What is the Greatest Vietnam War Movie?

What is the Greatest Vietnam War Movie?

• Total voters
The way he says FULL. METAL. JACKET. is pretty haunting. Phenomenal scene. R. Lee Ermey and D'Onofrio were really so great in that film. I couldn't help but think (and I haven't watched the film in years) that it lost a lot after this sequence and that the latter parts of the film were not as good as the Paris Island stuff.

That said, I haven't seen it in a long time and there are many people who dispute that. I have to give it another watch because, at this point, my memory of it is mainly of individual scenes- this one, the opening with Ermey absolutely lacing into the soldiers in basic training, and of course the scene with Joker and the prostitute.

I think Apocalypse Now is the best Vietnam war film, but it also is more of an allegory about human nature than a straight up war movie. I'd imagine many people would question it being given that distinction because it is not explicitly about the war but more uses the war as a setting for its narrative.
I agree the first half was superior.

platoon
Full metal jacket
Apocalypse now
Deer hunter
Hamburger hill
We were soldiers
Platoon leader
The green berets
Boys in company c
Casualties of war
Siege of fire base gloria

In order. Many others are just Loosely to do with the combat of nam(like born in the Fourth of July but deer hunter will always get a pass)

For me it has to be Platoon. I hated Apocalypse now and frankly I don't remember Full Metal Jacket I saw it so long ago. It's possible that I like that one more but I frankly don't remember loving it or anything so I'll probably never see it again. The one war I have no idea on is The Korean War. There's not many good movies for that.

Then the worm has definitely turned for you, my friend.
Then the worm has definitely turned for you, my friend.

270b1b53-2428-4097-a513-84aab2054b0a_screenshot.jpg

Apocalypse Now Ride of the Valkyries is GOAT cinema....70’s special effects that look like they were done today in 2018...amazing stuff. Then it takes a dive head first for me

I would say Full Metal Jacket as a whole is the best

Dead Presidents (1995) had an interesting Vietnam scene as well

Much better, more informative, and more dramatic than any of the movies listed, and I absolutely love some of them.

No competing with real life and real people from both sides brought to you in such a thorough and informative way.

For me it has to be Platoon. I hated Apocalypse now and frankly I don't remember Full Metal Jacket I saw it so long ago. It's possible that I like that one more but I frankly don't remember loving it or anything so I'll probably never see it again. The one war I have no idea on is The Korean War. There's not many good movies for that.
You should rewatch it. Remastered version.

Because of the way it was filmed, the Apocalypse Now Remaster looks HD as fuck. Despite its age.

It's Platoon, and I don't see how it's even close. FMJ is maybe in the same ballpark, maybe. But that's basically a great movie stitched to an ok movie.

Something I need to bring up: Dead Presidents is never even brought into these discussions. But it's a worthwhile movie to watch.

I've been thinking about Dead Presidents, for whatever reason, lately...

You've just inspired me to rewatch it

Thanks

Back