Whats next for welterweights?

VroomyJeeps

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
in my opinion....

Wonderboy vs Lawler (sorry woodley but nobody wants to see you fight for a title right now)

Nick Diaz vs Johny Hendricks

Both fighters are coming back in August it makes sense.

Carlos Condit vs Rory Macdonald 2

seems like the right time to make this rematch

Tyron Woodley vs Sidelines

Says he will sit out for a title shot, oh well

Kelvin Gastelum vs Alan Jouban

Kelvin needs a step down. Jouban needs a step up. Make it happen.

Albert Tumenov vs Ryan Laflare

Tumenov and Laflare are similarly ranked and this fight makes sense

Tarec Saffiedine vs HDK

Now that Tarec has a win under his belt and DHK wants a title run I say why not

Gunnar Nelson vs Patrick Cote

Nelson coming off a loss to Maia needs a slight step back, Cote on a streak needs a step up. Could ne a good fit for UFN 87 in the Netherlands.

Lorenz Larkin vs Thiago Alves

Both coming off losses, both strikers, could be fun but I want Alves down to 155. If he doesn't put him against Larkin.

Rick Story vs Warlley Alves

Warlley needs a step up in competition and Rick has been out for long time so he should come back and fight a fringe top 15 guy. If Story is healthy I wouldn't mind it.

The rest of the top guys are already booked.

What matchups do you want to see?

Lawler - Woodley
Wonderboy - Condit
Diaz - Brown (if Matt beats Maia)

I like all those fights. Carlos might not want to take the Rory fight though.

Seemed like he was on the verge of retirement after his last fight, so I think the UFC would have to give him a title shot again or nothing.

Nick doesn't want to fight any boring ass wrestlers, homie.

Nick doesn't want to fight any boring ass wrestlers, homie.

Nick said he wants big fights.

from my point of view nobody wants to see condit vs Diaz again and nick aint getting any free title shots coming off multiple losses.

Hendricks is a fresh fight, a former champ, a big fight for nick that could put him in title position.

it makes too much sense + they are both returning in August

My big problem is with your list is giving Diaz a wrestler. If the UFC wants him to have any momentum for a big fight like Lawler II, Condit II, or even McGregor, then they shouldn't give him a wrestler.

Also, out of curiosity, how would your plans change if Conor beats RDA and decides to challenge Lawler, getting the next WW title shot? Who would Thompson face then?

Finally, what about a fight for GSP? Anderson Silva superfight?

Nick said he wants big fights.

from my point of view nobody wants to see condit vs Diaz again and nick aint getting any free title shots coming off multiple losses.

Hendricks is a fresh fight, a former champ, a big fight for nick that could put him in title position.

it makes too much sense + they are both returning in August

It's too much of a bad stylistic fight for Diaz. If he wants a win for momentum or a title shot or whatever, then Hendricks is not the fight for him. Also, just because they'll both be back in August doesn't automatically mean they need to fight each other. There will be other available welterweights in August too.

Conor isn't going to fight at 170, that's the same kind of nonsense as Ronda saying she could beat men.

Lawler vs Wonderboy
Maia vs Brown
Rory vs Story
Condit vs Hendricks 2 in a five rounder
Woodley vs. Lombard/Magny winner
Tarec vs. Lombard/Magny loser
Kelvin vs. Gunnar

Did you not get bored writing all this?

My big problem is with your list is giving Diaz a wrestler. If the UFC wants him to have any momentum for a big fight like Lawler II, Condit II, or even McGregor, then they shouldn't give him a wrestler.

Also, out of curiosity, how would your plans change if Conor beats RDA and decides to challenge Lawler, getting the next WW title shot? Who would Thompson face then?

It's too much of a bad stylistic fight for Diaz. If he wants a win for momentum or a title shot or whatever, then Hendricks is not the fight for him. Also, just because they'll both be back in August doesn't automatically mean they need to fight each other. There will be other available welterweights in August too.

my thought is that if McGregor wins, dana shoots down another title shot at 170lbs. i really don't see it happening.

i think Connor either fights Frankie next or drops the 145lb belt. if he drops the 145lb belt and wants a shot at the 170 champ theres a small chance he would get it but probably not imo. In that case i think Dana says you have to defend your belt before moving up again.

If GSP comes back obviously he trumps everyone. You make GSP vs Lawler and Woodley vs Wonderboy for the #1 contender match. if Woodley refuses you keep him benched indefinitely and and figure something else out.

just my opinion

wonderboy/lawler
condit/woodley II
rory/hendricks
maia/brown
tumenov/tarec
gunni/larkin

Agree with Wonderboy being due for a title shot.

Conor isn't going to fight at 170, that's the same kind of nonsense as Ronda saying she could beat men.

Lawler vs Wonderboy
Maia vs Brown
Rory vs Story
Condit vs Hendricks 2 in a five rounder
Woodley vs. Lombard/Magny winner
Tarec vs. Lombard/Magny loser
Kelvin vs. Gunnar
Cool I like that .and love how Rory vs story sound

we just saw Hendricks get handled by a good striker. Diaz is a good albeit different kind of striker but also has a huge height and reach advantage like wonderboy did.

if his jits is as good as he says he should be able to do fine on the ground. Hendricks might be able to take you down but hes not good with ground control like GSP was.

I would also make it 5 round main event to give Diaz the edge.

its a fight i want to see

Cool I like that .and love how Rory vs story sound

story has been out nearly 2 years it doesn't make any sense to match him up with rory. plus i don't think he was even in the top 10 when he left

wonderboy/lawler
condit/woodley II
rory/hendricks
maia/brown
tumenov/tarec
gunni/larkin

i can dig it.

only problem is woodley is refusing to fight unless its a title shot so hes really messing things up

This place always complains about the matchmaking being suspect, then complains that Diaz shouldn't fight wrestlers so that the UFC can exploit his star power.

Anyway, Vroomy is my *****, and this thread needs more Vroomy art.

I know a lot of matches are set, but here's how the division should look.

Lawler vs Wonderboy
Maia vs Woodley
Hendricks vs Rory
Brown vs Magny
Saffeidine vs Tumenov
Story vs DHK
Condit vs Lombard
Gastelum vs Gunnar

I know a lot of matches are set, but here's how the division should look.

Lawler vs Wonderboy
Maia vs Woodley
Hendricks vs Rory
Brown vs Magny
Saffeidine vs Tumenov
Story vs DHK
Condit vs Lombard
Gastelum vs Gunnar

here's the problem with these

maia is booked already vs brown
magny is booked already with lombard
woodley is refusing to fight unless its for a title