playing with Transformers action figures and made that the script for each battle scene cause it just never fucking ends, a thousand things are going on at once with explosions and fights, and it's just nonstop build up.

Do you think there's a Debris Guy? Like all he does is CGI-render debris flying into frame? The poor bastard.

"I create art. It looks like mindless frenetic shit on purpose. Yeah, six years art school. I was summa cum laude now I'm just Money Shot Mark"

I gotta agree with Pain and Gain, the opening scene/song combo was legit. Just one of those random movies that I enjoy.

Armageddon is so bad. It hurts just to think about it. My GF likes that movie.

The Rock is the only answer to this question anyway. I liked Pain and Gain just because i like to lift weights. But its not that good movie. Just entertaining.

Man, Armageddon's fucking dire. Aerosmith deserve a slap for that fucking song too. They made Diane fucking Warren an absolute fortune. I can't stand Diane Warren.

haha this post kind of illustrates what I'm saying. It's just become trendy to hate on Michael Bay. Like he's the Nickelback of directors. But who doesn't watch The Rock, Armageddon, or the Bad Boys movies when we are flipping through channels and see them on? I know I do.

And I'm telling you guys, go back and watch Pearl Harbor again. It's playing on the Starz channels all month long. That movie is pretty damn epic. It's not without flaws, but it's far from being bad.

i honestly dont. not trying to be trendy or a hipster. i wont lie about it though back before i gave a shit about who directed, wrote, or produced shit i found myself watching all these movies by bay. i really cant sit through the rock, gone in 60 seconds, armageddon, or bad boys these days. they are legit terrible movies. the guy is uwe boll with a $100 million dollar budget

The Rock by a grand canyon sized margin. Bay actually resembled a filmmaker with that movie.

I do like Bad Boys 2 though. It's so absurdly over the top, and mean spirited that it makes me laugh.

Bad Boys or the Island.

The Rock is obviously better than both of them, but whatever.

haha this post kind of illustrates what I'm saying. It's just become trendy to hate on Michael Bay. Like he's the Nickelback of directors. But who doesn't watch The Rock, Armageddon, or the Bad Boys movies when we are flipping through channels and see them on? I know I do.

And I'm telling you guys, go back and watch Pearl Harbor again. It's playing on the Starz channels all month long. That movie is pretty damn epic. It's not without flaws, but it's far from being bad.

Pearl Harbor was on a month ago and I didn't change the channels for quite some time, since I just saw the video essay on Bay's filmmaking. It was exactly as bad as I remembered. Fuck whether it's hip or not. Saying it's shit is about as objective an opinion as you can have on as subjective a topic as film. Attacking people's motivation isn't a good argument in your favour.

This is the critics consensus on RT, where it gets a whopping 25% certified, and an average rating of 4.5/10:
Rotten Tomatoes said:
Critics Consensus: Pearl Harbor tries to be the Titanic of war movies, but it's just a tedious romance filled with laughably bad dialogue. The 40 minute action sequence is spectacular though.

Check out his entire filmography on RT: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/michael_bay/

He has two movies he has been affiliated with in any way that he has managed to get past the "60% certified" mark. The Rock's mediochre 66% rating, and Mystery Men with 60%, where his sole involvement was as an actor, playing the role of "Frat Boy". Seems like good casting there.

Hell, you know what? I'd like to revise my answer. Mystery Men is my favourite Michael Bay movie.

i honestly dont. not trying to be trendy or a hipster. i wont lie about it though back before i gave a shit about who directed, wrote, or produced shit i found myself watching all these movies by bay. i really cant sit through the rock, gone in 60 seconds, armageddon, or bad boys these days. they are legit terrible movies. the guy is uwe boll with a $100 million dollar budget

Btw I wasn't trying to single YOU out or call YOU a hipster. Just saying it's become popular to hate on the guy in general, while simultaneously admitting he does some good things. Didn't mean for that to sound like a personal attack on you, bro.

Attacking people's motivation isn't a good argument in your favour.

Wasn't attacking the guy. Read post above. It probably sounded that way but that's not how I meant it.

Pearl Habor is a guilty pleasure of mine. The action sequences are great and I can't help but love the over the top MERICA! symbolism and ass kissing of the greatest generation. I think if the two leads were more competent actors then it wouldn't have such a horrible reputation. Affleck and Hartnett destroyed that movie, better actors could have made the characters and dialogue less cheesy.

Not the best, but Pain and Gain is criminally underrated.

Not the best, but Pain and Gain is criminally underrated.

Not really. It's Micheal Bay's sad attempt at serious filmmaking. He took a true story of kidnapping and murder, and turned into an episode of Entourage.

It's mildly entertaining, but for what he was going for(a serious dark comedy), it fails on nearly every level. Nobody will be mistaking Micheal Bay for the Coen Bros anytime soon.

He's at least Wachowski tier or better tho that ain't saying much

I thought Pain and Gain was really, really terrible. I'm surprised by the responses here.

He's at least Wachowski tier or better tho that ain't saying much

As many failures as they've had, I'd still put the Wachowski's ahead of Bay. There is still a certain amount of effort on their part, and nobody can take The Matrix away from them. Bay is a middle-aged frat boy appealing to the lowest common denominator with every film he makes, and he's just getting worse and worse with his material.

Bay is on Roland Emmerich's level, only more juvenile. He is to filmmaking what Adam Sandler is to comedy.

Back