What physical advantage would a boxer bring if...

For anyone who has done both sports, you will know that the cardio is completely different. A boxer might have great cardio in the ring but put him on the mat, and it's a different story

Cardio is cardio, there is no argument about it.

A good boxer will get tired, like all newbies get tired we are talking comparative advantage, over yoga and lifting so we have to assume its the same skill level.

Depends on the boxer, of course. But the guy who's training with us is explosive as hell, can change levels and cover distance very quickly, and has cardio and muscle endurance for days. His takedowns seems to benefit more than his groundwork, but that might just be me having sucky takedowns but decent groundwork.

Yeah, it probably depends. I was grappling with a boxer and was knee riding him to wear him out as he was very fast and explosive, but I was like "Wtf", cause he didnt slow down at all.

I was grappling with a boxer and was knee riding him to wear him out as he was very fast and explosive, but I was like "Wtf", cause he didnt slow down at all.
That sounds familiar :)

Yoga practitioners are more flexible than the average joe, but what they really bring to the table is balance.

They're used to putting themselves off balance, while remaining static. That greatly increases their stabilizing muscles, which makes them hard to sweep or escape mount from.

And the cardio for striking is completely different than what you need for grappling.

punch you in the face when you try to buttflop/pull guard.

I've been training Muay Thai for 10 years now, and BJJ for a little over 1 year. I'd say that the biggest advantage that I brought with me was not necessarily physical, but more mental. Being able to relax under pressure, not going into "fight or flight" mode during sparring, knowing how and when to conserve energy, and just generally being very comfortable in close quarters with somebody whose goal is to hurt you.

I think that years of hard sparring in any combat sport would give you an advantage over other beginners, just by being comfortable in a fight type situation.

Match walkout w/entourage.

justin_bieber_flyod_mayweather_ap.png

Match walkout w/entourage.

justin_bieber_flyod_mayweather_ap.png
Bieber is a blue belt so I'm pretty sure Floyd will be ready to deal with anything a good grappler might try against him.

I wonder what the line would be on Beiber in a gi vs Floyd with one glove?

Back