• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's the argument for Floyd being "greater" than Muhammad Ali?

In the context of this thread I guess part of the difference is that Mayweather beat Canelo but when Ali fought the 6-0-1 inexperienced LHW gold medallist Leon Spinks 18 months after he won his gold medal it was Spinks who won it.
In looking back at the first Ali-Spinks fight, I see they fought it on a Wednesday night. Different world back then.... That would simply never happen now.

IF the object of the fight game is to win as many fights as possible, take as little damage as possible and make the most money...Floyd is the GOAT

That is NOT the object of the fight "game".
That might be yours....or some others but it’s not "the" object.

If it was, boxing would never have lasted this long and at the level it is.

Boxing's object has always been one thing......who’s the better man at throwing fists, in the end ?

Over time there’s been additions and twists and tinkerings with that definition but the overall spirit has never changed.
It’s never really been about win all, risk minimum, most reward which is kind of a bastardisation of the results of the true object but never the actual goal.

Boxing's object has always been one thing......who’s the better man at throwing fists, in the end ?

Over time there’s been additions and twists and tinkerings with that definition but the overall spirit has never changed.
It’s never really been about win all, risk minimum, most reward which is kind of a bastardisation of the results of the true object but never the actual goal.
thats true of the actual sport of boxing but from an athlete’s pov: you dont want to lose, suffer brain damage and make less money than you could have .

from a fans pov we want drama and action

thats true of the actual sport of boxing but from an athlete’s pov: you dont want to lose, suffer brain damage and make less money than you could have .

from a fans pov we want drama and action

Yeah this might come as a surprise to you but a lot of pro athletes are after glory. Of course they want to get paid well too but their place in history matters.

You think a Serena Williams, Nadal, Hamilton, Schumacher, Ali, Leonard, Duran etc are / were just chasing money ?
There’s a shit load of athletes, in their sports, who would like nothing more than having their names right along side them.

You come across as one who’s bought too much into the Mayweather speak.

Yeah this might come as a surprise to you but a lot of pro athletes are after glory. Of course they want to get paid well too but their place in history matters.

You think a Serena Williams, Nadal, Hamilton, Schumacher, Ali, Leonard, Duran etc are / were just chasing money ?
There’s a shit load of athletes, in their sports, who would like nothing more than having their names right along side them.

You come across as one who’s bought too much into the Mayweather speak.
bro I was just answering the OP and notice I prefaced my original comment with “IF”.

of course fighters want glory but self preservation and not being disabled in old age makes boxing different than other sports, every boxer wants to leave the game with their faculties intact

a hundred times sharper is obviously a hyperbole. and i wasn't really talking about general ability to fight, or style of fighting. ali was fast as lightning for a man his size, and he was well ahead of his time technically.

but if we look at what is considered proper clean technique, what makes a fighter sharp, slick, whatever you want to call it, floyd has it in abundance over someone like ali. everything he throws is just cleaner. there's no arm punching, he's always turning his shoulders, he rarely throws any wild shots, there's proper torque behind everything. the fight in which this was really obvious to me was floyd vs DLH. oscar was an awesome fighter, but he looks as stiff as a board against floyd. and yet people have a hard time acknowledging that floyd was the better boxer.
despite being stiff oscar was able to defend against floyd more than some of floyd opponents

so nothing to do with head movement then, correct?

Back