what would be ur strategy against someone w/ james irvin standup abilities

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I am just curious what some of the more well rounded, experienced strikers would do or what strategy they would come up w/if they fought someone w/irvin's blend of athleticism ( handspeed, mobility, footspeed, explosiveness, reflexes, timing), power, and muay thai standup style, with unorthodox striking approach.
This is just a post to get a feel for people's strategies, abilities, etc

try and knock him out by doin stuff better than him ?

take him down, after UFC 55 it's obvious his take down defense is suspect. He was taken down repeatedly and got grounded & Pounded

press him against a cage and hit him. honestly i havent seen enough of his standup to judge his stlye or where he is at.

Fake the takedown, making him react, fake a striking counter, then take him down for reals. G&P. Martin had him beat that whole first period.

As far as striking on your feet, who knows. Didn't get to see enough of it from him, he got taken down so fast in the first and then threw one flying knee in the second.

Pale1 said:
take him down, after UFC 55 it's obvious his take down defense is suspect. He was taken down repeatedly and got grounded & Pounded

He really didn't get pounded.

He kept dropping his hands in the Kyle fight, I'd say take the opening he gives.

the purpose of this is just to get a better sense of people's styles, strengths, skillsets and approaches...

With someone like irvin he drops his hands because he has really good timing..reflexes.. and mobility; he feels that he can quickly counter or get out of the way and either ko u w/one shot or overwhelm u w/strikes. He has ko power...and almost world class speed/ explosiveness as shown in his last fight.

seeing as i don't have comparable speed, i would use alot of movement..head/upper body movement and control the distance...in and out/circle, an stick the jab..use lead rights... to get him to keep him from being able to open up on me. As long as i move and stick he can't do anything more than fire back w/ one or two shots cus i am not standing still. I think i could eke out a decision by getting him out of his gameplan; an not walking into his power and trying to impose my will on him, i would move and blunt his off by not getting into exchanges and giving him diff looks/angles.

being as he fought mostly hw i don't think he is comfortable w/movement and someone who has the size ability to not just cone straight in and is willing to be more strategic...

his chin is suspect any heavy could have koed him...the problem is w/his timing and speed he can roll or pull away from a shot and not get hit clean; factor that in w/the fact that most hw don't have clean tech, he is not really taking pin point shots..esp at the level of comp he faces.

kyle had the power...and the speed/exp to land the shot..take adv of irvin's unorthodox approach; an he had the tech..that punch was not pic perfect, but it was crisp and sharp

devante said:
I am just curious what some of the more well rounded, experienced strikers would do or what strategy they would come up w/if they fought someone w/irvin's blend of athleticism ( handspeed, mobility, footspeed, explosiveness, reflexes, timing), power, and muay thai standup style, with unorthodox striking approach.
This is just a post to get a feel for people's strategies, abilities, etc

I, personally, would run. :D

Back