what submissions are allowed in judo

Andre Xiong

Silver Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
judo is known for its throws, what are some submissions that are judo-based/allowed in judo.
I've been taking a judo class and just want to know so i know what NOT to do

Pretty much everything in BJJ but leglocks. There are some little differences, like no crossfacing, but you should just ask.

I thought judo tournaments also don't allow shoulder locks like omoplatas and kimuras.

See http://judoinfo.com/penalty.htm
25) To apply Kansetsu-waza anywhere other than to the elbow joint.​
Kansetsu-waza is defined as a "technique of locking limb joints".

Kimura came from freaking Judo, that have to be allowed or am I wrong? I thought I read on this forum once that you werent alowed to do the "chicken wing" variation of the kimura? How is it?

Aesopian said:
I thought judo tournaments also don't allow shoulder locks like omoplatas and kimuras.

Not sure, but Ude Garami is a keylock. It can be done like Americana or like a Kimura.

Ude garami, or bent arm lock, can be done many ways and from different positions in Kodokan Judo. The opponent's arm can be bent upwards towards the head or down towards the legs.

Also, an imporant difference is that you can do this in BJJ:
16) To take the Judogi in the mouth. (either his own or his opponent​

I know the ude garami is done both ways in judo, but I've heard some junk like "You have to use it to attack the elbow for it to be legal". Same goes with the omoplata.

Just spotted some more:
19) To apply Shime-waza using the bottom of the jacket or belt, or using only the fingers.​
You can use your the bottom of jacket to choke and do all sorts of stuff in BJJ, and it's actually getting pretty popular.

This goes along with all the guard passes, sweeps, escapes, etc. you can do in BJJ with the gi, which judo forbids:
15) To encircle the end of the belt or jacket around any part of the opponent's body. The act of "encircling" means that the belt or jacket must completely encircle. Using the belt or jacket as an "anchor" for a grip (without encircling), e.g. to trap the opponent's arm, should not be penalised.​

Aesopian said:

You can do omoplata, modify the technique just a bit to crank the elbow. Kimura is totally allowed, and key lock. You can choke just like in bjj.

Stay away from the legs for submissions, but you can crank the legs and ankles and such, to a certain extent (about like folk-style wrestling) in order to gain positioning.

Becareful of certain grips: cross grips (standing) can only be held briefly, no pistol grips, etc.

We have a bjjer rolling with us at our school every now and then, and he was told that he could go for his leg locks, but to be careful not to break anyone. :)

Aesopian said:

You slide the Uke's elbow toward their belt/waist in order to put torque on the elbow joint. This is what makes it legal in competition. It has to be locked in airtight in order to get the desired effect.

It's easier to just whip the arm around and chicken wing them in the shoulder lock variation, but it's not legal in judo.

I don't care about the ude garami, but judo cannot be considered a complete grappling art without gi biting and jacket chokes.

If you're serious, then it sucks that you think that.

I don't think gi biting is a fundemental part of groundwork.

Also - Don't turn this into Judo vs BJJ.

There's no point in me turning this into a BJJ vs Judo thread since BJJ so obviously wins.

Simply put, judo allows only chokes & arm locks to the shoulder or elblow joint. No wrist locks, any type of cranks, or leg submissions.

I have gotten submissions in judo to a body triangle, but I was trying to work a RNC & they tapped from the body lock before I got it in. It looks like they're tapping to the choke. It's "technically" not legal though.

Basically you cant do leg, knee, spinal, neck, shoulder & wrist locks/cranks. You can also not apply a choke across the face or jaw or use pressure points to get a submission.

As for kimuras/americanas/keylocks whatever you wanna call them - it is often hard to tell where the pressure is being applied so generally they are accepted unless it is really obvious the target is the shoulder.

Note that in a competition it is often hard to judge where the submission was gained. For example, if they turtle & defend by tucking their chin into their chest, seasoned competitors will hunch over & hide their actions so that if the lapel or arm goes across the face (illegal) then the ref wont see.... & if the ref (including the corner judges) cannot see & the guy taps from a "jawbreaker" - then he cannot rule it was illegal & therefore the submission stands (even if the other person complains).

So just because a technique is illegal doesnt mean it is never used.

Aesopian said:
There's no point in me turning this into a BJJ vs Judo thread since BJJ so obviously wins.
Thems fightin words....

I am suprised about what is actually allowed in judo, triangles, and armlocks and kimuras are all allowed and like someone else stated in this thread that if you modify the omoplata to the elbow, it can be used as well. Knee on belly can be used as can reverse triangles.

Aesopian said:
I don't care about the ude garami, but judo cannot be considered a complete grappling art without gi biting and jacket chokes.
Silly you. You can make the same argument that BJJ cannot be considered a complete grappling art without ample throws.

Back