What's the best/your favorite weight class and why?

stuff jones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
For me it's MW because for me its the best mix of skill and athleticism + power and excitement. I don't think we're in a great MW era though, unfortunately.

They're all going to 168...

Dunno if I have a favorite weightclass. I’m partial to a good show, no matter the style. I tried to rank my favorite bouts lately and they’re all the way from 115 to 200.

On paper I’m thrilled when they put up big fights from 147 to 160, but the good fights are as likely to happen higher or lower.

Last edited:
my instant response was to say 160 as well, but i have to admit i agree with @Hagler.

my favorite fighters are spread across divisions from 115 all the way to HW.

Probably MW, as well. Also, it wasn't exactly a great MW era, but it was probably the best since the late 80s.

I like Super middle weight. It was my favourite weight class growing up. But it's not exactly great at the moment.

Always seem to have great fights at 135

I like Super middle weight. It was my favourite weight class growing up. But it's not exactly great at the moment.
Canelo and ggg 3rd fight at 168 do we know?

Super middle/light heavy, just because it's my weight class. Good blend of power and skill. Lately I have been getting into some of the older lightweight and featherweight matches.

The recent era/crop of cruisers was by far the most exciting in boxing for a while. Usyk, Gassiev, Dorticos, Briedis, Glowacki, Vlasov etc

Last edited:
MW and HW. Hw for obvious reasons. Its history, its the most prestigious title in sports to be the HW-Boxing Champ. The Power and the fact that weightclasses aside, the HW Champ could beat any other champ of the lower weightclasses.
MW because as HW it has rich history, is perhabs the second most prestigious weight class, and has the perfect combination of technique and power. A proper MW can punch, but still has sharp technique. Its kind of a sweetspot in this regard.

Heavyweight has the most talent , I believe over 10 national and Olympic champions at the same time which is unheard of .

Yes I know there’s a few who can get a medal easily or win a first place in the nationals , Ive seen it on here already...........<{ohyeah}>

Middle of the road guy, like most here. Anything from 140 all the way to light heavy is where I feel the best mix of KO power, athleticism/fluidity of skill, and honestly competitive depth lies. I'm like some, HW really decides the baddest man on the planet, but sometimes the big guys dont deliver the action because of their size and clumsiness, but size matters. I'm a smaller guy, and I'm used to the frenetic pace lightweight competitors have in combat sports from my own wrestling days, but the middle of the road weights can be just as insane and you are dealing with bigger men who can in boxing's case, hit much harder. The stakes and likelihood of a stoppage just feels bigger. And in boxing you have the money divisions really starting at 147, so the competition is just more worth watching because you have depth and more cards mean more imo. I think this is also a law of averages, and I think more adult men find themselves in the 130-175 range than in the super big or super small size range... might be dependent where you are from, I'm talking shit out my ass at this point, but we know the talent dense parts of the world, so might be a fun discussion. But the combination, that best of both worlds feeling almost all the way up to Cruiser (hell even cruiser is exciting lately) is really why I am very interested to know the outcome and career paths of 147, 154, 160, 168, 175 fighters. I might be wrong about competitive depth across those divisions, I know in the lower weights theres been some noise, I really like Estrada, and I also know some of the weightclasses I favor aren't having the best era, but I'll take a matchup like Gman vs Benn or more recently Canelo vs just about anyone over a HW tilt or a LW bout.

Historically-147, 126, 160. Right now-heavy and SM.

Wp1jFq8HZqGiP2wD9
Superfly_poster.jpg

Back