what stops UFC from promoting boxing?

I doubt this. It makes no sense to TRY and kill a sport that has a deep amateur program including while being part of the Olympics and also being a big part of many different cultures world wide as both a favored style of fighting and as a combat sport.

Only Sherdoggers would believe that UFC was trying to kill boxing. It is stupid and I doubt that a couple of successful billionaires would be idiotic enough to try and attempt this.
Ur right, boxing is killing itself. Look at those 2016 payouts.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/23/12512178/why-do-boxers-make-more-than-mma-fighters

"For boxing, the combined total amount paid from the 1,320 boxing purses was $228,291,452 with an individual purse average of $172,948. This is skewed more than a little by the enormous payouts Floyd Mayweather (who's reported purses were $100 million and $32 million for his two bouts in 2015) and Manny Pacquiao (who's reported purse was $25 million for his match against Mayweather) received. If you remove their three reported purses from last year (which totaled $157 million) then the combined total for the other 1,317 boxing purses was $71,291,452 which averages out to $54,132.

A more telling statistic than the mean average for what most boxers earn is the median average. The median average in 2015 for a boxer in our three states was $3,250.

For mixed martial arts the combined total of the 826 purses was $17,936,216 for a mean average of $21,714 per purse. The median average for MMA fighters was even lower than that of boxers, a meager $1,250."

"While it is readily apparent that most athletes from both sports make very little, with the mode being only $1,000, it appears as if MMA fighters on average are worse off than their boxing counterparts. Of the 1,320 boxing purses we looked at, 299 (or 23%) of them were for $1,000 or less, while of the 826 MMA fighter purses 400 (48%) were for $1,000 or less. Even though MMA fighters payouts made up only 38% of the total collected they were 57% of all prizefighters that were paid $1,000 or less on a bout.

The reverse was mostly true as well, with a much higher number of boxers occupying the very top of the pay ladder. Of the top 100 purses, those making $116,000 or more, 68 were paid to boxers. Of the 19 biggest purses, all were paid to boxers. The highest reported MMA purse was Anderson Silva and his $800,000 from UFC 183, which was tied with three boxers for 20th place on our list of highest paid purse."

What stops HBO from promoting MMA?

Christ boxing promotions can't even push their best fighters well, the UFC of late has become a disaster at pushing its own fighters outside of a couple....they won't do any better with sub top tier boxers.

Only a virgin basement dweller would say that it is inferior.

You do not hear others saying that Jujitsu or Muay Thai is inferior to MMA.

MMA would be nothing without any of these styles.
Mma would be fighting dude. U think no one ever applied a RNC before jiu jitsu was around?

It's arbitrary because from a fans perspective it doesn't make any difference what fighters are getting paid. You want to try and argue about money, but in the end the major boxing promotions aren't generating a fraction of the revenue that the UFC is.
Because they aren't even a quarter as big. Take the top 4 or 5 promotions of the last few years from across the world and I don't think it would be vastly different.

I'm a fan of boxing myself, but the "boxing money" argument is very arbitrary when the UFC just sold their business for 4.2 billion dollars.

Also UFC fighters are starting to get paid a lot more these days. McGregor is going to be the highest paid combat sports athlete of 2016.

And the p4p #1 in each sport get paid basically the same. Chocolatito (#1 P4P Boxing) cleared $400K in his last fight. And Mighty Mouse cleared $350K (Disclosed pay not including sponsorship or other bonuses)

That is true, but you cant really use Conor, that is the equivalent of Floyd to a certain level, he outsells everyone and gets paid more than everyone, but some top boxers also make millions, while in the UFC he is in a league of his own, where only fighting him pays in the millions range.

Only a virgin basement dweller would say that it is inferior.

You do not hear others saying that Jujitsu or Muay Thai is inferior to MMA.

MMA would be nothing without any of these styles.

Only a complete fucking moron would argue that boxing is better than MMA. lol

I was obsessed with boxing my entire life. MMA is the greatest sport in the world and nothing comes close.

Boxer already have an outlet, why would they want the UFC to hoover up 80% of the revenue...

After that last PPV, I doubt that he can command the same kind of "to show" pay.

You'd be incorrect then as that Golovkin fight which drew 150,000 buys was against David Lemieux last fall. Golovkin's guaranteed purse for that fight was $2 million;

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/...llion-lemieux-1-5-million-hbo-ppv-boxing-news

Golovkin's next fight after that was against a no-hoper in Domenic Wade on regular HBO in which Golovkin received the same $2 million guarantee;

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/2...kin-2-million-dominic-wade-500000-boxing-news

In Golovkin's latest fight against Kell Brook sources claim that he was getting a $5 million guaranteed purse, although considering it took place overseas it wouldn't have been released from an athletic commission;

http://www.totalsportek.com/boxing/golovkin-vs-brook-purse-payout/

https://www.rt.com/sport/358670-brook-golovkin-preview/

"Both fighters recently treated fans to an open training session in Covent Garden, are expected to earn a career-high $5 million from the bout, with tickets selling out in just 11 minutes when they went on sale in July."

As for the thread title, the UFC is fighting against the restructuring of the Ali Act to include their sport and all that it entails, so I'm not sure why they'd want to jump into a sport that already has that federal law in place.

I almost forgot how close Mosley was to taking Floyd out. Thanks, dude who posted Floyd stunned youtube.

Because as stupid and uneducated as boxers as boxers generally are, even they're not stupid and naive enough to fight for Reebok money and Haribo backroom bonuses.

MMA fighters are what they call in pro wrestling marks.

It's arbitrary because from a fans perspective it doesn't make any difference what fighters are getting paid. You want to try and argue about money, but in the end the major boxing promotions aren't generating a fraction of the revenue that the UFC is.

It's not arbitrary for the point you were originally responding to. Most boxers would never want to fight under the kind of model the UFC has where they'd see far less of the revenue that they generate. Boxing promoters, on the other hand, would love to have something similar to the UFC (of course, there have been things in boxing which were vaguely similar to the UFC like the International Boxing Club of New York which was considered to be a monopoly and broken up under anti-trust laws). The Ali Act would also necessarily prohibit the existence of something like the UFC in boxing, and if the UFC started promoting boxing, it would perhaps give even more justification for the movement that wants to apply the Ali Act or something like it to MMA.

Hell, it's not even necessarily irrelevant from a fan's perspective. It might not stop me from watching the sport, but I'd rather fighters not get pimped and swindled by their promoters.

Just imagine interrupting an MMA event so two dudes in dorky shoes with their shiny shorts pulled up to their armpits can swat at each other with big poofy pillows for a million rounds.

tuimma.gif

No thanks.

Boxing has a whole different set of laws governing it.

And right as we speak Al Haymon is being sued by Golden Boy and Top Rank for running the PBC like a league.

You'd be incorrect then as that Golovkin fight which drew 150,000 buys was against David Lemieux last fall. Golovkin's guaranteed purse for that fight was $2 million;

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/...llion-lemieux-1-5-million-hbo-ppv-boxing-news

Golovkin's next fight after that was against a no-hoper in Domenic Wade on regular HBO in which Golovkin received the same $2 million guarantee;

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/2...kin-2-million-dominic-wade-500000-boxing-news

In Golovkin's latest fight against Kell Brook sources claim that he was getting a $5 million guaranteed purse, although considering it took place overseas it wouldn't have been released from an athletic commission;

http://www.totalsportek.com/boxing/golovkin-vs-brook-purse-payout/

https://www.rt.com/sport/358670-brook-golovkin-preview/

"Both fighters recently treated fans to an open training session in Covent Garden, are expected to earn a career-high $5 million from the bout, with tickets selling out in just 11 minutes when they went on sale in July."
Good Lord...

anybody with some money can apply for a boxing promotors license

UFC could start a jiu jitsu league, kickboxing tournament, whatever they want really but they chose to stick to MMA

Back