What will Dustin’s game plan be against Conor?

Early clinching and defensive boxing with wrestling incorporated slightly later into more aggressive boxing with aggresive wrestling secondary later
Considering how talked about the kicks were I would imagine they would expect Connor to focus his defensive strategy on that aspect, and in turn inplement a more wrestle heavy strategy

Dustin just needs to extend the fight for a bit. That’s the gameplan that almost every fighter will adopt against Conor until he starts to prove them wrong. I don’t see Dustin having to do any major changes to the strategy. He’s shown that at this weight class his chin holds up better. Dustin wins if the fight gets ugly because he’s been through those wars and seems to get better as the rounds go on. However, even if the fight remains a technical one, I think Dustin still wins just based on the fact that he has more tools to work with.

If I’m Conor, I’m just going full speed ahead, trying to put Dustin away early. I just don’t see the same pop in Conors hands anymore.

All the talk of the leg kicks

The right hook counter to Connors straight left was the bigger tool in that fight Porier used most effectively

The focus on leg kicks by the media and fans is just a narrative created to attempt to say that Conor is the supposed best striker in the sport with the best hands. Better for his image to say that he lost because of leg kicks instead of Dustin just being the better fighter and knocking him out cold.

I think this time he will play a bit safer becasue of that trilogy is very important...Maybe he is eyeing a 50-45 or make Conor tired and finish him in the later rounds due to Conor s weak cardio
I figure this is what he will do. Just focus on not getting caught for 2 rounds then 3,4,5 will deliver a very tired McGregor.

what should Dustin do different this time to maximize his potential success?

If it ain't broke don't fix it, It's on Conor to prove he's prepared for the things that took him out the first time. Dustin as a full all around game where he can adjust if something is not working, Conor not so much other than a left hand we ain't seen in awhile.

He should do the same thing as last time. Just hit him with light-medium/medium stuff, don't go for the kill real early, and take him apart as he fades/accumulates damage.

So Conor will obviously work on checking/avoiding kicks and will be prepared for the signature ATT calf kick from Poirier.

But of course, focusing on defending these means a (albeit small) change in fighting style, which in turn means you will be more vulnerable to different attacks.

what should Dustin do different this time to maximize his potential success?
This fight will be wrestling against the cage and takedowns, tire him out

Honestly, I think Conor comes out faster than ever, as between Conor and Dustin, Conor will gas and slow down considerably faster than Dustin. He pretty much has to go for broke and aim for a first or second round KO. Conor pacing himself for 5 rounds would allow Dustin to pressure him. Dustin is the superior 5 round fighter. Heck Dustin is probably the better 3 round fighter. If a fight was 1-2 rounds, Conor would do better.

Dustin should implement grappling and feint with leg kicks, and instead kick to the body/head. Then go back to the leg kicks. Trick Conor. Let Conor gas his arms out. Pressure Conor, move forward, but stay defensive as Conor can KO anyone in the division in the first round.

I can also see Conor being timid as he was KO'd by Dustin 6 months ago. And I definately see him constantly trying to check leg kicks, hopefully Dustin doesn't go for leg kicks without throwing some feints.

It's a 5 round fight, but no way it goes past the third round. Both will go for the kill when they smell blood, and both have the power to KO the other.

Most likely the same game plan he used in the rematch. Grappling/clinching first round to try and burn out Conor's cardio/conditioning and employ leg/calf kicks and counter Conor's combinations. Step into the pocket when he's hurt or tired and try to finish him again. Conor was never a leg checking type of fighter, won't be muscle memory for Conor. Just keep kicking his leg and throwing combinations and his instincts and muscle memory should kick in and he'll go back to the stance he's used to the most. Which is the stance that is susceptible to leg/calf kicks. He'll go back into that stance trying to focus on offense if he starts taking damage because he will want to try and end the fight instead of just trying to defend and take damage. That's when he'll be open to attacks. Basically what happened to him in round 2 once he hurt his leg, he got desperate and went hard trying to go for a KO before he was finished.

Dustin really doesn't have to change anything, it's Conor that has to make significant changes to win. New combos, new stance, new movement and footwork, new leg checking defense, better cardio/conditioning, inside boxing game, better boxing defense, etc.

to put conor to sleep again.

UFC-264-Conor-McGregor-vs-Dustin-Poirier-3-rematch-1.jpg
And he has the nerve to call people "bums". Meanwhile, finds it completely acceptable to take naps while at work. What a bum.o_O

Well Dustin is going to show up sober.

Conor will likely be all coked up and drunk.

Maybe Poirier should switch to body kicks if Conor is training to counter or check the calf kick.

He shot for a TD pretty quickly the last time, and got it. Seems like a good idea, given conors gas tank when grappling.

Back