What should Reyes do in the rematch?

He won 3 rounds and outstruck Jones. Short of koing him I don’t think anybody will ever beat Jones in a decision.

I dont think Reyes wins the rematch. Go back to Jons two rematches in the UFC. Finished DC in the 3rd, and had his way with Gus before finishing him. Hate the guy all you want, he learns from his mistakes.

If Reyes tries to coast through the first two rounds Jon will start putting it on him. "Clinch and attempt takedowns" you really think trying to Clinch with Jon is the smart thing to do? Brawl in a rock'em sock'em exchange? He already tried that and gassed 2.5 rounds in.

People seem to think Santos and Reyes are going to get rematches and wreck Jon - I see him running through both in a rematch.
Pretty much agreed. Love him or hate him, Jones adjusts to his opponents extremely well and has solutions in rematches for his difficulties in the initial fights. The same is true for DJ, barring the Cejudo rematch. That also brings up a point though; When you look at DJ's opponents rematches before Cejudo, they were against opponents who were more or less established and didn't have any significant evolution to their game between the fights (McCall, Benavidez, Dodson). Cejudo improved leaps and bounds from the first fight to the second because he was still young in his career and had many improvements to make. This could potentially be applied to Jones' opponents. Gus and DC were more or less done evolving when they first fought Jones (you could say Gus regressed), and I'm not optimistic Santos is going to evolve much further either. But Reyes, he has the potential to experience an evolution on the level of Cejudo, especially since he just had his first real big fight experience against Jones. Lots to learn from there.

BUT I would definitely favor Jones in an immediate rematch just because I can't just expect that kind of evolution without seeing it in practice. Cejudo had a couple fights in between to showcase his improvements. An immediate rematch might not be in Reyes' best interest. It's always a tricky situation because you kinda want to strike while the iron is hot and and your momentum is still good, but if if you lose then good luck getting another title shot for a while. It's also good to test out your improvements in non-championship level contests, but if you happen to lose that then your quest for a rematch gets longer.

Leverage his newfound star power into a microdosing ped exemption and pulse all the way to the title. He already showed he's the better fighter, just needs to crank up that cardio.

I think Reyes will have to 50-45 Jones in order to win 48-47

Not leave it in the hands of the Judges. Its pretty clear, you have to either KO, or Sub jones to win. Decisions no matter how one sided, will always go in Juicy Jones favor.

takedown defense late in sparring

Use more leg kicks, as someone said before.
I think he should also learn Andy Hug's spinning low kicks. They could work great against Jones' skinny legs.

The exact same thing as last time, but in a different location with different judges.

"Las' time, ya ran like a scalded dog! We'll see how you do in da Omni in Atlanta!"--"The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes, AKA Virgil Runnels.

Do what he did in the 1st three rounds and than win one of the championship rounds. Or somehow knockout Jon Jones. Which is obviously easier said than done.

abandon the body punches, they did nothing . attack the legs more, not kicks in general

I had it 3-2 Reyes.....but told my friends that don't be surprised if Jones gets the nod for them takedowns and finishing stronger in the 5th round. With that said, can Reyes ever get a decision over Jones or will it have to be a clear KO/TKO?

I think in the rematch he needs to do the following:

* Coast through rounds 1 and 2 and save up for the championship rounds

* Clinch and attempt takedowns (even if it doesn't work, judges will see aggression and control attempt)

* Leg kicks, leg kicks, fuckin' leg kicks

* fuck it, go brawl out and rock em sock em exchange

I'm taking Reyes in the rematch...

He doesn’t necessarily have to do anything different. 75% of the time that exact performance would get him the nod from the judges. He won 3 rounds in the majority of people’s eyes.

Working his conditioning like a maniac couldn’t hurt though. He did run out of gas in the championship rounds.

Back