What really exelled your game?

I find that the biggest help in my game has come from regular training, listening and absorbing the smallest details of instruction, and most importantly...the spider gaurd :D

writing down the moves from every class and some notes on each has helped my game a lot. visualizing is also really good. i watch a lot of videos too. also, finding a partner to drill old moves with outside of class and experimenting with your own moves too.

I had about 30 classes and I felt myself stagnating.

Pedro Sauer came to our school, it was my first BJJ seminar. The way he explained grappling and not treating coming to class as "grappling sessions" but just coming to hang out with friends and practice technique really helped my game.

That and reading books/watching videos trying new things. Keeping a notebook.

But most of all, mat time and getting advice from eveybody I roll with.

Keeping a notebook for sure. That and adopting a better attitude.

Competing hard, then losing.

I've lost quite a few times, but in my most recent match, I was literally schooled. Only lost by points, but I don't think I had any offense in that match at all. I don't believe my opponent was better than I was at all. But he was clearly more prepared, and had a game plan in mind, wheras I did not. He successfully ruined my game plan right off the bat and never allowed me the chance to get back on track.

Made me realize, when you compete, you won't have a huge skill advantage. Everyone is essentially equal when it comes to competition, so it relies a lot on strategy. And when you go in against your equal, and you have no strategy, the opponent has an advantage.

Well I know beginners can't do this right away, but it's something to look forward to... I think getting your blue belt helps you excel. Cause I know I was good when I got my blue, but after I got it, I got this feeling of wanting to fulfill my blue. I wanted to learn more, pay attention more, compete harder to prove to myself that I was a legit blue. Just expressing what I think...

parallax86 said:
im probably gonna get flamed 4 this , but wenever i smoke a joint and train my game jumps onto another level!

I trained with BJ Penn and Dave Camerillo when we were blue and purple, the quote sounds like BJ

As soon as I started praticing drills every class I got submissions. Also, just being analytical about things. By that I mean recognizing were I have problems, where I'm getting stuck, weak points, etc.

I see so many super competitive guys rolling without much regard for technical improvement. They just want to get the win.

For me it's training with someone who is much better than me.

We recently had some visitors from another country come to the school. They were both really good. I had the pleasure of rolling with one of them.

He was a hard person to train with. Made you uncomfortable in EVERY position he had you in. He played the game the way it was originally intended. Make your opponent uncomfortable with pain.

This guy brought my side control game up to a new level after training with him. He was willing to teach me when I asked questions about it, and I never once bitched about the pain. Instead I wanted to know how he was applying so much pressure, and how he was gripping me to keep the side mount so tight and uncomfortable.

Up until this point I always though I had a decent side control, after training with him, I realized the little details I was missing, and I realized that in grappling, making your opponent feel discomfort is a VERY good thing

always training or sparring w/people who are 2-3 levels above me, i am not good or great; but it helped me improve greatly...

These may sound simple, but they virtually GUARANTEE that you will improve, no matter what level you're starting at:
1) Train more frequently. 1x/wk < 2x/wk < 3x/wk etc.
2) Train more intelligently. Take notes, think/breathe/dream BJJ, etc.
3) Train with people who are better than you. More experienced, stronger, heavier, faster, etc.

Specific Training or Focus training. If gaurd passing is your worst start sparring in someones gaurd and when you pass start again.

Back