What's the point of weighing in 30+ hours BEFORE the fights take place?

FrankDux

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is it strictly to allow for contingency planning? Missed weights/back-up fighters etc.?

Rehydration.
Is this your first weigh in?

No. I always just assumed it was to allow for contingency planning.

If someone is worried about negative dehydration effects...isn't that a clear sign that they should be fighting in a higher weight class? Would love to see them move official weigh ins closer to the fight time. I think this would force fighters to fight at their natural weight.

If someone is worried about negative dehydration effects...isn't that a clear sign that they should be fighting in a higher weight class? Would love to see them move official weigh ins closer to the fight time. I think this would force fighters to fight at their natural weight.

The official weigh ins use to be closer to the fight. They were moved to the earlier slot for good reason and should stay there. Healthier fighters equal better fights. The ship on fighters competing closer to their natural weights has long since sailed.

Because it would be a messy situation since fighters rarely weight exactly to the division. 1 day is fine for adjusting.

Longer rehydration process. Sometimes your body needs that extra amount of time to re store bio available nutrients, ions and such. Then the time for your physiology to regulate that normal amount again.

When you compete in your first few fights you often are first fight of the night, and sometimes the main event weighs in first in regional promotions. If delays happen the early fighters often have less then 24 hrs to rehydrate. Might as well take the longer approach and allow for adequate time to replenish. Some fighters are even to nervous to intake fluid or food at regular intervals so give them some more time as well.

Is it strictly to allow for contingency planning? Missed weights/back-up fighters etc.?
Most likely for all the reasons above and to give the fighters enough time to recover/hydrate/rest before fighting. But if people's issues are the extreme weight cuts, changing weigh-in protocols would be one of the first things they change.

I'd say the commission has more to do with it than the UFC wouldn't it? Since they over see and sanction and are inc harge of ensuring the fighter weigh in properly and at weight etc

So certain fighters can weigh two classes above by fight time... Drew Dober has been reported as weighing as much as middleweight by fight time...

The "force" part would take a while to settle and well, they ALL will fight with some level of dehydration.

How so? Like 8.fighters don't cut so everyone would still just be fighting the same people
I guess cutting weight comes from a time where not everyone was cutting the same amounts, now most cut the same, its becoming sort of pointless, but they are not going to stop anytime soon unless AC's force them to, only California is actually doing something afaik.

The only thing that would do would be increase damage to fighters as they would be taking damage while dehydrated.

That’s why they moved the weigh ins to the morning in the first place, to give the athletes time to rehydrate.

Also they should reinstate IVs.

All this “we need to do something” bullshit ever accomplished is taking something that isn’t perfect and replacing it with something worse.

Unless they go to full on OneFC overhaul things are about as good as they are going to get, except as I said, IVs should come back.

Back