• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is your pick for the worst moment in WWF/E history?

I think the answer to the OP's question is this thread.

It's between Owen and Benoit, honestly. Two avoidable tragedies concerning immensely talented performers, and the results of both are still felt today.
I don't know if Benoit was all that avoidable.

I don't know if Benoit was all that avoidable.

He didn't have to take all that head trauma. I'm sure somewhere along the line a doctor told to stop taking head shots and was ignored.

He didn't have to take all that head trauma. I'm sure somewhere along the line a doctor told to stop taking head shots and was ignored.
Sure, but you could say that about any pro-wrestler of that era. Even today, with all the safety measures, their brains are still getting shook up. Only one guy ever killed their family.

He was also a very weird and intense dude, by a lot of accounts. For all the "He was a nice guy" comments, there are also many "Yeah, he could be nice, but if we're being honest, he was very cold and distant as well, and just a weird motherfucker in general."

I lean towards him being perhaps a bit bi-polar, and Eddie's death sending him into a psychosis of some kind. I mean, IIRC they found a novel's worth of letters written to dead Eddie, who had also introduced him to religion(and thoughts of the afterlife) not too long before he passed. I wouldn't be shocked if he just snapped one day, and just wanted to take him and the family to be with Eddie in Heaven.

Sure, but you could say that about any pro-wrestler of that era. Even today, with all the safety measures, their brains are still getting shook up. Only one guy ever killed their family.

He was also a very weird and intense dude, by a lot of accounts. For all the "He was a nice guy" comments, there are also many "Yeah, he could be nice, but if we're being honest, he was very cold and distant as well, and just a weird motherfucker in general."

I lean towards him being perhaps a bit bi-polar, and Eddie's death sending him into a psychosis of some kind. I mean, IIRC they found a novel's worth of letters written to dead Eddie, who had also introduced him to religion(and thoughts of the afterlife) not too long before he passed. I wouldn't be shocked if he just snapped one day, and just wanted to take him and the family to be with Eddie in Heaven.

Very possibly. I think a mentally healthy pro wrestler is a fairly rare animal. Certainly he seemed to have demons beyond the physical brain damage, though that couldn't have helped anything.

Harley Race tried to tell him to stop doing the diving headbutt in the late 90s. If he wouldn't listen to one of his idols I doubt there's a doctor on Earth who would've been able to convince him otherwise.

Outside the ring Chris Benoit and inside the WWE/F deciding to go on with Over the Edge after Owen had died.

FWIW Stu Hart said he would've continued the show too.

Not counting tragedies there's a few that come to mind, two of them involve Big Boss Man oddly enough. First is the Kennel From Hell match between Al Snow and Big Boss Man. A complete travesty of a match where the 'rabid' dogs spent most of the time pissing, shitting, and humping. There's a version of this match that has Mick Foley doing some hilarious commentary over it though.

Next up is Undertaker against Big Boss Man in a Hell in a Cell match. Easily the worst HIAC match I've seen and the feud didn't even need the HIAC stipulation to begin with. This is the one that ends with Boss Man getting lynched in the cell at the end of the match.

Last up is the pretty much any women's match from the late 90's up to about 2005. Most of these matches were either joke matches like bra and panties matches, evening gown matches, lingerie mud bath matches, etc or were given 3 minutes and probably featured a 70-year old Mae Young going over younger talent. It took years for the division to recover from this era.

Last up is the pretty much any women's match from the late 90's up to about 2005. Most of these matches were either joke matches like bra and panties matches, evening gown matches, lingerie mud bath matches, etc or were given 3 minutes and probably featured a 70-year old Mae Young going over younger talent. It took years for the division to recover from this era.

I disagree. Part of the Attitude Era was all about showing women's assets. I mean that was the era when there was Val Venis, DX, The Godfather and others. It made people want to watch. It also made storylines like Right To Censor actually work. Additionally, early to mid 2000's women's matches were not that bad. You had women like Trish, Lita, Jazz, Victoria, Molly, Mickie James actually wrestling and putting on decent women's matches.

The real trash era of WWE women's wrestling was the Divas era from around 2008 ish to 2015 ish. That era is garbage. The Bella Twins, Eve Torres, Kelly Kelly, Natalya, Michelle McCool, Layla, AJ Lee, etc. The only good wrestlers around that Divas era was Beth Phoenix and Charlotte (if memory serves me correctly).

Another bad moment in the WWE era was anything involving The Great Khali. Guy couldn't wrestle to save his life, he could barely walk, had absolutely no mic skills and was definitely a Vince McMahon fetish for big men hiring.

Another bad moment in the WWE era was anything involving The Great Khali. Guy couldn't wrestle to save his life, he could barely walk, had absolutely no mic skills and was definitely a Vince McMahon fetish for big men hiring.
That Punjabi Prison match they made up trying to distract for what Khali was lacking was rough, looked bad on tv, probably looked bad live, and looked confusing to the wrestlers involved.

I remember the amount of people thinking maybe Batista isn't so bad when those 2 had a feud, Batista of all people had to carry Khali in the matches lol.

Khali was actually the "world" champion on Smackdown because everyone kept getting hurt (or popping for steroids after the Benoit thing like dumbass Ken Kennedy).

I wasn't watching wrestling anymore by 08 so I missed all those divas matches. The attitude era women's stuff, yes it drew ratings but that's definitely something that doesn't really hold up anymore and ultimately did long term damage to the division.

My point was that no one was taking the women's division seriously due to how they were portrayed during the Attitude Era. Even when Trish, Mickie James, Victoria, etc were actually trying to put on good matches around 03-04ish it was an uphill battle for the crowd and commentators to take them seriously.

And yeah Great Kahli was absolutely horrible and was given clean wins over people like the Undertaker lol. Guy could barely move let alone wrestle lmao

I disagree. Part of the Attitude Era was all about showing women's assets. I mean that was the era when there was Val Venis, DX, The Godfather and others. It made people want to watch. It also made storylines like Right To Censor actually work. Additionally, early to mid 2000's women's matches were not that bad. You had women like Trish, Lita, Jazz, Victoria, Molly, Mickie James actually wrestling and putting on decent women's matches.

The real trash era of WWE women's wrestling was the Divas era from around 2008 ish to 2015 ish. That era is garbage. The Bella Twins, Eve Torres, Kelly Kelly, Natalya, Michelle McCool, Layla, AJ Lee, etc. The only good wrestlers around that Divas era was Beth Phoenix and Charlotte (if memory serves me correctly).

I mean Debra vs Sable in an evening gown match from the May 10 99 Raw is still the most watched womens match in the past 35+ years.

I wasn't watching wrestling anymore by 08 so I missed all those divas matches. The attitude era women's stuff, yes it drew ratings but that's definitely something that doesn't really hold up anymore and ultimately did long term damage to the division.

My point was that no one was taking the women's division seriously due to how they were portrayed during the Attitude Era. Even when Trish, Mickie James, Victoria, etc were actually trying to put on good matches around 03-04ish it was an uphill battle for the crowd and commentators to take them seriously.

And yeah Great Kahli was absolutely horrible and was given clean wins over people like the Undertaker lol. Guy could barely move let alone wrestle lmao

So basically by the time you stopped watching you missed the Super Cena era and the coming up of Orton and Batista. I get what you are saying about women's wrestling but here is what you are missing. Yes, you are correct that the Attitude Era women's wrestling was comical and about sex. However, by the early to mid 2000's it was turning so of course it was going to take awhile for people to take it seriously.

The reason I think the Divas Era was worse though was because by the early to mid 2000's you had legit women wrestlers and even women like Trish and Lita (who were all about skin at one time) taking wrestling more seriously and you could see it in the matches. But then the WWE starts with the stupid set of WWE Diva searches. The whole Divas era were full of women who got prime booking who could never wrestle such as Christy Hemme, Candice Michelle, The Bella Twins, Ashley Massaro, Layla, Maryse, Eve Torres, Eva Marie, etc. So WWE went from let's take this seriously to let's just get some hot ass in the ring and it's one of the worst eras.

You can name some decent feuds before the Divas Era. Trish/Lita, Trish/Jazz, Molly/Victoria, etc. but I can't name one good or high level Divas Era feud. This doesn't even consider the fact that the WWE dropped the ball hard on Gail Kim.

Miz, sheamus, daniel b headling wrestle manias. F off

Loved the punjabi playboy. His hand grip on Bautista and flair are legendary. Prison match was cool too..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back