What to do when "invited" into somebody's guard???

lol, if a female is inviting you into her guard, disregard everything i just typed and pursue a different strategy

Colinm...Here's another one.... a variation on that last one with the "reverse knee on belly" move. once you are in reverse knee on belly, just go to the reverse top mount position. now you are reverse mounted on him. he has no real options... keep your head tilted foward to avoid rnc. now you can go for a double or single knee bar or inside toe hold.

use your head right... play it smart and pass it... I would say last resort is leg-lock... no offense but I don't find it exciting to go for leg locks... would rather lose a fight to a choke then win one with a leg lock..

S.D.Force said:
We see many times in tournament play, where a person will either sit down, or be down and just try to "invite" the opponent down into his guard. Question is, what do you do? What is the best approach? Should you go for the leg lock because the leg is right there? Should you try to set up some kind of pass?

In general what is the higher percentage move, pass attempt, or leg lock (as opposed to just going into his guard).

And what techniques do you think work the best in that situation? Assuming you want to engage the person in that way, and not just continue to stand and avoid the guard.

cart wheel pass or misty flip pass with one of your arms on there shin or knee when I do it am garunteed at least half gaurd

any available lock on his ankle's or legs, if promitted. If not, i TRY and get in by using my knees to keep his legs down thewn go for a mount....if that fails use a cartwheel :)sweeeeeeep

If it's a close butterfly try rolling to the sideguard. not sure how to exactly explain this one.
-Jon

P.S. i'm a n00B don't listen to me!

colinm said:
lol, if a female is inviting you into her guard, disregard everything i just typed and pursue a different strategy
HAHAHHA :icon_lol:

if it is for a mma match and im standind ill will throw kicks to the thigh/butt area until there legs start to weaken (u have to kick in certain spots of the legs where the is a lot of nerves cuz they will feel the pain more then i will try to pass gaurd

S.D.Force said:
actually, just to clarify, i was referring to a NO-Gi situation. This is all i really do.

Referring to the above post, I've always thought that would be an interesting situation. If the guy just drops down into his own sitting guard to try to bait the other guy up from his butt and into his guard.

What i see a lot of is people just dropping down into the guys guard, without really having a strategy for an immediate pass, or a leg lock.

by the way, the "knee drag" going to a knee on belly would probably be a good idea. I'll have to try that one.
oh sorry i see i put in a mma situation instead of a nogi grap tournament then i will proly go into there gaurd cuz im actually really relaxed when im in someones gaurd position cuz i will make it hard for them until they break closed gaurd(like forearm chokes or leaning all my body weight into there upper body to disrupt there breathe)then i will try to go to side control

Grab one of there legs and spin them in a circle, if they invite you to guard again, spin them again until they get dizzy then submit them

Cartwheel guard pass or cross arm handstand pass to n/s position.

Back