What Kind Of Set/Rep Ranges Do You Use For Front Squats?

Big H

Blue Belt
Reaction score
With a clean grip obv.

Anything over 3 reps my upper body is drained and my form goes to shit.

Do people do 5x5 with this?

Reps are going to depend on why you are doing front squats, but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do 5, 10 even 20 rep sets provided your form is good and you have the right weight.

If you're somewhat new to them then you will feel alot of stress on your upper body untill you get used to the movement

I've ran many different rep schemes, but I prefer low reps for Front Squats.

I plan to start incorporating front squats into my 5/3/1 routine as assistance on deadlift day, and I'm thinking of using either a 5x3 or 5x5 rep scheme, for some reason I find the idea of 5x10 front squats a bit scary...

I plan to start incorporating front squats into my 5/3/1 routine as assistance on deadlift day, and I'm thinking of using either a 5x3 or 5x5 rep scheme, for some reason I find the idea of 5x10 front squats a bit scary...

I did this, and 5 * 10 front squats feels great!

Prilepinchart.jpg

repetitioncontinuum.jpg

With a clean grip obv.

Anything over 3 reps my upper body is drained and my form goes to shit.

Do people do 5x5 with this?

No, not as a rule. 3 sets of 3, or 4 sets of 2 are good front squat workouts.

I found front squats at lower rep ranges, followed by an explosive exercise (squat jumps, split squat jumps) benefited me greatly. I found it helped me conquer a plateau I had trouble with for a very long time (both my vertical leap and squat 1RM). Typically, I stick to a 5x5, or 5x3 scenario when performing front squats.

Last edited:
I do 3x3, but that doesn't has much to do with frontsquats, its just because i do them on the middle day of a 3 day split, so I go for less volume and to give my glutes and hams a rest (front squat is more quad specific) so they are ready for regular squats and deadlift on my 3rd day. I do regular squats 3x5.
However in the last 6 months I do feel like my front squats have improved considerably using this rep range, tho that is confounded by the fact that I do other lower body exercises, so hard to say if it was the brilliant rep scheme that is good for my frontsquat.

I tend to do sets of 8-10 (usually 3) directly after back squats as assistance work.

With front squats I don't go any higher than 8 reps, usually 6 on the heavier sets. It's just killing me, I hate that exercise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back