What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, yeah some dude was walking down the hall and hacking. Hotels man, all kinda weird shit

Didn't watch yet, but I'll say that "superior" production, even if it's just a thumbnail or some clips and pictures from fights to help illustrate the points being made can help grow your channel

Fights from today. Bouts 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9 are all my fighters, and all RED corner. My assistant did the corner work as I had a Family function to attend. My heavyweight fought a rematch against a guy who stopped him 2 fights ago:

Fights from today. Bouts 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9 are all my fighters, and all RED corner. My assistant did the corner work as I had a Family function to attend. My heavyweight fought a rematch against a guy who stopped him 2 fights ago:

3rd bout your guy seemed confident that he would take the nod. From the judges perspective, to what you attribute his loss? Lack of volume, maybe? I really like his movement and how didn't rely on blocking punches for defense

at 1h14m40 your guy hits a beautiful sequence, I just hoped he had blasted a couple hooks after turning the guy. Beautiful.

What are the experience level of your guys? I didnt recognize any of them

3rd bout your guy seemed confident that he would take the nod. From the judges perspective, to what you attribute his loss? Lack of volume, maybe? I really like his movement and how didn't rely on blocking punches for defense

at 1h14m40 your guy hits a beautiful sequence, I just hoped he had blasted a couple hooks after turning the guy. Beautiful.

What are the experience level of your guys? I didnt recognize any of them

You mean the little one, Cristian? Yeah he was upset. Lack of volume and giving the opponent moments where his hands were way low. But I still thought he won.

They're all novices, less than 10 fights. But theres videos of all of them sparring in here a few pages ago. They're coming along nicely and some of the USA Boxing officials gave them high praise for the efforts.

Hagen's most recent fight. He followed the gameplan I gave him almost to a T:

Btw i wanted to ask you guys in states teach "russian hook" to people? (Knuckles pointing in at you)

I was taught to throw hooks this way back in teenage years but heard they dont really do that in west.

I do, its uncommon

Btw i wanted to ask you guys in states teach "russian hook" to people? (Knuckles pointing in at you)

I was taught to throw hooks this way back in teenage years but heard they dont really do that in west.

I don’t think that this variant should be called the “Russian hook”, since in fact it is an option from old-school UK boxing. At least, those English coaches with whom I spoke, knew this variant and widely used it in the training of their fighters. IMHO, it the safest way to punch hook by bare hands with minimal risk of "thumb casualty" :):

The well-known trainer for "reality-based" self-defense and former bouncer John "Awesome" Anderson (he's from Coventry, IIRC) advocates the very same method:

@AndyMaBobs As a Londoner :), do you familiar with such fist positioning in hooks, bro?

Last edited:
@Dexter
I always thought of the russian/cuban hook as a downwards hook like the one GGG hit opponents with from above.
I will post an example in the cuban thread.

I don’t think that this variant should be called the “Russian hook”, since in fact it is an option from old-school UK boxing. At least, those English coaches with whom I spoke, knew this variant and widely used it in the training of their fighters. IMHO, it the safest way to punch hook by bare hands with minimal risk of "thumb casualty" :):

The well-known trainer for "reality-based" self-defense and former bouncer John "Awesome" Anderson (he's from Coventry, IIRC) advocates the very same method:

@AndyMaBobs As a Londoner :), do you familiar with such fist positioning in hooks, bro?

I called it russian hook simply because they call it that here.

In russia they actually call it "soviet hook" because during soviet days it was popular to teach hooks that way.

It's as old as bare knuckle boxing. I doubt anyone knows the true origin. It's sort of gifted to the former USSR because they revived it and arguably perfected it.

I called it russian hook simply because they call it that here.

In russia they actually call it "soviet hook" because during soviet days it was popular to teach hooks that way.

I've never heard such a term :), so the origin of it is interesting.
IIRC, you are from S-Petersburg? Who was your coach/what gym?

I've never heard such a term :), so the origin of it is interesting.
IIRC, you are from S-Petersburg? Who was your coach/what gym?

Советский they used to say.

Im not russian i used to live in st pete though and can speak russian.

I dont think its an official term, its just ex cccp and russians who i trained with all said soviet style hooks lol

I've always known the hook taught with the thumb up, but I was also learning in the age of the internet, but there aren't any guys I can think of that I personally know who do the palm facing down hook.

Hey @Sinister long time, I've a long winded question/comment for ya:

I've been thinking about how defensive priorities change for bareknuckle boxing and the handicap big gloves have instilled into fighters. Do you have any suggestions on how a system of defense should be adjusted in the context of bare hands but also just good defensive habits?

I ask this with the foresight that I assume not much would change in your style of coaching. As I think you focus on the correct fundamentals with your fighters and students (feet first, proper stance, head positioning, etc.). I think most trainers are seriously lacking how to instill this in their fighters though; the correct training methodology.

I haven't been training seriously in the last 3 years due to work and career things becoming a priority. I'm looking to get back into it now and I'm looking to change gyms so it's something I'm really trying to be aware of now. I spent years having the high guard drilled into me for Muay Thai and it's something I have a hard time getting away from. I see the benefits of using things like parries, head movement and footwork to be the things to focus on and I've had success with it.

Maybe I'm overthinking it but at this point I feel like a martial artist who has to still account for the fact that I'll be defaulting to the high guard regularly as a matter of comfort and muscle memory.

Last edited:
Hey @Sinister long time, I've a long winded question/comment for ya:

I've been thinking about how defensive priorities change for bareknuckle boxing and the handicap big gloves have instilled into fighters. Do you have any suggestions on how a system of defense should be adjusted in the context of bare hands but also just good defensive habits?

I ask this with the foresight that I assume not much would change in your style of coaching. As I think you focus on the correct fundamentals with your fighters and students (feet first, proper stance, head positioning, etc.). I think most trainers are seriously lacking how to instill this in their fighters though; the correct training methodology.

I haven't been training seriously in the last 3 years due to work and career things becoming a priority. I'm looking to get back into it now and I'm looking to change gyms so it's something I'm really trying to be aware of now. I spent years having the high guard drilled into me for Muay Thai and it's something I have a hard time getting away from. I see the benefits of using things like parries, head movement and footwork to be the things to focus on and I've had success with it.

Maybe I'm overthinking it but at this point I feel like a martial artist who has to still account for the fact that I'll be defaulting to the high guard regularly as a matter of comfort and muscle memory.

My top priority for defense is control of distance. I always tell my students: if you are controlling how close or far the other guy is, you have the highest chance of winning. If he is controlling it, he does. Everything else tends to be a way to manage distance, stance, head movement, footwork...you're either trying to make space, take space, or maintain critical distance (the point where you can land on them but they cannot easily land on you).

I hear the word "distance" thrown around gyms quite a bit. But I never really hear it taught as a core principal of defense save for some roundabout way. Like if the trainer wants them to hit and run, or pressure pressure pressure. As an example, check out Frazier/Foreman. George uses Sandy Saddler's old tactic (also a tall fighter) to actually PUSH Joe back as if to say: "No no, you stay over there."

Once Joe resolves to start his offense from a few inches too far away, he's as harmless as a kitten:

My top priority for defense is control of distance. I always tell my students: if you are controlling how close or far the other guy is, you have the highest chance of winning. If he is controlling it, he does. Everything else tends to be a way to manage distance, stance, head movement, footwork...you're either trying to make space, take space, or maintain critical distance (the point where you can land on them but they cannot easily land on you).

I hear the word "distance" thrown around gyms quite a bit. But I never really hear it taught as a core principal of defense save for some roundabout way. Like if the trainer wants them to hit and run, or pressure pressure pressure. As an example, check out Frazier/Foreman. George uses Sandy Saddler's old tactic (also a tall fighter) to actually PUSH Joe back as if to say: "No no, you stay over there."

Once Joe resolves to start his offense from a few inches too far away, he's as harmless as a kitten:

Great reminder on what to prioritize, and that's the missing piece I always get doubtful about. Any more fights you could recommend? I love that distance making push, I think it's an underrated tool even if you're shorter. Also gets me thinking about how important it is to use the jab for controlling the distance of your guy, how it ties with your feet and even using it to push and control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back