What's next for Cub Swanson? Who would you like to see him fight?

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok so Cub Swanson is one of my favourite fighters ever, I'm not the kind of fan who soon as they go on a bit of a losing streak I'll support or like them less, I'm still a fan for what they bring in the octagon as well as who they are as likeable people too.

I know Cub had a bit of a losing streak recently however lets not forget the fantastic fight he brought with Doo Ho Choi, one of the greatest fights of all time in my opinion.

For me, I'd like to see him go up against Zabit, I think that would be a really interesting along the lines of the Choi fight as not only are they both great strikers but look at the slug fest Zabit had with Bochniak and I reckon we could get something along the lines like that with Cub.

I know Zabit is currently climbing the rankings and would probably want a higher ranked opponent however I do feel it would be a good fight.

If we're talking other opponents in featherweight we've got Rodriguez, Kattar, Allen and Emmet who would probably bring some good fights with Cub.

So what are your thoughts, who would you like to see Cub go up against next, I'd be interested to hear some potential match up's from you guys.

------------------------------------

A reminder of one of my favourite fights of all time.

Kron Gracie, apparently

Yeah I heard about that for October but I was wondering in regards to potential fights you'd like to see? :)

Edit: I just read up on that a bit more now as I wasn't sure how true it was (think I just saw something on Twitter from someone) but looks like it's a verbal agreement, what do you reckon to that? :)

A fight with Zabit makes 0 sense. Zabit is ranked #5 and is unbeaten in the UFC. Cub is not even ranked anymore and is 0-4 in his last four fights.

I think he should fight someone unranked next and try to finally get a win. He could maybe try avenge his loss to Lamas, but really he should also consider retirement at this point.

A fight with Zabit makes 0 sense. Zabit is ranked #5 and is unbeaten in the UFC. Cub is not even ranked anymore and is 0-4 in his last four fights.

I think he should fight someone unranked next and try to finally get a win. He could maybe try avenge his loss to Lamas, but really he should also consider retirement at this point.

I knew someone would say this, this is why I mentioned in the OP "I know Zabit is currently climbing the rankings and would probably want a higher ranked opponent however I do feel it would be a good fight" - I reckon the fight would be good.

I'm talking from a good fight perspective.

I knew someone would say this, this is why I mentioned in the OP "I know Zabit is currently climbing the rankings and would probably want a higher ranked opponent however I do feel it would be a good fight" - I reckon the fight would be good.

Sure, but there are plenty of amazing fights one can think of that don't make any sense. There is a whole subforum for fantasy matchups.

Personally I feel this one would be a huge mismatch, and I'd rather see them fight different people anyway.

Sure, but there are plenty of amazing fights one can think of that don't make any sense. There is a whole subforum for fantasy matchups.

Personally I feel this one would be a huge mismatch, and I'd rather see them fight different people anyway.

That's fair enough if you don't feel it would, I do feel it would be a great fight, again I go back to the Choi and Bochniak fights they both had and feel those two together would be great as they both like to go in like this also.

Who would you rather see him fight then? That's the idea of this and what I was wondering.

It's not a fantasy match up, it's a potential one.

That's fair enough if you don't feel it would, I do feel it would be a great fight, again I go back to the Choi and Bochniak fights they both had and feel those two together would be great as they both like to go in like this also.

Who would you rather see him fight then? That's the idea of this and what I was wondering.

It's not a fantasy match up, it's a potential one.

I already wrote that in my first post. I think he should fight either someone unranked (Amirkhani would be interesting) or rematch Lamas. As for Zabit, I would have him fight the loser of Max-Edgar.

I already wrote that in my first post. I think he should fight either someone unranked (Amirkhani would be interesting) or rematch Lamas. As for Zabit, I would have him fight the loser of Max-Edgar.

Yeah the Lamas fight, would be good to see Cub get his win back there I reckon.

The Faber fight people have mentioned sounds quite interesting too, it'll be good to see how Faber does this weekend I reckon.

I think we're looking at his last fight or so. I think he should beat Kron by keeping it standing. After, I'd say Faber. They are both a decent draw, both "come to fight" and are both on the same side of the hill, both from SoCal . . . Makes good sense

I think we're looking at his last fight or so. I think he should beat Kron by keeping it standing. After, I'd say Faber. They are both a decent draw, both "come to fight" and are both on the same side of the hill, both from SoCal . . . Makes good sense

Yeah, the Shane Burgos fight was his last loss though it's like anything, just because a fighter has a few losses doesn't necessarily mean that it's time to hang up the gloves, I mean Cowboy could have done this and I suppose Masvidal to a lesser degree and look at them now so I hear what you're saying (I know you didn't specifically say that, I just mean in general).

But yeah that's what I mean in regards to Cub, like what you said there about him and Faber they both come to fight and that's what I like and I do believe Cub still has fuel in the tank, he's just had a bit of a losing streak lately so see how he goes over the next few fights or so as only he can decide when he feels he's ready to do this :)

I'd like to see him with an opponent along the lines of Choi again as we know what those kinda fights bring, however great response :)

I know this sounds crazy, but I'd like to see him fight Kron Gracie.

Yeah, the Shane Burgos fight was his last loss though it's like anything, just because a fighter has a few losses doesn't necessarily mean that it's time to hang up the gloves, I mean Cowboy could have done this and I suppose Masvidal to a lesser degree and look at them now so I hear what you're saying (I know you didn't specifically say that, I just mean in general).

But yeah that's what I mean in regards to Cub, like what you said there about him and Faber they both come to fight and that's what I like and I do believe Cub still has fuel in the tank, he's just had a bit of a losing streak lately so see how he goes over the next few fights or so as only he can decide when he feels he's ready to do this :)

I'd like to see him with an opponent along the lines of Choi again as we know what those kinda fights bring, however great response :)

I kinda wanted to say it differently ... The age, draw and likelyhood of a title shot the same for the both of them. I think it would be a crazy competitive fight.

There's also Aldo

Wait do people really have Zabit in the top 5?

I kinda wanted to say it differently ... The age, draw and likelyhood of a title shot the same for the both of them. I think it would be a crazy competitive fight.

There's also Aldo

Aldo came to mind for me also earlier but I hear you on this too.

I don't think Cub is bothered about a title shot now, I think he just wants to get in and perform and put on good fights, I know when push comes to shove your career is aiming for the top and winning titles etc.. however sometimes we can get a little caught up in that I reckon and miss loads of potential fights, simply cause they don't fit in with the climb towards to top and the rankings etc.. :)

Wait do people really have Zabit in the top 5?

I'd personally like to see Zabit be a bit more active, I'm not sure how regular his fights have been off the top of my head but they do seem quite fragmented.

Aldo came to mind for me also earlier but I hear you on this too.

I don't think Cub is bothered about a title shot now, I think he just wants to get in and perform and put on good fights, I know when push comes to shove your career is aiming for the top and winning titles etc.. however sometimes we can get a little caught up in that I reckon and miss loads of potential fights, simply cause they don't fit in with the climb towards to top and the rankings etc.. :)

I'd personally like to see Zabit be a bit more active, I'm not sure how regular his fights have been off the top of my head but they do seem quite fragmented.

Yeah he doesn’t fight often enough, plus his body of work just doesn’t warrant a top 5 ranking. Chan Sung Jung is wayyyyy more deserving of that top 5 spot than Zabit is. I still don’t think Zabit is the world beater everyone says he is, there’s some tough matchups for him in that division.

You don't seem to be much of a fan since you want him to go on a 5 fight losing streak.

Back