What physical advantage would a boxer bring if...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I always hear how, if a dedicated yoga practioner started grappling, they would have an flexiblity advantage or if a strongman started grappling, they would possess a powerful grip and strength advantage.

What about a boxer who decided to learn grappling? What kind of physical attributes would they bring to the table that gives them an advantage over other beginners with no specific sports background?

I always hear how, if a dedicated yoga practioner started grappling, they would have an flexiblity advantage or if a strongman started grappling, they would possess a powerful grip and strength advantage.

What about a boxer who decided to learn grappling? What kind of physical attributes would they bring to the table that gives them an advantage over other beginners with no specific sports background?

Cardio for once.

reflexes, and motherfucking fast hand grip breaks.

I've trained with amateurs, pro & ex-pro boxers. they gas easily in sparring. the same way i gas easily in boxing. different sports. they are explosive though.

Nothing that I've ever noticed. Rock climbers bring a lot more to grappling than boxers do.

I've trained with amateurs, pro & ex-pro boxers. they gas easily in sparring. the same way i gas easily in boxing. different sports. they are explosive though.

I have heard that Joe Rogan say that striking cardio is different from grappling cardio and that grappling cardio improves your clinch game if your a striker, but I don't hear too much about boxing imroving your grappling game.

So is it safe to say that Yogis and strongmen bring better physical attributes to the table???

I have heard that Joe Rogan say that striking cardio is different from grappling cardio and that grappling cardio improves your clinch game if your a striker, but I don't hear too much about boxing imroving your grappling game.

So is it safe to say that Yogis and strongmen bring better physical attributes to the table???

Grappling cardio? lol

Wrestling cardio, maybe.

As opposed to yogis and strongman who dont get tired?

Cardio is the same, they just dont have any technique.

First post: I have a background in amateur boxing, started bjj 2 yes ago. I would say definitely cardio, and body awareness (or call it coordination). Good balance too. And probably a mind for the tactics side of things (or fight IQ).

Gymnasts and dancers are tough to grapple against. Great balance and physical awareness.

For anyone who has done both sports, you will know that the cardio is completely different. A boxer might have great cardio in the ring but put him on the mat, and it's a different story

For anyone who has done both sports, you will know that the cardio is completely different. A boxer might have great cardio in the ring but put him on the mat, and it's a different story

I agree its very different,and just because your a fit boxer doesnt mean you wont gas out when you grapple for the first time, but when compared to someone with no sporting background or even a sport where their cardio isn't generally as good it would be an advantage. Im not saying a boxer will have better cardio on the ground than someone who does BJJ or any other grappling sport.

I started bjj right after boxing. Cardio in boxing was vastly more demanding. It isn't even close in my book. Bjj was easy from a cardio perspective after boxing.

It is true that much of what people call cardio is just learning to relax and conserve energy. That's true for all combat sports. But it is much easier to sloth in bjj. That's part of its charm ... Easier for fatter and older folk.

Depends on the boxer, of course. But the guy who's training with us is explosive as hell, can change levels and cover distance very quickly, and has cardio and muscle endurance for days. His takedowns seems to benefit more than his groundwork, but that might just be me having sucky takedowns but decent groundwork.

I started bjj right after boxing. Cardio in boxing was vastly more demanding. It isn't even close in my book. Bjj was easy from a cardio perspective after boxing.

It is true that much of what people call cardio is just learning to relax and conserve energy. That's true for all combat sports. But it is much easier to sloth in bjj. That's part of its charm ... Easier for fatter and older folk.

Actually, I agree with this. It may be different in competition BJJ, but Ive never competed so I wouldn't know.

Back