• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's the most unique submission you've ever seen in MMA?

shit is brutal when you get the day old stubble going
I like to feed my arm around the back of the neck and the grip there shoulder as a handle and use my weight and the squeeze of my shoulder and biceps to pull them up into the chin as I use my weight to push down

Works really well in the gi or with a rash guard on, much harder to hit in mma where there’s no friction

When I watched that live I never thought Pete was tapping to that tbh, but once Frank cranked it I thought he was gonna tear his arm off lol.

Chonan with the flying scissors takedown into a heelhook on Anderson Silva

d9524d3f2dac396d810622266b2aa3bad3ccc27a.gif

A punch to the buttocks can ended a career forever too.
Yeah, I'm quite sure we've seen a lot more long-term damage and CTE from simple punches than oblique kicks. And you can ask the opponents of Gerard Gordeau and Jon Hess (in my AV) how much damage can be done when you target someone's eyes.

I’m not sure if this was mentioned, but I gotta go with Alexy Olynk and the Ezekiel choke.

He pulled it off twice while bigger men were on top of him. The sheer shock of being submitted like that from the bottom just baffled people and all the while Alexy was well into his 40’s showing these young guns that he wasn’t done

C0D77456-0135-4310-999A-2B8E0CEB1110.jpeg 076B2FB9-0A20-4878-945D-6E90B9C40AF3.jpeg

I’m not sure if this was mentioned, but I gotta go with Alexy Olynk and the Ezekiel choke.

He pulled it off twice while bigger men were on top of him. The sheer shock of being submitted like that from the bottom just baffled people and all the while Alexy was well into his 40’s showing these young guns that he wasn’t done

View attachment 1011011 View attachment 1011012

My favorite is his standing Ezekiel choke on Albini, it was beautiful.

Michael Chiesa's one arm kimura against Carlos Condit was naaaaaasty!
Right at the beginning of this vid.

Kerrs eye socket chin crush against Bobish hasn’t been duplicated I don’t think

Maurice Greene's arm triangle from the bottom on Gian Villante. Was both unique and hilarious. Pretty sure Villante just got tired and gave up.

Good calls with KZ's twister on Garcia and Nick's gogoplata on Gomi.

I like it when a lot of people are not quite sure what is happening or has happened...e.g., early Von Flue chokes, Rothwell's 'gogo choke', buggy choke setup, etc.

This made me think back to when I was 10 years old and watched Royce tap Severn with a triangle choke. At this time, I didn't know you could strangle someone with your legs.

Watch from 3 minutes sir.

A "what really happened" breakdown that fails to even offer an explanation for the dead arm drop? I think that's the part most people were confused about, no?

Just entertain for a minute that the position of RL's right arm contributed to completing the choke, and the arm dropping released the choke. Think of a Von Flu for instance. How many times have you heard Cormier say, "You just have to let go of the headlock" to stop the choke? RL's arm dropping was the equivalent of letting go of the headlock in a Von Flu. Since the arm dropped right at the edge of uncosciousness, he regained alertness quickly.

tl;dr
If you view the arm drop as BOTH the moment of unconsciousness, and the release of the choke. Then everything after that makes perfect sense.

Back