What should be done to fix Social Security?

And what a coincidence, the taxes responsible for people not having enough wages to save from happen to be the very same thing that rewards idiots! Who could have known?

There are few things I have encountered in political discussion quite as ignorant as the belief that the minuscule amount the working poor pay in federal taxes would provide them with a secure retirement were they allowed to keep a larger percentage of it. It's beyond laughable.

gov contractors aren't on the FED pay scale, and aren't directly paid by taxpayers

not sure what you're talking about here.

You're not really trying to pretend that means you're not on the government's payroll?

If the government doesn't pay your employer, your employer doesn't pay you. You're on the government's dime. The money for your employment comes from the government. Why dissemble? I've been on the gov't dime via contract work myself (it pays well and you don't have to worry about if they'll pay)...I just don't pretend otherwise.

What about them?

why should I have to fund your medical problem? if you're disabled, then you should be applying for and receiving SDI like all the mooches I see in my town that don't work and are 'disabled' (aka fat).
I am simply making the point that there are things that can happen that are out of your control that can impact your retirement. You're refusing to even admit that basic truth, so it really isn't worth going further.

And we get it, you're a heartless dude with no sense of participation in society. It's ok, you're allowed to, but you better hope none of those things happen to you.

And if you are far later in life then you're a bit daft to have your assets in highly volatile markets. Stupid move.
Even in steady markets you can get crushed in a severe recession.

You're not really trying to pretend that means you're not on the government's payroll?

If the government doesn't pay your employer, your employer doesn't pay you. You're on the government's dime. The money for your employment comes from the government. Why dissemble? I've been on the gov't dime via contract work myself (it pays well and you don't have to worry about if they'll pay)...I just don't pretend otherwise.
no my dude, I AM A FEDERAL EMPLOYEE, straight up, not a contractor

But contractors aren't the same, largely due to benefits. Yes they are paid by their company that gets funding from the government, but it's not directly from the government and thus nowhere near the same benefits package or pension or most importantly job security as they tend to have term limits

for example, contractors can't shop at the Commissary, or buy tobacco or alcohol on base. Which is a big deal, b/c base won't implement the $2 tax on all tobaccos products that Cali is implementing in a few months, I can buy those things but they can't

I am simply making the point that there are things that can happen that are out of your control that can impact your retirement. You're refusing to even admit that basic truth, so it really isn't worth going further.

And we get it, you're a heartless dude with no sense of participation in society. It's ok, you're allowed to, but you better hope none of those things happen to you.
I participate in society quite nicely, my literal job is helping military people transition into civilian life and preventing any problems assimilating.

Particpating in society, and wholeheartedly funding large demographics of it for doing literally nothing are two different things

you're moving the goalposts now, who the fucks works in sub-Saharan Africa that isn't a gov employee or a non profit?

cmon son

I'm not moving any goalposts. From the beginning, the point I made was that the value you extract from laboring (or owning capital) greatly exceeds your contributions. That applies to almost everyone.

As someone has already said; the fix was to not allow the government to remove any money from social security. Furthermore, the money isn't a government handout because it's being deducted out of our paycheck.

Some of you guys have it all wrong. You guys shouldn't be mad that there is an option to pay money in advance towards retirement, but more so because you don't have the option to opt'd out and that they are trying to increase the age to 70. And the fact that the government is stealing our money and using it for other pet projects, like war funding and tax cuts which will never be paid back.

no my dude, I AM A FEDERAL EMPLOYEE, straight up, not a contractor

But contractors aren't the same, largely due to benefits. Yes they are paid by their company that gets funding from the government, but it's not directly from the government and thus nowhere near the same benefits package or pension or most importantly job security as they tend to have term limits

for example, contractors can't shop at the Commissary, or buy tobacco or alcohol on base. Which is a big deal, b/c base won't implement the $2 tax on all tobaccos products that Cali is implementing in a few months, I can buy those things but they can't

You realize that government contractors come in lots of forms and some of them can shop at commissary and that some federal employees can't.

Anyhoo, you're a government employee and have been most of your adult life. That's fine, it just means that your understanding of private sector realities isn't based on actual experience. The government is a wonderful nanny.

Markets are at an all time high. If you had some level of diversification and didn't put your cash under your mattress in 2009 you should be more than fine.

What's funny is that in a recent poll, 32% of GOP voters believed that the stock market had gone DOWN over the course of the two term Obama administration.

In fact, Obama has overseen one of the most booming periods in the whole of US market history.

Barack Obama: Worst. Marxist. Ever.

FOREIGN201605251404000009932705325.jpg

I never said I was against SS, just I'd like to opt out of it. At least people have to work and contribute towards it to receive it (barring a death and dependents getting SSI or some shit), like UI, I have no problem with that.

I just don't like that's MANDATORY, if it was optional it would be awesome

You realize that government contractors come in lots of forms and some of them can shop at commissary and that some federal employees can't.

Anyhoo, you're a government employee and have been most of your adult life. That's fine, it just means that your understanding of private sector realities isn't based on actual experience. The government is a wonderful nanny.
most federal employees can't shop at the commissary, NO Contractors can. Not on an Army/USMC base. You HAVE to have a valid Active Duty/Reserve Military ID (not a CAC card, a Military ID) to shop at the commissary, at least for CONUS duty stations (they have some exceptions for OCONUS)
In fact the only reason I can go to the commissary and buy cigarettes is I'm still technically in the Reserves for another month

I never said I was against SS, just I'd like to opt out of it. At least people have to work and contribute towards it to receive it (barring a death and dependents getting SSI or some shit), like UI, I have no problem with that.

I just don't like that's MANDATORY, if it was optional it would be awesome

If enough people opted out--and it wouldn't take many--the system would collapse. Plus, the ones who opted out would still need aid in large numbers when they get older, and we'd either have to tolerate more destitute old people or we'd have more young people helping them directly.

how do you know those that opt out would need aid?

that's an absurd statement

what about retired military/law enforcement?

don't teachers not pay into SS? or am I wrong w/ that?

edit: I thought in Cali, they paid into CalPers instead of SS, correct me if I'm wrong

Back