What is the most successful/highest percentage Judo throw?

I think kouchi is more important and easier to learn that timing and kuzushi aspect than deashi barai. But maybe it is just me. Ouchi should be taught before kouchi just so they understand how to get their legs inbetween, and how to sweep rather than reap. Most people teach o goshi first, but I actually pull off koshi guruma a lot, and I find it is easy to teach. I never heard of a neck injury from it, though.

High percentange is a matter of how much you practice vs. the skill of the other guy. But yes, basics are what can win it for you.

I think kouchi is more important and easier to learn that timing and kuzushi aspect than deashi barai. But maybe it is just me. Ouchi should be taught before kouchi just so they understand how to get their legs inbetween, and how to sweep rather than reap. Most people teach o goshi first, but I actually pull off koshi guruma a lot, and I find it is easy to teach. I never heard of a neck injury from it, though.

Yea, as long as you make sure people are grabbing the collar and not the neck injuries aren't too common. I find it's easier for me too. I just like to see begginer's do Ogoshi first. Oh well. It's all good. I think you're dead on about Ouchi and Kouchi though.

one second you'll all get a kick out of this

As of the time the list I'm searching for was created (mid-late 90's I think) the most ippons happen with

1 Ucimata
2 Seoi Nage
3 Kata Guruma

Lemme find the rest of the list.

But obviously you could take a never utilized throw like Yama Arashi and make it a beast in comps. if you made that your goal. So the list has t be put in perspective. Just because Uchimata is number one, doesn't mean that's the throw you shold practice the most.

JUDOGIDO has the best advice. Find your body type and skill set, and run with it from there.

*Goes and drils Yama Arashi 250 times*

MOUNTAIN STORM I SUMMON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Uchimata seems to work the best on just about anyone regardless of their size.

For me Uchimata, osoto-gari, and kubinage work the best.

I think Uchimata seems to work the best on just about anyone regardless of their size.

haven't heard of kuninage in ages.

IT WILL be in Karo's new book tho.

Pick that up BTW :D

see, basically, everybody who's really good gets really good at uchimata :)

yamashita hit it a lot and osoto was his favorite...

the zen answer is "whatever scores ippon, right then and there"

Uchi mata is probably the most complex throw in judo too. The thread starter is a noob, but uchi mata takes years to get right. Anyone who's really good gets good at uchi mata because you need good principles to do it right. That takes time. While I highly recommend he practices uchi mata for those reasons, I don't think he will pull it off much until he gets some experience.

That's why I recommended seoinage, koshi guruma and murote/osoto/ouchi gari. Those are simple and easy for noobs to learn. They will also help him learn the principles, but will allow him to have some weapons in shiai before he perfects uchi mata and the others. This will help to not discourage him and help him develop his fighting spirit.

My coach suggests that the easiest and safest throw is te-guruma.... since you can only really get countered with uchimata and it's a great all round counter

Most popular is definetly uhi-mata..

Uchi mata is probably the most complex throw in judo too. The thread starter is a noob, but uchi mata takes years to get right. Anyone who's really good gets good at uchi mata because you need good principles to do it right. That takes time. While I highly recommend he practices uchi mata for those reasons, I don't think he will pull it off much until he gets some experience.

That's why I recommended seoinage, koshi guruma and murote/osoto/ouchi gari. Those are simple and easy for noobs to learn. They will also help him learn the principles, but will allow him to have some weapons in shiai before he perfects uchi mata and the others. This will help to not discourage him and help him develop his fighting spirit.

C'mon man. how can Hane Goshi not be the hardest? Well they are kind of cousiins/brothers so I can see your point.

It really just depends on your build and the guy you are fighting. There is not one answer, there are many.

MAybe it is because I was taught how to walk properly in kata form early on, something that I do every time with the kids I teach,

I think kouchi has more complex kuzushi, foot movement and finishing movement and msot important a natural ukemi at the same time, it is hard to botch a deashi landing

this thread is hard to follow having only done bjj and not judo :icon_conf

Great list, but I would replace koshi gurumawith O-Goshi.

Koshi-guruma is rarely seen or used anymore and there's a lot of risk for neck injury.

Good call on ogoshi, but I would replace seoinage with it. I like to think you gotta own balance with hip throws prior to shoulder throws.

Good list from Frodo tho. Add footsweeps just for awareness.:)

I likes your judo Frodo.:)

I always feared the uchimata attack. Took so much effort to defend one compared to any other. Even crummy ones left you focused on defending them.

MAybe it is because I was taught how to walk properly in kata form early on, something that I do every time with the kids I teach,

I think kouchi has more complex kuzushi, foot movement and finishing movement and msot important a natural ukemi at the same time, it is hard to botch a deashi landing

Ironically, I learned the tempo and tech of some footsweeps quite quick compared to ko-ouchi gari. But once I did finally learn kouchi-gari it worked for me much more than ashi did in comp. Once you get the half-step in ko-uchi, its deadly effective. Footsweeps seem to take so long from my experience to set-up and took to much thinking for me.

I 'scored' most often with kouchi when I learned it more than any other easy. Not high scores but hit it often and the good attack would straighten fellas out.

I appreciate those that can do them(footsweeps) tho and think at least learning and fending them early really helps your judo.

Totally agree about your uchimata and thats partially why I feel that basic hip throws should be ingrained early. They will often all go to a powerful typical seoi soon enuff and you have to make sure that they don't drop the hip throws too early as has been what I've seen. The fulcrum in the hip throws has to be owned first imo. Plus, to make a greater seoinage down the road usually requires much more hips than the initial one we learned.

This is such a hard question. I see seoinage in so many matches I think it may be the answer. But then I think about myself and when I was a kid it was ouchi gari. Then Kuchiki taoshi(a leg pick sort of throw) then uchimata then seionage now kata guruma. I think it just comes down to what throws you are practicing and how confident you become in committing fully to that throw. I had a tournament on the weekend and I threw kata guruma 4 times two for ippon and two yukos. A year ago I would have never even tried that throw. It is high percentage for me right now maybe not so much in a year, when I decide what my new flavor of the month is.

Back