What Kind of Trading Cards Did You Collect as a Kid?

Magic: the Gathering

Had a couple sets, display books and rare cards worth couple hundred euros/ dm back then easily. Sold all at age of 14 to some guy on a flew market extremely underpriced to get me a Gasmask, weed and atomic explosion poster.

<codychoke>

Want to punch my 18 year old self seeing how much some of my old MtG cards are worth after giving them away to my old buddy who sold them for beer money when he was in the Air Force. No Moxes or Black Lotus money cards, but a few of the old discontinued.

Want to punch my 18 year old self seeing how much some of my old MtG cards are worth after giving them away to my old buddy who sold them for beer money when he was in the Air Force. No Moxes or Black Lotus money cards, but a few of the old discontinued.
I feel you. I won't even dare to google some cards I had. Fuck it. Getting that gasmask, weed and atomic explosion poster was more important at these times.

I also sold the original Body Count Copkiller album before getting mildend.

You loose and you learn.

<Fedor23>

I feel you. I won't even dare to google some cards I had. Fuck it. Getting that gasmask, weed and atomic explosion poster was more important at these times.

I also sold the original Body Count Copkiller album before getting mildend.

You loose and you learn.

<Fedor23>

Never even thought about MtG until I saw a few of my subordinates playing on lunch break a couple years ago, started dropping card names and old series and they started asking if I still had my shit...then we looked up prices and I had to stop.

I actually bought six series 1 Garbage Pail Kid cards recently and put them in a frame because nostalgia.

I've been out of the sports card game for almost three years now. Can't really say I miss it considering how much buying wax has gone up.. and the biggest thing that killed it for me is grading. The hobby went from collecting and selling some random stuff to fund personal collection cards to having to be an investor to keep up with anything.

Now I just collect vinyl records again and trade crypto. No grading needed.

Never even thought about MtG until I saw a few of my subordinates playing on lunch break a couple years ago, started dropping card names and old series and they started asking if I still had my shit...then we looked up prices and I had to stop.
Damn, that must've hurt. I checked prices of Black Lotus, some Island and artifact cards because of some Sherdog thread about I think Pokeman. Was quite a short research aswell.

When I played Black Lotus was at 500 Euros now its 30k.

Glad I only had that as a copy, haha.

i was so poor that i never had those. i didn't even know they were a thing.
in eastern euro it wasn't a thing. after communism fell they started coming in slowly.
i found a bag that someone threw away, of Garbage Pail Kids cards, which were also stickers. felt like i had found a bag of gold at the time. spent many hours looking at them.
i still have them, now more than 30 years later, about 50 pieces. i doubt i'll ever throw them away.
My gf from poland collected chocolate bar packaging because it was something special to her as a kid. Still dreaming of mermaid barbie from back then.
She also showed me a photo of the line in front of first McDonalds opening up in Warsaw. And she was in that line herself with her mother.

Crazy stuff to grow up poor myself but see the side behind the curtain.

Keep those cards! They are priceless!

i can explain why because a lot of kids did this in my own country - they were one of the few colorful things we had access to as kids. it felt like a treasure.
Yea, she told me the same. It's getting a bit more colorful now, I'm in warsaw once a month mostly but it still reminds me of eastern germany 16 years ago.

And that is the liberal capitol. But damn, if I could choose I would move there in an instant.
I really love polish mentality. It's a cordiality and grounding I never experienced once in germany.

I actually bought six series 1 Garbage Pail Kid cards recently and put them in a frame because nostalgia.

I've been out of the sports card game for almost three years now. Can't really say I miss it considering how much buying wax has gone up.. and the biggest thing that killed it for me is grading. The hobby went from collecting and selling some random stuff to fund personal collection cards to having to be an investor to keep up with anything.

Now I just collect vinyl records again and trade crypto. No grading needed.
I recently learned more about these one touch magnetic cases. Some have enough space for the card to be inside a sleeve and have some anti-UV that lasts a few years. I saw Ultra Pro has one touch cases for 3x3 9 cards, 2x2 4 cards, 2x3 6 cards and they have holes to let you hang them. I'd still try to avoid sunlight.

I've listened to several podcast episodes about cards and all three people on there sound like complete douchebags acting all high and mighty like they're big time investing gurus and touting Bowman where the vast majority of prospects end up washed up and their cards worthless no matter how low the production run is for their parallel 1st Bowman cards or autos.

The more I hear about grading, the more I think it's a scam where I heard the big time grading service charges more based on the card's value and all sorts of express service fees. When I dug out my old graded cards, I graded guys like Ryan Howard, Stephen Drew, Melky Cabrera, Adam Dunn, thinking they were on track to have HOF careers. I also did A-Rod, Barry Bonds, Manny Ramirez, Sammy Sosa, Randy Johnson. If I grade again, I'd send '93 SP Derek Jeter, maybe '01 Topps Ichiro, '01 Bowman Albert Pujols.

Garbage pail Kids
Marvel
Desert Storm
Magic the Gathering
Being a fan of the video game series Ace Combat, I bought a few singles of Desert Storm fighter jets. The Topps cards seemed to have tons of errors in names not matching photo.

I used to collect all kind of sports cards from baseball to pro wrestling. I also had comic books and trading cards from Marvel and DC. I even had a PrideFC program book signed by Bas Rutten but I lost them all! Fvck hahahaa!

I used to collect all kind of sports cards from baseball to pro wrestling. I also had comic books and trading cards from Marvel and DC. I even had a PrideFC program book signed by Bas Rutten but I lost them all! Fvck hahahaa!
I thought I saw recently someone got Guy Mezger's and Bas Rutten's autographs through the mail.

I should have Rampage's in person auto somewhere, but can't find it.

I recently learned more about these one touch magnetic cases. Some have enough space for the card to be inside a sleeve and have some anti-UV that lasts a few years. I saw Ultra Pro has one touch cases for 3x3 9 cards, 2x2 4 cards, 2x3 6 cards and they have holes to let you hang them. I'd still try to avoid sunlight.

I've listened to several podcast episodes about cards and all three people on there sound like complete douchebags acting all high and mighty like they're big time investing gurus and touting Bowman where the vast majority of prospects end up washed up and their cards worthless no matter how low the production run is for their parallel 1st Bowman cards or autos.

The more I hear about grading, the more I think it's a scam where I heard the big time grading service charges more based on the card's value and all sorts of express service fees. When I dug out my old graded cards, I graded guys like Ryan Howard, Stephen Drew, Melky Cabrera, Adam Dunn, thinking they were on track to have HOF careers. I also did A-Rod, Barry Bonds, Manny Ramirez, Sammy Sosa, Randy Johnson. If I grade again, I'd send '93 SP Derek Jeter, maybe '01 Topps Ichiro, '01 Bowman Albert Pujols.
I got really tired of selling raw cards on eBay and have so many returns because the buyer didn't think the card would get the grade they wanted. I would disclose any and all blemishes the card had and I still got fucked on returns because of eBays policies.

Grading has gotten really expensive and wait times are awful... just so you can have some random asshole arbitrarily decide what condition the card is in.

Back in 09-12, I could buy a case of bowman draft for like $1000.. now it's triple that. I realize that you can sell the singles for more but up front cost is too risky these days to hope to even get your money back on it. We can thank all of the gambler in all of these live breaks for that. Honestly the real play nowadays is just buy cases and sit on them for couple years and wait for the players in that product to blow up and flip the unopened cases.

I thought I saw recently someone got Guy Mezger's and Bas Rutten's autographs through the mail.

I should have Rampage's in person auto somewhere, but can't find it.
I saw Rampage at a club once and he had a table with a few people. But his security would let us get near him LOL

I saw Rampage at a club once and he had a table with a few people. But his security would let us get near him LOL
I got mine at a meet and greet auto signing at a MMA shorts shop. This was before there were UFC trading cards.

I got really tired of selling raw cards on eBay and have so many returns because the buyer didn't think the card would get the grade they wanted. I would disclose any and all blemishes the card had and I still got fucked on returns because of eBays policies.

Grading has gotten really expensive and wait times are awful... just so you can have some random asshole arbitrarily decide what condition the card is in.

Back in 09-12, I could buy a case of bowman draft for like $1000.. now it's triple that. I realize that you can sell the singles for more but up front cost is too risky these days to hope to even get your money back on it. We can thank all of the gambler in all of these live breaks for that. Honestly the real play nowadays is just buy cases and sit on them for couple years and wait for the players in that product to blow up and flip the unopened cases.
I didn't know that type of return was a thing. Sounds unreasonable. I hate on eBay when sellers sell damaged cards without disclosing it.

RE: cases, what about redemption cards w/expiration dates?

baseball, nfl and nba during the junk wax era.

Also the older returnof the jedi film cards and the later Marvel universe series 2 and 3 and Jim Lee X-men.

spawn cards!
Spawn Trading Card Lot! 14 Cards! 1995 Series! | Comic Books - Modern ...

baseball, nfl and nba during the junk wax era.

Also the older returnof the jedi film cards and the later Marvel universe series 2 and 3 and Jim Lee X-men.
There should have been more Jim Lee series to follow up, or get John Byrne too.

Back