What sub are you the best at defending?

Dedicado said:
What do you do, to escape the triangles?
slam him like jackson! no seriously though i usually just tand up and i guess its whats called stacking the other person till it loosens enough to escape. there are some guys whose triangles are just too tight though

Dedicado said:
What do you do, to escape the triangles?

First off, I'm familiar with most of the setups, so I know what to look for. If the leg does get on my shoulder, I put my hand there to pry it open, or I try to shrug it off using my elbows and shoulders.

But honestly, I'm stronger than nearly everyone at my size, so I usually just power out of them if they get them.

Ya, triangles are my achilles heel. But I hope getting more lower body strength via dead lifts will help me lift them up before they can sink it. Or getting to posture up out of it, this was recommended to me after I spent 2 minutes in the triangle at Tiger Balms, but your lower back has to be stronger than the guys leg for this to work well.

Sauron said:
I really do love escaping the armbar, sometimes they take it from side control and there i am thinking of my defence immediately. Even there are times when i let them get the armbar if it is sloppy so that i can get the superior position when i stack and escape to get the sidemount.

I know it's playing with fire and will not work against the better guys but it's still good to practice escaping regardless.

Heh I do the same thing and it works fine for me so far.

Killa_Cs said:
i guess its whats called stacking the other person till it loosens enough to escape.
you stack him to get out of a triangle? How's that work?

ClubberLange said:
you stack him to get out of a triangle? How's that work?

i've seen nonflexible newer guys give up a triangle after getting stacked, if they don't know to hip back or to the side.

as long as you realize it's happening right away you can usually just posture up strong with your back and neck, flex out with your sides/arms, follow his hip movement and turn it into a guard pass if he doesn't give it up. it's pretty tough to get caught in a straight up triangle from the guard, the only time i get tapped from one is when someone manages to slip one in during a sweep or coming from some other position and it's sunk in before i realize it.

Armbar escapes and chokes.
Gi training -Of course this is due to training with guys who are waaaay more experienced than I so, I end up in these situations more than I want to. The good thing is my defense improved by necessity since I hate tapping and I was doing it way too much (tapping that is). This forced me to work the counters so I am now pretty good at the chokes once I escape with good results.

Back