What is the Greatest Vietnam War Movie?

What is the Greatest Vietnam War Movie?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Narrowed it down to 10 on the poll. Will add more with your suggestions.

Vietnam can be summed up in a few scenes of Russian roulette. Not really but...

MAO! MAO! MAO!
DEERHUNTER2.gif

Apoc Now with Full Metal Jacket just behind, Deer Hunter was excellent in places but didn't quite hold together as well for me, was never much of a Platoon fan.

I guess Platoon is the best 'nam film, but Apocalypse Now is a better film than Platoon. Gotta give it to AN

The first half of FMJ is literally a masterpiece that is accurate as fuck. Paris island was a fucking awful evil place.

Second half is dated.

I recently saw Platoon and thought it aged badly.

Voted Apocalypse Now, but the first half of FMJ stomps the rest of the field into a rice paddy.

I think Apocalypse Now is the best film here, but Platoon is the best "Vietnam" film.

The first half of FMJ is literally a masterpiece that is accurate as fuck. Paris island was a fucking awful evil place.

Second half is dated.

I recently saw Platoon and thought it aged badly.

Platoon is way too on the nose politically for me, I mean I'd be firmly on Defoes side but it was so ham fisted I found myself almost rooting for Beranger.

Whilst yeah its not as individual as the first half I don't really see the second half of FMJ as being very dated. If anything I think it stands out as the Nam film that feels the most modern, a lot of what you see could with a few changes be thrown into something about Iraq or Afganistan.

Voted for 'We Were Soldiers Once and Young', the book was better than the movie. 'Casualties of War' would come in second. I thought 'Full Metal Jacket' and 'Platoon' really sucked.

It's Platoon, and I don't see how it's even close. FMJ is maybe in the same ballpark, maybe. But that's basically a great movie stitched to an ok movie.

Something I need to bring up: Dead Presidents is never even brought into these discussions. But it's a worthwhile movie to watch.

Back