What Rules do you Roll to in the Academy and Why??

we are pretty liberal here just no heel hooks or joint locks. we practice some chokes, but not allowed to do in sparring catch a release

Not much beyond don't hurt yr training partners/be safe and have fun. Straight ankle locks only at white.

Ok. So we do higher rules applies.

We follow ibjjf rules.

Gi for winter and autom.

For spring and summer, we dabble in nogi because it is nogi competition time.

We still follow ibjjf rules.

I don't see the need to do HH.

I teach it and explain why we don't it .

I am old school that way.

The day, someone wants to prepare for an event that allows HH. Then we specifically train for it.

But I have relationship with specific gym that do MMA up our road and would happily direct them to a more suitable camp .

No drama.

My old judo club rules were noob WBs did not randori together, was safer to put them with senior kyus and dan grades to protect them from themselves....senior guys usually had all their ego beaten out of them by that time too.

Pretty much IBJJF rules for Gi and everything for No Gi. Curious if anyone here trains heel hooks in the gi.

Wrestling scrimmaging is agreed upon before hand (ie Greco or freestyle).

In judo we agree beforehand on whether to allow leg grabs/touches (old school) or not - most of the older guys (ie 25+) still agree to use leg grabs, including one guy who started here, moved away and now competes internationally, but comes back regularly to visit his folks - his best throw as a kid was kata-guruma, and he loves being able to use it in randori. The younger guys go by current rules, and I'm afraid most of them couldn't defend against any kind of leg grab (morote gari, kata guruma etc) if their life depended upon it.

The BJJ instructor who teaches a ne-waza class for us sometimes has them use BJJ rules (including leg locks), sometimes not - I think when judo tournaments are coming up he tends to stick to judo rules, otherwise BJJ rules.

Basically, its on a person to person, agree upon the rules before hand (though of course, guys end up rolling/randori with the same people all the time, so they just assume it'll be the same rules as they usually use).

We do ibjjf rules pretty much, and whenever two people are rolling, the rule set of the lower ranked player is used.

Pretty much IBJJF rules for Gi and everything for No Gi. Curious if anyone here trains heel hooks in the gi.

I train heel hooks in the gi with some of my partners, but not greenhorns. It's pretty fun because from an offensive point of view it's a lot harder for uke to clear the knee line when tori can hold onto uke's pant leg, but from a defensive point of view the common entry into the saddle is a lot more difficult because uke can hold onto tori's lapel and turn it into a leg drag.

Sidenote: I'll reap white belts, but I only give them the cloverleaf. I'd hate to give them a bad taste in their mouth towards jiu jitsu by trying to explain what a reap is and why it is considered illegal by a tiny for profit ruling body. Ignorance is bliss.

White belt can only do (and you can only do to them) the straight ankle lock

After that every leg locks and slicers are legal

There's a big don't be a dumbass rule, for cranking armbars and kimuras but we go full throttle on the chokes

I can say that we don't have that much injuries due to submissions, people get more injured on takedowns than anything.

Judo randori/newaza - same as Olympic/modern day IJF rules
BJJ - just straight ankle locks and sometimes tapping early rather than getting injured. Chokes/Armlocks/straight ankle locks are allowed, wrist locks are cool, too.
no-gi - mostly everything

My old judo club rules were noob WBs did not randori together, was safer to put them with senior kyus and dan grades to protect them from themselves....senior guys usually had all their ego beaten out of them by that time too.
That's the way it should be. I hated going against a new WB (when I was also a WB) that outweighed me by 50+ lbs, and tried to force a throw that he didn't have. Awkward falls that didn't help either of us learn. The experienced guys just dominated me with no risk of injury.

That's the way it should be. I hated going against a new WB (when I was also a WB) that outweighed me by 50+ lbs, and tried to force a throw that he didn't have. Awkward falls that didn't help either of us learn. The experienced guys just dominated me with no risk of injury.

agree! an experienced person can throw you and save you at the same time

Awkward throws, akward falls, accidental punches to the nose grip fighting

I get that everyone starts somewhere...you just shouldn't be starting the same time and place as someone else.

I knew Coach trusted when he put me with the first day Randori guys.

agree! an experienced person can throw you and save you at the same time

Once I was told to throw an advanced belt with ogoshi...I did in "Judo Brown belt not kill uke, pull up at last second style" then to illustrate at point I was told by instructor to throw him for real shiai "throw to pin, pin to win style"....

After the big boom, instructor say that's why we breakfall, and that's why judo is a pillar of BJJ.

I was told to go full Judoka when standing with anyone Blue Belt and above during rolls. Most blues pulled guard to avoid getting tossed, the purps and up wanted to learn and stayed standing...till I pulled guard :) hey I need to work bottom.

We catch and release them. Don’t wait for a tap (unless against a high-level guy) and just keep rolling. We do this just keep people aware of them so they avoid situations where they could get caught.

Back