what is the Brazilian attitude/opinions of Frank Mir

I respect the fact that he always goes for the break immediately.

And that Mir/Nelson match is hella old. Mir was dominating in the beginning, then gassed. I bet he'd do better nowadays.

i don't know about the Brazilians but i like the guy...

yeah he might be a cocky as hell but at least you know if you face the guy, he would try and carry both of your arms out of the ring with him.

I respect the fact that he always goes for the break immediately.

And that Mir/Nelson match is hella old. Mir was dominating in the beginning, then gassed. I bet he'd do better nowadays.

Dominating? I didn't think he scored.

I've heard that big time BJJ guys think he's overrated and doesn't use his BJJ very well against quality fighters.

I didn't know Brazilians collectively felt a certain way about the man.

Well... yeah. Although most people who know who he is don't seem to like him. One of my training partner is a huge Frank Mir nuthugger. He thinks Mir is the coolest. Some serious bromance there. Otherwise, even though Brazil is not a hive where everyone thinks alike, people don't seem to be big fans of the Muracle here.

I've heard that big time BJJ guys think he's overrated and doesn't use his BJJ very well against quality fighters.

sounds like all hearsay to me, but if it's true then i would probably ask these big time bjj guys what their mma records are and what they've done in the sport of mma.

easy to be a critic.

disclaimer: i'm not a mir fan.

if you look at mir's game and especially his guard. His offense is very strong and imho his offense is alot stronger than his defensive technique and this becomes magnified against quality jiu jitsu practioners such as pe de pano and vera. IMHO if frank mir doesn't subit you in the first say min of his guard he is in trouble.

In my humble opinion it is due to him not competing in jiu jitsu that much at the higher belts against people his size in the brown and black belt lvl.

sounds like all hearsay to me, but if it's true then i would probably ask these big time bjj guys what their mma records are and what they've done in the sport of mma.

easy to be a critic.

disclaimer: i'm not a mir fan.

this.

MMA RECORD >>>>>>>>>>>BJJ RECORD.

Most don't like him, they think he's cocky.

I think you could say that about Americans' opinions of Frank Mir too, though.

Personally, I like Frank Mir. I think MMA fighters are supposed to be cocky. He's an incredible trash talker, and he takes it to a whole new level with his technique snobbery.

I think you could say that about Americans' opinions of Frank Mir too, though.

Personally, I like Frank Mir. I think MMA fighters are supposed to be cocky. He's an incredible trash talker, and he takes it to a whole new level with his technique snobbery.

Supposed to be cocky? Is that you Dana?

Not a fan. He seems to contradict himself a lot depending on if he's winning or losing.

I don't have scathing hate for him though.

this.

Its not about whos the better fighter under MMA, its about Mir being touted as a world class BJJ practitioner or the best BJJ heavyweight in MMA, both of which are incorrect. His very average on the ground but always barks on about how great he is, he makes BJJ guys look shit when he gets destroyed in half guard over and over again (Not saying Brock couldnt do that to alot of people, but his been beat that way before that).

Its not about whos the better fighter under MMA, its about Mir being touted as a world class BJJ practitioner or the best BJJ heavyweight in MMA, both of which are incorrect. His very average on the ground but always barks on about how great he is, he makes BJJ guys look shit when he gets destroyed in half guard over and over again (Not saying Brock couldnt do that to alot of people, but his been beat that way before that).

While I agree he's not necessarily a high-end BJJ guy, and I won't bother to discuss his prowess in MMA in either direction, I do want to clarify.

BJJ for MMA and straight BJJ are very different. His BJJ for MMA and straight BJJ can't really be compared. This is true for a lot of guys.

Also please try not to get upset about anything the UFC hype train says, it's job is to make you talk

i don't know about the Brazilians but i like the guy...

yeah he might be a cocky as hell but at least you know if you face the guy, he would try and carry both of your arms out of the ring with him.

"Sure he's cocky, but at least he tries to injure you !"

this.

That said, two of his best known submissions were applied to the wrong part of the limb. The kneebar on Lesnar looked like it was below the knee (I think a more experienced opponent would have escaped), and let's just say that if someone applied the Sylvia armbar in any grappling class, any decent instructor would say they were doing it wrong.

the sylvia armbar broke the forearm instead, am i right?

While I agree he's not necessarily a high-end BJJ guy, and I won't bother to discuss his prowess in MMA in either direction, I do want to clarify.

BJJ for MMA and straight BJJ are very different. His BJJ for MMA and straight BJJ can't really be compared. This is true for a lot of guys.

Also please try not to get upset about anything the UFC hype train says, it's job is to make you talk

I agree, but even for MMA his BJJ isnt that great. It was good around 2002, when being a purple belt actually mean't something in MMA, but nowadays everyone else has caught up.

Hahah Brazilians only have problems with cocky fighters when they're not Brazilian

Back