What's your excuse for not fighting?

Come into the riiiiiing! Come into the ring of death! And stop rolling your eyes at me! Just give me like a week to get myself that fancy flag with sponsors. These take a while to do.

this thread is lame. this is the grappling forum, but besides that many of us do fight. this thread is for the wasteland.

Last edited:
I have, but MMA is not really fighting either it is just MMA.

I have, but MMA is not really fighting either it is just MMA.

agreed. MMA is not a martial art by itself either. MMA is a rule set for people who compete in different martial arts. Hence the term.

lol @ all the pussies claiming brain damage...

Um...I haven't seen really any posturing in that thread. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to it.

I don't fight because my wife would not let me. Additionally, I'm a lawyer/professor and must not look all beat up, which would really stop me from even being able to spar in training with any regularity.

Are you claiming that getting punched in the head is condusive to good health? Some activities have to many negative side effects for different people. I don't want to be a crab fisherman in Alaska and some people don't think getting injured in MMA is a good idea. The difference in number of injuries in BJJ vs MMA is huge.

my wife's ex-boyfriend stopped talking shit after the last time i put him in the hospital to get his mouth stitched up.

You're retarded.

I train MMA to be a good training partner for my teammates (who include a UFC fighter.) I don't fight because it is important to be a good and consistent provider for my family.

If I get my face smashed in or concussed repeatedly I cannot perform my job.

I dont have an excuse for not fighting yet.

My instructor said he would tell me when im ready to fight, and i trust him. I guess if listening to your instructor makes you a bitch, im a bitch then. *shurgs*

Why do the other guys who don't fight need an excuse? It's not for everyone man, why is that hard to understand? It's like asking "What's your excuse for not playing football?" Pointless, vague question.

I know there have been times in the gym I've been doing hurricanes or something and I've thought, "Why the fuck am I doing this to myself, fuck it", I'm sure we've all had those moments, it's not for everyone.

I think the simple answer is many lack the courage. If you are training as a hobby and to stay in shape that is fine.

If your talking down to other people for not competing in grappling for the same reason you won't step up and compete in mma maybe you should shut the fuck up and mind your own business.

1. None of the shows around here are sanctioned
2. None of the shows around here carry any sort of insurance
3. I'm too pretty to block punches with my face
4. MMA is completely antithetical to everything the man I learn from stands for, and it'd be an affront for someone at my rank and seniority to shit on everything he's spent his entire life building
5. I don't have anything to prove, I already know I'm a bad ass
6. I don't wear Affliction or Tapout
7. I only have 2 tattoos, and neither of them are tribal, or on my chest/arms
8. I stopped listening to rap metal in middle school
9. I already know I'm packin' (your mom told me so)
10. MMA doesn't pay anywhere near what I'd get as an M.D., and concussions aren't conducive to med school

Ya, you honestly sound like the biggest pussy in this entire thread.

They actually do have professional knife fighting competitions for practitioners of the Filipino Martial Arts. Obviously not using real knives, but it is reffed, and it's full speed and resistance designed to simulate a real knife fight. One of my instructors has competed in it, and I tried sparring with him once with a rubber knife. I couldn't touch him once, but damned if he didn't carve me up like a roast.

that's fucking legit

Why do the other guys who don't fight need an excuse? It's not for everyone man, why is that hard to understand? It's like asking "What's your excuse for not playing football?" Pointless, vague question.

I know there have been times in the gym I've been doing hurricanes or something and I've thought, "Why the fuck am I doing this to myself, fuck it", I'm sure we've all had those moments, it's not for everyone.

They don't need an "excuse" & that's my point entirely.
In the "Why don't you compete" thread there are numerous posers telling people who don't compete in grappling tournaments that they are
"pussy"
"get a set of balls"
"man up"
etc.

So by following their "logic" the obvious extrapolation is why don't they fight.
Funny how all of those guys haven't bothered to appear in this thread.

i train BJJ, so I compete in BJJ, makes sense no? If i trained "fighting" then i would "fight"

Back