Social What's The Purpose of Vehicle Registration?

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Got pulled over today and it turns out I never renewed my plates last year. One of those things where you set the notice down and deal with it at a later day and eventually forget it. I've had expired plates for 9 months without issue but today my luck ran out. So I ask, what's the purpose of this arbitrary expensive sticker? This one interaction has made me believe we live in a fascist police state.

Got pulled over today and it turns out I never renewed my plates last year. One of those things where you set the notice down and deal with it at a later day and eventually forget it. I've had expired plates for 9 months without issue but today my luck ran out. So I ask, what's the purpose of this arbitrary expensive sticker? This one interaction has made me believe we live in a fascist police state.
A government tax but also to be able to tie the owner of a vehicle to a driver so the cops know who to go after if you break the law.

I'd be careful, as at least where I live, if you aren't registered, your insurance policy is null and void. You cause an accident, you're fucked.

Insurance is the bigger scam, enabled by the government. Imagine paying into something endlessly, and they get to keep your money no matter what, even if nothing happens.

I understand that people should have some money available in a designated stash just in case they fuck up someone else's ride, and everyone should have to have one up to a certain amount. But this paying in to third parties with no cap is pure robbery, plain and simple, and nobody does anything about it.

It's no different than some mafia guy coming to you and extorting you for protection payments, but it's government forced. Added to that, the scumbags do everything not to pay out, then raise your rates when ever they do.

Remind me again why there exists people that trust the government? Fuckin idiots making corporate slaves of us all.

The purpose of renewing your plates is to ensure that your vehicle meets certain safety and regulatory standards, and to contribute to road maintenance and infrastructure funding. While it may seem arbitrary or inconvenient at times, it's ultimately about maintaining order and safety on the roads for everyone's benefit.

A government tax but also to be able to tie the owner of a vehicle to a driver so the cops know who to go after if you break the law.

I'd be careful, as at least where I live, if you aren't registered, your insurance policy is null and void. You cause an accident, you're fucked.
I paid the registration as he was writing the ticket, it's my first time in 18 years of driving that I forgot. I must be getting old.

Insurance is the bigger scam, enabled by the government. Imagine paying into something endlessly, and they get to keep your money no matter what, even if nothing happens.

I understand that people should have some money available in a designated stash just in case they fuck up someone else's ride, and everyone should have to have one up to a certain amount. But this paying in to third parties with no cap is pure robbery, plain and simple, and nobody does anything about it.

It's no different than some mafia guy coming to you and extorting you for protection payments, but it's government forced. Added to that, the scumbags do everything not to pay out, then raise your rates when ever they do.

Remind me again why there exists people that trust the government? Fuckin idiots making corporate slaves of us all.
...Insurance companies charge you because they are taking the risk of having to pay out large amounts of money if you fuck up or someone steals your car etc.

What happens to others if you smash into a $500k Lambo and have zero ability to ever repay it? What if you cause a 10 car pileup and people end up with lifelong injuries? Are you going to pay all that?

If they didn't charge people, they would quickly lose a fortune and go out of business. They are not charities.

How is this news to you?

...Insurance companies charge you because they are taking the risk of having to pay out large amounts of money if you fuck up or someone steals your car etc.

What happens to others if you smash into a $500k Lambo and have zero ability to ever repay it? What if you cause a 10 car pileup and people end up with lifelong injuries? Are you going to pay all that?

If they didn't charge people, they would quickly lose a fortune and go out of business. They are not charities.

How is this news to you?

Sounds like you work for an insurance company.

The incidents you're talking about almost never happen, statistically. You're basically taking the worst case scenarios you can possibly think of, and using that to justify stripping people of money that they worked hard for, that they'll never recoup a dime of, while the companies pocket it all.

There has to be a better middle ground for the average Joe, than the system as it is now. Insurance companies are getting filthy rich and it's most often just functioning like a government sanctioned fleece game.

Insurance problem i have why do they raise it for speeding tickets.ok accidents ok but any other ticket should not raise it

This thread sounds like War Room Material.

I recently saw on the TV, some cars by default have you sign up for some GPS shit where the car companies collect stuff like when you speed, abruptly stop, and turn that info over to data collection companies who then sell it to the insurance companies and they use it to hike your insurance premiums cost. I think LexisNexis was one of the data companies.

The incidents you're talking about almost never happen, statistically. You're basically taking the worst case scenarios you can possibly think of, and using that to justify stripping people of money that they worked hard for, that they'll never recoup a dime of, while the companies pocket it all.

There has to be a better middle ground for the average Joe, than the system as it is now. Insurance companies are getting filthy rich and it's most often just functioning like a government sanctioned fleece game.
the issue is that insurance covers a lot more than disasters, that it becomes a mechanism for convenience, and the problem is that you cant unbundle. illusion of choice.

44,000 people were killed in traffic accidents in the US last year. That's just the deaths, there were thousands upon thousands of life altering injuries, not to mention literally hundreds of billion dollars per year in damages caused. I get your frustration but I don't think you're looking at this in a very balanced way.

44,000 people were killed in traffic accidents in the US last year. That's just the deaths, there were thousands upon thousands of life altering injuries, not to mention literally hundreds of billion dollars per year in damages caused. I get your frustration but I don't think you're looking at this in a very balanced way.
he's not completely wrong, at some point, we're overinsured.

car insurance should NOT pay medical bills, we're already mandated to pay for health insurance, so the fact that we cant escape from that portion of insurance, there is essentially double insurance.

there is more...

Back