Whats the best way to gain weight with a high metabolism?

D4Damager

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm 23 years old living in Canada. I'm about 6', 145lbs. Pretty skinny but a little ripped since I dont have much body fat.

I eat like a pig, tonnes of fast food, greasy foods, lots of sweets and I never gain a single pound, its always been like this. So my question, whats the best way for someone like me to gain weight? A friend told me to eat lots of proteins/protein shakes and work out like crazy with the heaviest weights possible?

Any ideas? Should I try to stick to eating a specific kind of food? should I try supplements? what would be the best route?

My lifestyle isnt very physical, my job isnt too bad and I work out here and there, more casually at home when im bored then anything else. I usually have about 2 meals a day.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :D

Don't try to do anything yet before you really understand your diet. Lots of people that are underweight underestimate total caloric intake.

Keep a log for one month of exactly everything you eat. Eat normally.

At the end of the month, add up the total calories for each day and take the average.

Based on that, increase your intake by 30-50%. Make sure you stick with it. Eat more frequent meals. And add strength training so more of the calories are converted to muscle over fat.

id say fewer, larger meals. the more often you eat, the faster your metabolism works.

I eat like a pig, tonnes of fast food, greasy foods, lots of sweets and I never gain a single pound, its always been like this. So my question, whats the best way for someone like me to gain weight? A friend told me to eat lots of proteins/protein shakes and work out like crazy with the heaviest weights possible?

HA HA HA to every idiot and asshole who has ever posted in this forum "eat more" to gain weight. This is exactly what I've always said. Here's someone who eats like an elephant and is still a twig (no offense). I hope all of you see now the stupidity that goes on.

Now to answer your question you really should have done a search because there's a bout a zillion threads on this. But I'll give you the most recent one where this question was answered:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=302584

My lifestyle isnt very physical, my job isnt too bad and I work out here and there, more casually at home when im bored then anything else. I usually have about 2 meals a day.

2 meals a day is fuck all, you cant be eating much in 2 meals a day

The same way you eat to gain weight if you have a low metabolism.

Thanks for the input so far. So in general, eat more? :)

I'll keep track of what I eat now too. How about as far as supplements go? anyone recommend anything good? Hows the Xyience line of supplements?

Basically, try to increase your caloric intake. Start by continuing to eat how you normally do, but add about 600-700 calories more per day. You'll gain weight at a gradual pace & won't feel bloated, which I did when I was gaining too much weight too soon (IMO).

On non-workout days, my weight gainer:

500 mL 1% milk
1/2 cup rolled oats (ie Quaker Oats)
1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein
1 serving Danone Cardivia yogurt
2 tablespoon natural peanut butter

56 g carbohydrates
726 calories
16 g fat
3 g saturated fat
25 mg cholesterol
310 mg sodium
10 g sugar
56 g protein

I drink half sometime during the day, refrigerate the other half & drink it before bed.

On workout days, my pre & post-workout shake:

500 mL water
2 medium bananas
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 scoops PVL My-X40
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter

106 g carbohydrates
714 calories
13 g fat
1 g saturated fat
192 mg sodium
29 g sugar
51 g protein

I drink half of it before workout, refrigerate the other half & drink it after workout.

First you need to eat at least three meals a day, and second just because you want to gain weight doesn't mean don't eat healthy. To keep it real simple use the food pyramid.

D4Damager said:
I eat like a pig, tonnes of fast food, greasy foods, lots of sweets and I never gain a single pound, its always been like this.

For one thing, your body can't build muscle from junk food. Like the old saying "garbage in - garbage out".

Also, while eating more smaller meals will increase your metabolism, it's highly unlikely that it will increase it to a point where you aren't gaining weight. I used to eat just like you. I ate about 3 meals a day and a few snacks that were almost always junk food. At least one of my meals was fast food and sometimes another one would be processed / packaged crap. Eating more frequent smaller meals, your body will be able to absorb more of what you eat instead of it most of it going straight to your lower intestine (or being turned into fat).

Also, just saying you're eating a lot does not mean that you're definitely getting enough calories or enough of the right calories. Unless you take the time to track what you're eating and what's in it, you probably aren't eating as much (much less as much good stuff) as you think you are.

Since I've changed my diet and workout, I've gone from 135 lbs. to 160 lbs. in about 3 months. I'm averaging about 2.5 lbs. a week. A little of which I'm sure is fat, but as small as I was that little bit of fat hasn't hurt much. I definitely don't "look" more fat now, but I have had quite a few compliments from coworkers and friends who noticed how much better I look; none of them were aware of my new diet / exercise plan.

I eat just over 3000 calories a day which includes 3 meals and 3 snacks in between meals. My meals consist of a lot of potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, etc. for carbs. Steak, ground beef, chicken, tuna, milk, eggs, etc. for protein. Fats in the form of fish oil pills, olive oil, mayo, butter, etc. I eat about 100 g of protein a day. Some people say I should be eating about 160 - 240 g but I've had success with what I'm eating.

I drink about 80 oz. of water and 2 - 3 cups of milk each day. To give you an idea of a day's worth of meals for me:

Breakfast (6am)
Homemade hash (1 med. potato diced, 2 oz. of ham, 1/8 of an onion diced, salt) = brown it all down until the potatoes are soft. Top with syrup and eat with a glass of milk to drink.
1 package of grits with butter and 1 piece of toast with butter.. Eat with a cup of OJ to drink.

Morning snack (9am)
1 package of oatmeal, 1 med. banana, 2 fig newton cookies (NOT all mixed together), and a cup of milk.
1 oz. of beef jerky.

Lunch (12pm)
2 oz. of spaghetti, 1/3 cup of spaghetti sauce, 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, 1 chicken breast (cut up and pre-cooked). Mix together and eat with a glass of Kool-Aid to drink.
2 slices of bread.

Afternoon snack (3pm)
4 slices of bread, 1 can of tuna, 1 TBSP of mayo (makes 2 sandwiches).
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds or cashews.

Dinner (6pm)
1 cup of rice covered with gravy from browning 3 oz. of steak with 1/8 of a diced onion.
2 slices of bread. Kool-Aid to drink.

Evening snack (9pm)
12 oz. of milk with whey protein powder.
2 slices of toast with butter and 1 med. banana.

My meals / snacks average 500 calories each (some a little more / some a little less). I also take 3 g of fish oil each day and a multi-vitamin. The only other supplement I use is creatine monohydrate which I mix 5g of with apple juice. I take it for 2 weeks, then take 2 weeks off before starting again.

I lift 3 days a week. I go 3 weeks heavy weight / low reps, then 1 week med. weight / med. reps. Every 8th week is off from lifting. Being a small guy, recovery is SUPER important.

My workout is (all exercises are 4 sets each):
Monday (chest / shoulders / tris): Bench Press, Inclined Bench Press, Military Press, French Press.

Tuesday: off

Wednesday (legs): Squats, Deadlifts, Calf Raises

Thursday: off

Friday (back / biceps / forearms): Barbell Rows, Chin-ups, Barbell Curls, Wrist Curls, Dumbbell Shrugs.

Saturday: off
Sunday: off

The only way to get bigger is to eat & lift big, but that doesn't mean you can just throw a ton of junk food / fast food down your throat and grow muscles. If you're a classic 'skinny bastard' like I was/am, then the only way to change that is to make eating / lifting a job. I'm used to it now and it's not a problem to eat, but the first week was rough. I had to make myself eat even when I wasn't hungry. It sucked at the time, but it's paid off.

After you keep the log and figure out what you actually take in, construct a HEALTHY diet with more calories than currently being burned. Keep increasing the amount of your daily intake until you figure out your maintenance calorie count. Of course add in lifting and account for those calories too. Now to make faster weight gains you must exceed your maintenance calorie count. Play with it to see where you are comfortable. Finally remember to adjust your calorie intake to compensate for the new muscle.

By the way it is pretty simple calories taken in > calories burned = gain in mass

Just appreciate the fast metabolism while you've got it kiddo, and be thankful that it's not the other way around... like me! :( hahahaha

Eat more Good foods + Lifting heavy = Gaining Weight.

try to eat high in protein meals and stack a protein shake on that.. after workouts.

Weight is a matter of calories consumed minus calories burned. eat more food.

Eric O said:
Eat more Good foods + Lifting heavy = Gaining Weight.

I don't agree with this for the reason I don't consider the hypertrophic range to be "lifting heavy."

Madmick said:
I don't agree with this for the reason I don't consider the hypertrophic range to be "lifting heavy."

Explain.

weight gain powders in between meals... like Prolabs' N-Large or CytoGainer, or Muscle Milk..

o yeh, and lifting :wink:

Hey thanks a lot for all the helpful info guys I'm writing a lot of stuff down. Really appreciate all the info.

As far as supplements go I'm going to get some weight gainer or maybe some protein. Is there a good recommended supplement brand? or some brands to stay away from maybe?
I live in Canada and there seems to be a lot of PVL sold here in stores, is that stuff decent usually or....?

Madmick said:

muscle growth isnt the only way to gain weight :wink:

Back