What really exelled your game?

Weonlywonsixtwo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now I'm out with an injury and I was wondering what really made your game fly? A quote? Article? Video? Figher?

Going to training, regularly.

Hey Weonly.. Thanks for your help in my Gi thread..

To answer your question, I regularly watch fight videos and instructionals.

Having a goal in mind. I really want to get a blue belt by the end of summer which will be about 1 and 1/4 or so years of training in BJJ. I also plan on competeting in next seasons submission wrestling league. I know they are distant, but they are things that make me want to go in there, learn more, wrestle more, and get in better shape. I have noticed an increase in my game since I started getting serious about the goals.

Goal/train all the time/ and compete.........just before you go to sleep, do the move of the day in your head perfactly so it sinks into your head. Competition videos have worked best for me, you see how moves work in real time, and you get to see different stradegys.

Watching the black belts train.

losing my first fight in november
god that really fucked me off
got my next comp in february
cant fucking wait

watching a bunch of instructionals and work the basics: Escapes, positioning, control, and base. Funny thing is my armbar and triangles are really coming around and I don't really practice it much. It just comes to you.

For me, it's finding a person to roll with regularly who is only slightly better than me. I have been working with this one guy now for a few weeks who I always feel I'm within an armslength of beating, but it never happens. It makes me push myself much harder than working with people who either are able to squash me or whom I'm able to squash.

Personally I think you get better when you are able to realize a person's weaknesses, and formulate a plan based around that.

im probably gonna get flamed 4 this , but wenever i smoke a joint and train my game jumps onto another level!

I started training with a gi on 60% of the time and it improved my gi and no-gi grappling tremendously!!! Also, occasional extra training with a friend helps. Finally, I agree with everyone who suggested regular practice; for both drills and rolling that's really important. Though this advice won't help you since you are injured; that sucks man and get better soon!

VTJas81 said:
watching a bunch of instructionals and work the basics: Escapes, positioning, control, and base. Funny thing is my armbar and triangles are really coming around and I don't really practice it much. It just comes to you.

Same here. I watch Judo and BJJ gi videos every chance I can and visualize moves and counters 24/7. When I get to class, I have new tricks up my sleeves and moves to try. Other than personal research, I've found that watching the black belts train is definetly enlightening (if you know how to "learn" by watching.")

training with the right people, the right mind set and going to comps.

Back