What's the best/your favorite weight class and why?

For me it's MW because for me its the best mix of skill and athleticism + power and excitement. I don't think we're in a great MW era though, unfortunately.

I feel the same about MW. It seems the perfect balance between power, speed and skill.
The other reason is my favourite boxers as a kid (haglar, hearns and benn) were mainly MW, or had at least held titles there

• Welterweight- most skilled without being too small. Anything lower just reminds me of kids fighting. Ussually the most talent rich division too. Great smaller guys can move up and survive here too.
  • Middleweight/Super MW. Sometimes it's almost interchangeable to me. It's the best balance of Speed, Cardio, Skill, Power. Ussually very competitive.
  • Heavyweight For the freakshow fights and KOs. And the title of baddest dude on the planet. Also, to me has the best legacy and history of all the divisions.

I kind of like it all.

Certain era's in boxing are better than others.
The heavy weight division is more appreciated
live. You can hear the blows being exchanged.
You had that Ali era and then the Tyson one.

Middle weight is also very good. the Hagler,
Hearns, Leonard, Duran. Was an amazing
time in boxing. It's a weight class that delivers
fierce speed with power. I see it as being the
most dangerous in knock outs pound for pound.

The light weights are very competitive and
always around for a good running.

Of course, I watch everything & I have for four decades. But, as a kid, I became interested in the sport because of the heavyweight division. My very first favorite fighter was Ken Norton. So, all these years later, it's still my favorite weight class.

Heavyweight For the freakshow fights and KOs.
Fans more look at HW division because they are ……….boring fans.

Actual KO power does have all weight classes and because boxer's size is different, even bantamweight might show nice KOs.
--
Last fatatlities happened not in HW division and also earlier cases more were not in HW division too.

Fans more look at HW division because they are ……….boring fans.

Actual KO power does have all weight classes and because boxer's size is different, even bantamweight might show nice KOs.
--
Last fatatlities happened not in HW division and also earlier cases more were not in HW division too.
What?

I actually understand the sentences but it still makes legitimately zero sense.

At heavyweight, 1 single shot on the button and you're absolutely fucked. Done. Cooked.

Plus factor in how big they are....their energy conservation is a skill in and of itself way more than any of the other weights. You can't jump around for 36 minutes at that size...it just isn't gonna work.

So basically you have to just plant your feet and play the lottery of cte on an entirely different level...unless you're one of the 0.5% of heavyweights who can actually get on their bike and put on a boxing clinic

At heavyweight, 1 single shot on the button and you're absolutely fucked. Done. Cooked.
You most likely didn't watched some bouts in lighter weight classes.
They sometimes KOed with single body blow too.
Still this doesn't make sense.;)
Doesn't makes sense that not all fights in lighter than HW weight classes went full distance.
Some ends after 3 rd round, some in 5 th round etc.
Plus factor in how big they are

If you are 150 lber and are hit by 150 lber will you feel better than if you are 220 lber hit by 220 lber?:)
--------------
Small guys too conserve energy, they don't box 10 or 12 rounder like they box 4 rounder.
Plus there also is tactique that some add output and start move faster after first rounds not initially etc.
Are a bit slow and explosively become fast etc.
-
You don't run 1/2 mile distance like 20 miles or marathon regardless are you 220 lber or 120 lber.;)
-
Also if abot HW=slow, then opponent too is another HW guy.
Lightweigt guys have lightweight opponent and skills to use energy there are necessity.

I'd argue Welterweight is historically more stacked than Middleweight.

Robinson, Leonard, Duran, Hearn, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Dela Hoya, Trinidad, etc. A lot of these guys just happen to move up to middleweight too.

Welterweight and Middleweight have the most talent because they consist of average-sized men, so there's simply a higher quantity of fighters.

I'd argue Welterweight is historically more stacked than Middleweight.

Robinson, Leonard, Duran, Hearn, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Dela Hoya, Trinidad, etc. A lot of these guys just happen to move up to middleweight too.

Welterweight and Middleweight have the most talent because they consist of average-sized men, so there's simply a higher quantity of fighters.

Yeah, in terms of weights where guys hit their prime, I'd say WW probably has the most high-end talent. The most big-name talent, anyway.

I wonder what weight this kid will hit his prime at? it’s good to start young.

Has to be HW for me, nothing like a big HW fight, I was glued to Canelo v GGG but the Wilder v Fury fights (and going back Lewis v Tyson) were just unmissable.

Unlike most fans, I dont have a favorite division. Only reason I may have not watched many sub 126 fights is only because they arent shown as much. Ricardo Lopez didnt get none of the coverage of his contemporaries.

Has to be HW for me, nothing like a big HW fight, I was glued to Canelo v GGG but the Wilder v Fury fights (and going back Lewis v Tyson) were just unmissable.
Most people say the same thing. I posted in another thread how Emmanuel steward had contempt for big men, going back to his earliest interviews, the writer mentioned that he had a heavyweight and steward told him it was only because he knew him from a child.

Hard to narrow it down.
Maybe welter or lightweight??

Also I got love for 105!

Only one weight! Heavy

let them little pukes step up. Baddest man on the planet can only be one weight class. That’s my fav anyhow

Back