whats the bulldog choke?

Pointless information on the Bulldog choke. Newtons back muscles looks so jacked when he performed it.

I watched Lyle Beerbohm finish a guy with this move in Kent, WA this summer. It was announced as submission by "schoolyard choke".

Saulo shows a no gi variant of the clock choke on the Freestyle Revolution set that is more or less the same as a bulldog choke (but with a set-up from turtle side, doing the clock walk to the finishing position).

it's something i never want to be tapped with.

duane ludwig got submitted by lyle beerbohm a couple months ago from this choke.

you need some short, stubby, ripped arms to do this hold well.

sadly, that applies to a ton of subs. damn my 'just lanky enough to make subs loose, but too short to gain any real hight advantage' self.

Definitely not true. I hit the bulldog choke all the time from a cross face. After I grab the gable grip I drop my hips and almost seem to do a N/S choke finish...but belly up. It's an ultra fast choke and I've accidentally choked a guy out with it...lethal.

White belt on his second day caught me in one. I tried to pull him down and turn in to side control but he was too strong so I just tapped. I really regreted it because the cocky bastard got up and acted like he won mudials. The next time we rolled though he wouldn't tap to an armbarI guess I got him back. The bulldog choke is a horrible submission to have to tap to, very embarassing.

What I likew about this choke is you use your entire body against his neck and the more you sit thru the tighter it gets.
The weakness of this move is if you miss it you will be put in a very bad position.

bulldog chokes look like playground headlocks. i suppose if it's in deep then you might have a problem. i really didnt think pros got caught with it (until i saw miletech)

It's also when of the best ways to bang your ears up and get some good cauliflower ear. I hate trying to take the back if somebody has this headlock/choke on.

It's also when of the best ways to bang your ears up and get some good cauliflower ear. I hate trying to take the back if somebody has this headlock/choke on.

Yes indeedy. I'm lucky I get so slippery, or my ears would be a lot worse than they are from just this scenario.

One time Ryan Hall did this to me, then picked me up with it and walked me over to the mirror (still in the choke) and made me watch myself tap out to it while he laughed at me. I'm not joking.

One time Ryan Hall did this to me, then picked me up with it and walked me over to the mirror (still in the choke) and made me watch myself tap out to it while he laughed at me. I'm not joking.

That's messed up.

I love this choke because most people don't see it coming/aren't very familiar with it.

ideally you want it with arm in, to make it tighter and harder to escape.

easiest transition is from seatbelt control.

you need some short, stubby, ripped arms to do this hold well.

sadly, that applies to a ton of subs. damn my 'just lanky enough to make subs loose, but too short to gain any real hight advantage' self.

I disagree, in fact i think this is better for lanky people to be honest. I have a lanky thin build and this is one of my favorite techniques from the back on opponents 20-50% larger

Last edited:
Back