What is the likelihood that Demetrious Johnson gets an immediate rematch?

ThatGuy7698

In USADA We Trust
@Brown
Reaction score
  • Most dominate champion in UFC history.
  • Holds the record for most consecutive title defenses in the UFC.
  • Cleaned out his division while champion.

With all these points stated on Demetrious Johnson performance wise, how likely do you think it is that he will get an immediate rematch?

For me, I think the UFC won't. Even though he's a tremendous fighter, he's not marketable. He doesn't sell himself and the majority of people who casually watch MMA don't know who he is. I think the UFC would be more than happy to move on from DJ and try their luck with Henry Cejudo. Henry already wants to do what DJ wouldn't, and that's to challenge the UFC Bantamweight Champion. Someone like that is much more marketable than a guy who's happy to stay in a division with not a lot of talent and big names to fight.

Id say bout tree fiddy. No, in all seriousness, DJ deserves the rematch more than any champ in history. Cejudo can say what he wants about fighting the BW champ, but he has to defend his belt for that fight to even be relevant.

Very likely. I have 0 interest in Cejudo vs. any other flyweight

The same likelihood as Dana White doing the right thing.
He deserves it more than anyone who has recently been granted a rematch but something tells me it ain't happening. It's all about the $$$

I'd say it's quite likely. The rematch would have far more interest than Cejudo vs Benevidez or Pettis both of whom Henry has fought in the last 8 months. I think they'd be more interest in TJ fighting Cruz than Cejudo at this point at BW. Really depends how long DJ is out with his injuries though.

Who else?

Sergio Pettis - just lost to Cejudo less than 8 months ago.

Benavidez - had a pretty good case. Beat Cejudo just 8 months ago. Had only ever lost to DJ and Cruz. Was going on a 6 fight win streak since his last title shot. But then he blew it by a split decision loss to Sergio Pettis. So now he needs another win.
It would be darn right silly to snatch the rematch away from DJ if you're gonna give it to someone who's also coming off a loss.

Borg - last fight was a title shot

Formiaga - lost to Cejudo just 4 fights ago, and also lost to Ray Borg in 2017. Needs more wins.

Reis - coming off 2 losses.

The same likelihood as Dana White doing the right thing.
He deserves it more than anyone who has recently been granted a rematch but something tells me it ain't happening. It's all about the $$$

DJ's inflated self worth leads me to believe he'll ask for more than he's worth in the rematch, and Dana will put him on the shelf... and laugh while doing it.

If DJ can fight this makes sense for either the Dec or SB card as a co-main.

Really unbeatable champions are at their most sellable when they have been beaten or severely tested and we see a rematch to see if the first fight was a fluke or not.

See: Tyson - Holyfield II
Silva vs Sonnen II
Silva vs Weidman II
Rousey vs Nunes (rousey vs holm II would have sold all the PPVs).

Business wise this is the biggest fight they can make in the division and then they can try to get MM to go up win or lose.

That division is dead with MM dominating it. UFC would be wise not to do that so quickly.

nobody cares about mighty mouse.
Yeah, if Dana actually liked him, or he sold PPVs, I could see the UFC doing something for him.

But as things stand at least they'll make him fight someone else while Cejudo (possibly) makes them some money with the superfight MM wouldn't.

DJ's inflated self worth leads me to believe he'll ask for more than he's worth in the rematch, and Dana will put him on the shelf... and laugh while doing it.
I hadn't thought of it from that angle. Good point and it's extremely possible. Do you think the UFC will try to pay DJ less because he isn't champ anymore? I mean that would make sense but I don't think he is all of a sudden a lesser fighter bc he was finally beaten last night. As little interest as there is in that division there is no fight I'd like to see more than Cejudo - Johnson 3

• Most dominate champion in UFC history.
  • Holds the record for most consecutive title defenses in the UFC.
  • Cleaned out his division while champion.
With all these points stated on Demetrious Johnson performance wise, how likely do you think it is that he will get an immediate rematch?

For me, I think the UFC won't. Even though he's a tremendous fighter, he's not marketable. He doesn't sell himself and the majority of people who casually watch MMA don't know who he is. I think the UFC would be more than happy to move on from DJ and try their luck with Henry Cejudo. Henry already wants to do what DJ wouldn't, and that's to challenge the UFC Bantamweight Champion. Someone like that is much more marketable than a guy who's happy to stay in a division with not a lot of talent and big names to fight.

add to this list this was a split decision against a guy he ko'd in the first round in their first encounter

the rematch has to happen

In a legitimate sport? 100%

In the UFC where being a draw trumps all, and fans are too insecure themselves to appreciate one of the GOATs because he's a manlet? 5%

I doubt DJ will ask for a raise after losing. But they may not want him to regain the title thinking he will if he wins back the title.

Sounds like he might need some time off though, possibly some injuries. If so, I hope cejudo keeps defending rather than wait around

Id say bout tree fiddy. No, in all seriousness, DJ deserves the rematch more than any champ in history. Cejudo can say what he wants about fighting the BW champ, but he has to defend his belt for that fight to even be relevant.

Right. Its laughable people are suggesting he face TJ when he has yet to beat a large portion of the division. Dj should get a rematch. Rest of division doesnt have a clear #1

That division is dead with MM dominating it. UFC would be wise not to do that so quickly.
In what way is it alive as it sits now?

Right. Its laughable people are suggesting he face TJ when he has yet to beat a

In what way is it alive as it sits now?

A trilogy fight between MM and Cejudo is probably as big of fight as it gets in that division so I'd say there's a good chance.

Back