What's the point of weighing in 30+ hours BEFORE the fights take place?

No. I always just assumed it was to allow for contingency planning.

If someone is worried about negative dehydration effects...isn't that a clear sign that they should be fighting in a higher weight class? Would love to see them move official weigh ins closer to the fight time. I think this would force fighters to fight at their natural weight.
Moving the weigh ins closer will get guys killed fighting right after a weight cut. Should they change weight classes maybe do we have to kill a few people to make the point?

I understand the idea behind "giving them time to rehydrate"...but if they moved it closer...say 2 hours before the fight. Then fighters would essentially not have to cut weight at all and they would just fight at the normal weight they should be fighting at, right?? Rehydrating wouldn't be an issue because they never drained themselves by cutting weight. Right?
You think guys wont cut weight if you move the weigh in have you ever even wrestled gtfo

Wait, is that true? I've been following boxing and MMA since like 2002 and I believe boxing has been doing 24-30 hour weigh-in's since at least when I started, and I believe for decades. Boxing deaths are due to brain hemorrhaging and refs not stopping fights, same as in MMA.

Except of course, in MMA, weight cutting is far more extreme due to the wrestling culture. You get a lot more people passing out during weight cutting in MMA and thus more last min fight cancellations. That amateur MMA fighter Rondel Clark died because of dehydrating a couple years back.
Your brain can smack the side of your skull and cause a hemorage due to dehydration taking shots on a dehdrated brain is 100x more dangerous

Missed once in 2013, thats the official data available, im not pretending anything, Khabib has not look like a dead man on the scale, he hasnt fought in California, so there is no official weight data on fight night to make him or not a weight bully.

Very few fighters look happy on the scale, i would still not put him in the "killing himself at weigh-ins" category.
I personally recall him missing weight at least 3 times not sure where you get your available info or started following but I remember it from real time

No. I always just assumed it was to allow for contingency planning.

If someone is worried about negative dehydration effects...isn't that a clear sign that they should be fighting in a higher weight class? Would love to see them move official weigh ins closer to the fight time. I think this would force fighters to fight at their natural weight.

Almost everybody cuts weight. If you implemented any system that dissuades weight cuts then 90% of fighters would move up. The same guys would still be fighting each other.

The official weigh ins use to be closer to the fight. They were moved to the earlier slot for good reason and should stay there. Healthier fighters equal better fights. The ship on fighters competing closer to their natural weights has long since sailed.

I also assumed it was better timing for news/media plus low costs to run in business hours.

I personally recall him missing weight at least 3 times not sure where you get your available info or started following but I remember it from real time
He has pulled out right before, but on his UFC record he has only missed weight once, against Trujillo.

Because there would be matches like Rumble Johnson vs Conor MacGregor for the welterweight title

Yeah but then 30+ hrs to rehydrate is essentially allowing them to come fight at whatever weight they want too.

Maybe fighters can only be allowed hydrate up to a certain amount by fight night.

Long story short

Michael Spinks opponent. Didn't make weight in the early 80s

Promoter and network asked him to fight anyway.

He said "no".

So, boxing started having the weigh ins the day before to give them more time to weigh-in.

The "hydration" story is just a cover.

And now you know

the problem with One is that they promote it as a good system, but then a lot of the hydrations tests and such happen behind closed doors. so we just have to take their word that it's working as well as they say it is.

They've started showing some videos of the weigh in's.

They've started showing some videos of the weigh in's.

Any info on how their system works? For instance, DJ used to fight at 125, but he was over 140lbs on fight night, they only bumped him to 135, thats still +5lbs weight cut, is there like a number for how much they can cut and still pass their tests? From cutting +15lbs to around 5 sounds like and improvement to me, but they sell it as "erradicating weight cut", its still a weight cut, not a huge one, right?

What if they did weigh ins 2 days before a fight. We’d probably be seeing 200lb featherweights

Doesnt look like killing himself to make weight
1281750805.jpg.jpg

unlike certain other fighter used to look at FW

yriVawb.jpg
Lol khabib got sent to the hospital for weight cutting

They should reinstate IV’s so we can poison them.

Lol khabib got sent to the hospital for weight cutting
Yeah that was literally one of the worst examples he could of used. Him, Rumble, Big Rig, or Holloway are also bad options.

Back